W8LM Affordable CPU and NETWORK Chips Heat Sinks

  • am_fm_radio
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 19, 2013
      In the Photo Department of this group I've posted pictures of my heat sinks. I've read about overclocking and decided that the commercially available ones are way too expensive ($9.95+ shipping). After all there is nothing cheaper than a ham radio operator (except a Scottish Ham operator)

      There is no question overclocking is going to causes more heat and running things like FLDIGI needs speed. I experimented with these heatsinks and am happy with my results. Sorry guys I don't have an accurate thermometer so I over clocked to 1Ghz. and downloaded ran programs and such for an hour, with the "cpu gas gauge full green". (CPU usage is displayed in a small box bottom right side of screen left of clock. Full green is 100% usage) These heatsinks got warm, almost hot to the touch but no crashes or burnt finger tips. I'm satisfied!! and I;m sure in a later posting someone will report temperatures. ( want to know your cpu speed? use the command -sudo lshw)

      Now that I have about 200 of these laying around and want to sell them off to my fellow hams as we all have grandiose ideas that some little gadget will fund our hobby and justify it to "those who must be obeyed" How can I possibly get them into the hands of Hams as effectively as possible?

      I looked at PAYPAL -- paypal wants 2.9% plus a $0.30 transaction fee... That's almost 40 cents. Then I have to supply postage and an envelope, address envelopes, on top of feeding the goats, dogs, chickens, cow and work my meaningless job. Only costs you more, RIGHT?
      After all you all ready have some of the stuff.. Envelopes and postage. You also have a drop of SUPER GLUE -(I could include a tube of SUPER GLUE but they are 2 for a $1.00 at the Dollar store plus the bus ride to go get them)

      So- Here's the deal- I'm not going to get rich...but you get 2 heat sinks. you SUPER GLUE them on as pictured. My junk box gets lighter. We be happy. No PAYPAL, No Money orders, No bank transfers. No Charge Cards. No big prices..

      This is what you need to do:
      1- #10 Business Envelope
      1- # 6-3/4 Envelope
      2- First Class Stamps -46 cents or FOREVER
      2- One Dollar bills.

      Obtain the above. Address the #6-3/4 envelope to YOURSELF. Place 1 stamp on it.
      Place the 2 one dollar bills with it into the #10 business envelope with the other stamp attached and mail it to me:

      Larry Macionski W8LM
      Old Goat Ranch
      6811 East 103rd Street South
      Mulvane, KANSAS 67110

      I will then place 2 of the heat sinks taped to a cardboard filler in the envelope addressed to you and mail it back. If I run out of heat sinks I will mail you back your $2.00.

      The Guarantee -If you don't get either, you can talk about me on the air for the rest of your life or post nasty things right here and drive the moderator goofy. After all if the post office looses them, it's me who ripped you off, not them. I'll take the caning.

      Apologies- to my friends not in the United States- Granted postage is just a bit more, but the post office will detect an object and require a customs manifest filled out. An expensive proposition because it's so time consuming. What can I say?

      73's

      Larry W8LM
      am_fm_radio@...
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 19, 2013
        No need for a thermometer, just use the command to display the CPU temp or run the little utility
        program to display it.. See my website...

        -Jim- N1JMM, KB1YPL_B Colchester Digital Group
        Visit my Pi http://n1jmm.no-ip.org
        Helpful Information on Ham Radio & Linux.

        On 9/19/13 8:53 AM, am_fm_radio@... wrote:

> [...]
        > and mail it to me:
        >
        > Larry Macionski W8LM
        > Old Goat Ranch
        > 6811 East 103rd Street South
        > Mulvane, KANSAS 67110
        >
        > I will then place 2 of the heat sinks taped to a cardboard filler in the envelope addressed to you
        > and mail it back. If I run out of heat sinks I will mail you back your $2.00.
        >
        > The Guarantee -If you don't get either, you can talk about me on the air for the rest of your life
        > or post nasty things right here and drive the moderator goofy. After all if the post office looses
        > them, it's me who ripped you off, not them. I'll take the caning.
        >
        > Apologies- to my friends not in the United States- Granted postage is just a bit more, but the
        > post office will detect an object and require a customs manifest filled out. An expensive
        > proposition because it's so time consuming. What can I say?

      • Am Fm
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 21, 2013
          Jim-
          Great Idea... I didn't take the time to load a C compiler, I just went for the compiled binary and went from there. However- I did have to chmod 755 so I could execute it. But no big deal..

          I first saw the cputemp at 115.8 and then started banging it with UTUBE video downloads so my cpu usage monitor has been full green ever since after 32 minutes cputemp is reading 119.6 after peaking at 121.6 within the first 5 minutes.... Heck we see those temperatures in the street of Las Vegas..
          So I'm approaching 45 minutes of 100% cpu usage... I have not been able to exceed 121.6 degrees and long term it's running 119.6.- CPU frequency is 700 mhz..

          ..
          rebooting and restarting at 1000mhz. CPU Turbo mode..

          Starting temperature at 1Ghz Turbo mode. 119.6 degrees..
           3 minutes into test cputemp 131.3 degrees
           5 minutes into test cputemp 131.3  (after seeing a peak of 132.2)
          10 Minutes into test cputemp 133.2         cpu showing 100% usage the entire time ( all green in CPU usage monitor)
          15 Minutes into test cputemp 133.2    Downloading SNL video's.
          20 Minutes into test cputemp 133.2

          OK I think we peaked... Time for bed... Now since I super glued my  heat sinks, I have no way to testing to see what temperatures are without any heat sinks. I'm sure someone will supply that info...

          I stopped my test and the cputemp dropped 10 degrees in 2 minutes!! with just LXterminal on the screen FYI..

          73's and Good Night---

          Larry W8LM