Running a pi headless using a Mac Mini ?

  • Stephen Farthing
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 21, 2013
      Hi Guys,

      I have just dusted off my pi model B and have managed to connect to it, using SSH, from my Mac Mini. I use the ethernet port on my Mac to connect to my broadband router. The Pi also connects to the router via an ethernet port.

      The 64 euro question is how I can use the pi's X Windows system with the Mac keyboard and screen. Has anyone achieved this? If so how...?

      73s Steve G0XAR
    • Brian
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 21, 2013
        --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Farthing <squirrox@...> wrote:

        > Hi Guys,
        >
        > I have just dusted off my pi model B and have managed to connect to it,
        > using SSH, from my Mac Mini. I use the ethernet port on my Mac to connect
        > to my broadband router. The Pi also connects to the router via an ethernet
        > port.
        >
        > The 64 euro question is how I can use the pi's X Windows system with the
        > Mac keyboard and screen. Has anyone achieved this? If so how...?

        Run an X-server on your Pi and then an X client (I use VNC) on your Mac. I've used this from a Mac Mini and a Macbook Pro.

        I've a custom version of the Pi OS with the required servers added (also SSH servers, FTP and webserver) which you are welcome to have a copy of. I developed it for use in schools, so pupils could access a R Pi from PC remotely.

        If you want to DIY it, you are welcome to my notes.

        Email me and I will give you a link to download it.

        73
        Brian
        G8OSN/W8OSN
        www.g8osn.net
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 21, 2013
          when you ssh, do: ssh -X <user>@<piaddress>

          then you can run GUI applications on the Pi displayed on your mac

          -Jim- N1JMM, KB1YPL_B Colchester Digital Group
          Visit my Pi http://n1jmm.no-ip.org
          Helpful Information on Ham Radio & Linux.

          On 9/21/13 8:33 AM, Stephen Farthing wrote:

          > Hi Guys,
          >
          > I have just dusted off my pi model B and have managed to connect to it, using SSH, from my Mac
          > Mini. I use the ethernet port on my Mac to connect to my broadband router. The Pi also connects to
          > the router via an ethernet port.
          >
          > The 64 euro question is how I can use the pi's X Windows system with the Mac keyboard and screen.
          > Has anyone achieved this? If so how...?
          >
          > 73s Steve G0XAR

        • tony_g3ovh
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 22, 2013

             After you have the MAC X-window system running from the Mac terminal screen with

            "ssh -X <user>@<piaddres>"

            then start the standard Pi desktop on your Mac by typing: "startlxde" on the terminal

            On my Macbook this puts the standard Pi desktop on one display page, and a second one with no icon bar on a second page. The normal Mac windows appear on top of it and can be minimised or moved elsewhere.

            I never failed to be amazed at the power and flexibility of X-windows running on these systems. The screen update speed seems to not be affected by running through the local network, and you have full access to the Pi desktop utilities.

            Tony