Help needed for newbie - Remote PTT

  • w8du_arnie
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 8, 2013
      Is anyone on this listserve good at programming Arduino or Rasberry Pi? I am looking for someone to program the following for remote ptt operation:
      1. Wait for button "ON" to activate relay.
      2. Start a countdown timer to timeout at 3 minutes
      4. Continue to monitor for button for "OFF". If pressed during countdown, deactivate relay, reset timer then go to step 1.
      4. At the end of the countdown, de-activate the relay
      5. IF button still on, wait until button is off.
      6. Go to step 1.

      I would also like to be able to manually issue button "ON" and button "OFF" via the web/ethernet.
      Can anyone help with this?
      Thanks...Arnie W8DU
    • am_fm_radio
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 8, 2013

        Arnie-

        By God- How are you doing?  Many moons have passed since you sold me that ICOM 756. It served me faithfully. To answer your question. The Arduino would serve you, and is easy to program. I'm sure you can do it..In fact once the bugs are worked out, you can breadboard an arduino with only the necessary components to make it run and "lock it down forever as once programmed, it will boot and run with just DC applied.

        Your talking less than 10 lines of programming to do that..All you need is a few nested loops.

        My question to you is if your controlling a radio, this almost sounds like echo link would fit the bill..Likewise most radio's today have TOT - Talk out timers.. which would let the radio shut down after 3 minutes whether locally keyed or remotely.

        Larry - W8LM - w8lm@...

        Old Goat Ranch

        Mulvane, KS

        --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, <raspberry_pi_4-ham_radio@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        Is anyone on this listserve good at programming Arduino or Rasberry Pi? I am looking for someone to program the following for remote ptt operation:
        1. Wait for button "ON" to activate relay.
        2. Start a countdown timer to timeout at 3 minutes
        4. Continue to monitor for button for "OFF". If pressed during countdown, deactivate relay, reset timer then go to step 1.
        4. At the end of the countdown, de-activate the relay
        5. IF button still on, wait until button is off.
        6. Go to step 1.

        I would also like to be able to manually issue button "ON" and button "OFF" via the web/ethernet.
        Can anyone help with this?
        Thanks...Arnie W8DU
      • Bob Scanferla
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 8, 2013

          Not that hard to do.....I am working on a repeater controller that fundamentally can do just that.

          I am working in Python (when I have time) and I decided to use the "PiFace" interface board available for the Raspberry to make my Hardware life much easier.  It has inputs outputs on-board relays and LEDs, and terminal strips........and plugs straight onto the Pi.....there are also Python modules to make the SW interfacing way easy.......

          Bob
          va3rjs

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 9, 2013

             Check out this book.
              Its starts off with the basics and builds on just what you are looking for.

            Mike AE4ML

            http://eqsl.cc/Member.cfm?AE4ML
          • Arnie
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 9, 2013
              Thanks Mike. I will check it out. I appreciate the tip.
              73...Arnie W8DU

              --
              http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Thereyouareduh.jpg