The Pi and Echolink Conferences

  • opelgtalex
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 27, 2013
      Hello to the group,
      I am looking to correspond with anyone that has set up their Pi to connect to an Echolink Conference, just connect, not act as a server or anything of that nature. I have some general questions on the feasibility of using a Pi to autoconnect to a conference, stay connected, reconnect if the IP address should roll (not having a static IP address at this time), and how much human intervention would be necessary to do this.
      Thanks for any help,
      Alex
    • John Ferrell
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 28, 2013
        You do realize that assigning a fixed IP (inside your own LAN) is really simple don't you?
        I am still working on that with windows...

        --
        John Ferrell W8CCW
        To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism.

          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 29, 2013
            Yes, I am quite familiar with assigning a fixed IP on the computer and router, my static IP address reference in my initial post was referencing the one assigned by the ISP to you, most are dynamic (rolling) IP's that change periodically- how frequently depends on your provider and other factors. A static IP costs more money on a monthly basis.
            Still looking to correspond from anyone that has used a Pi on an Echolink conference if there is anyone who has on this list, any info would be greatly appreciated!
            Thanks in advance,
            Alex

              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 29, 2013
                Hi John

                When you say 'on conference' are you meaning to use it as a 'conference server'? where others would
                be connecting in to your pi?

                If your only planning on using it for out-bound connections then the IP the isp assigns to you
                doesn't matter, the ip only really matters for inbound, and then you could possibly use one of the
                (free) dynamic hosting services such as no-ip or dyndns...

                -Jim- N1JMM, KB1YPL_B Colchester Digital Group
                Visit my Pi http://n1jmm.no-ip.org
                Helpful Information on Ham Radio & Linux.

                On 8/29/13 10:00 AM, opelgtalex wrote:
                > Yes, I am quite familiar with assigning a fixed IP on the computer and router, my static IP address reference in my initial post was referencing the one assigned by the ISP to you, most are dynamic (rolling) IP's that change periodically- how frequently depends on your provider and other factors. A static IP costs more money on a monthly basis.
                > Still looking to correspond from anyone that has used a Pi on an Echolink conference if there is anyone who has on this list, any info would be greatly appreciated!
                > Thanks in advance,
                > Alex
                >
                > --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, John Ferrell <jferrell13@...> wrote:
                >> You do realize that assigning a fixed IP (inside your own LAN) is really
                >> simple don't you?
                >> I am still working on that with windows...
                >>
                >> On 8/27/2013 10:44 AM, opelgtalex wrote:
                >>> Hello to the group,
                >>> I am looking to correspond with anyone that has set up their Pi to
                >>> connect to an Echolink Conference, just connect, not act as a server
                >>> or anything of that nature. I have some general questions on the
                >>> feasibility of using a Pi to autoconnect to a conference, stay
                >>> connected, reconnect if the IP address should roll (not having a
                >>> static IP address at this time), and how much human intervention would
                >>> be necessary to do this.
                >>> Thanks for any help,
                >>> Alex
                >>>

                >> --
                >> John Ferrell W8CCW
                >> To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism.
                >> To steal from many is research.

                > .

              • pmooney22
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 30, 2013

                  As Jim suggests, check out the dynamic hosting services. ddclient is in the RPi repository and works with them to give a 'pseudo-static' IP.

                  There's instructions at http://dnsdynamic.blog.com/2011/06/26/using-ddclient-with-dnsdynamic/

                  --- In raspberry_pi_4-ham_radio@yahoogroups.com, <n1jmm1@...> wrote:

                  Hi John

                  When you say 'on conference' are you meaning to use it as a 'conference server'? where others would
                  be connecting in to your pi?

                  If your only planning on using it for out-bound connections then the IP the isp assigns to you
                  doesn't matter, the ip only really matters for inbound, and then you could possibly use one of the
                  (free) dynamic hosting services such as no-ip or dyndns...

                  -Jim- N1JMM, KB1YPL_B Colchester Digital Group
                  Visit my Pi http://n1jmm.no-ip.org
                  Helpful Information on Ham Radio & Linux.

                  On 8/29/13 10:00 AM, opelgtalex wrote:
                  > Yes, I am quite familiar with assigning a fixed IP on the computer and router, my static IP address reference in my initial post was referencing the one assigned by the ISP to you, most are dynamic (rolling) IP's that change periodically- how frequently depends on your provider and other factors. A static IP costs more money on a monthly basis.
                  > Still looking to correspond from anyone that has used a Pi on an Echolink conference if there is anyone who has on this list, any info would be greatly appreciated!
                  > Thanks in advance,
                  > Alex
                  >
                  > --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, John Ferrell <jferrell13@...> wrote:
                  >> You do realize that assigning a fixed IP (inside your own LAN) is really
                  >> simple don't you?
                  >> I am still working on that with windows...
                  >>
                  >> On 8/27/2013 10:44 AM, opelgtalex wrote:
                  >>> Hello to the group,
                  >>> I am looking to correspond with anyone that has set up their Pi to
                  >>> connect to an Echolink Conference, just connect, not act as a server
                  >>> or anything of that nature. I have some general questions on the
                  >>> feasibility of using a Pi to autoconnect to a conference, stay
                  >>> connected, reconnect if the IP address should roll (not having a
                  >>> static IP address at this time), and how much human intervention would
                  >>> be necessary to do this.
                  >>> Thanks for any help,
                  >>> Alex
                  >>>

                  >> --
                  >> John Ferrell W8CCW
                  >> To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism.
                  >> To steal from many is research.

                  > .

                • Matthew Pitts
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 30, 2013

                    The Echolink system does a periodic update of connected stations, so I don't think having a static external IP address is an absolute requirement; I don't currently run a conference on a Raspberry Pi, but node 749507 is on a dynamic IP and is usually available for connections.

                    Matthew Pitts
                    N8OHU

                    Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

                    As Jim suggests, check out the dynamic hosting services. ddclient is in the RPi repository and works with them to give a 'pseudo-static' IP.

                    There's instructions at http://dnsdynamic.blog.com/2011/06/26/using-ddclient-with-dnsdynamic/

                    --- In raspberry_pi_4-ham_radio@yahoogroups.com, <n1jmm1@...> wrote:

                    Hi John

                    When you say 'on conference' are you meaning to use it as a 'conference server'? where others would
                    be connecting in to your pi?

                    If your only planning on using it for out-bound connections then the IP the isp assigns to you
                    doesn't matter, the ip only really matters for inbound, and then you could possibly use one of the
                    (free) dynamic hosting services such as no-ip or dyndns...

                    -Jim- N1JMM, KB1YPL_B Colchester Digital Group
                    Visit my Pi http://n1jmm.no-ip.org
                    Helpful Information on Ham Radio & Linux.

                    On 8/29/13 10:00 AM, opelgtalex wrote:
                    > Yes, I am quite familiar with assigning a fixed IP on the computer and router, my static IP address reference in my initial post was referencing the one assigned by the ISP to you, most are dynamic (rolling) IP's that change periodically- how frequently depends on your provider and other factors. A static IP costs more money on a monthly basis.
                    > Still looking to correspond from anyone that has used a Pi on an Echolink conference if there is anyone who has on this list, any info would be greatly appreciated!
                    > Thanks in advance,
                    > Alex
                    >
                    > --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, John Ferrell <jferrell13@...> wrote:
                    >> You do realize that assigning a fixed IP (inside your own LAN) is really
                    >> simple don't you?
                    >> I am still working on that with windows...
                    >>
                    >> On 8/27/2013 10:44 AM, opelgtalex wrote:
                    >>> Hello to the group,
                    >>> I am looking to correspond with anyone that has set up their Pi to
                    >>> connect to an Echolink Conference, just connect, not act as a server
                    >>> or anything of that nature. I have some general questions on the
                    >>> feasibility of using a Pi to autoconnect to a conference, stay
                    >>> connected, reconnect if the IP address should roll (not having a
                    >>> static IP address at this time), and how much human intervention would
                    >>> be necessary to do this.
                    >>> Thanks for any help,
                    >>> Alex
                    >>>

                    >> --
                    >> John Ferrell W8CCW
                    >> To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism.
                    >> To steal from many is research.

                    > .

                  • ml41782
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 30, 2013

                      if the issue is what is my outside IP then the best thing to do is setup ddns . That way you will always know what your outside(ISP)  IP address is.

                      --- In raspberry_pi_4-ham_radio@yahoogroups.com, <pmooney22@...> wrote:

                      As Jim suggests, check out the dynamic hosting services. ddclient is in the RPi repository and works with them to give a 'pseudo-static' IP.

                      There's instructions at http://dnsdynamic.blog.com/2011/06/26/using-ddclient-with-dnsdynamic/

                      --- In raspberry_pi_4-ham_radio@yahoogroups.com, <n1jmm1@...> wrote:

                      Hi John

                      When you say 'on conference' are you meaning to use it as a 'conference server'? where others would
                      be connecting in to your pi?

                      If your only planning on using it for out-bound connections then the IP the isp assigns to you
                      doesn't matter, the ip only really matters for inbound, and then you could possibly use one of the
                      (free) dynamic hosting services such as no-ip or dyndns...

                      -Jim- N1JMM, KB1YPL_B Colchester Digital Group
                      Visit my Pi http://n1jmm.no-ip.org
                      Helpful Information on Ham Radio & Linux.

                      On 8/29/13 10:00 AM, opelgtalex wrote:
                      > Yes, I am quite familiar with assigning a fixed IP on the computer and router, my static IP address reference in my initial post was referencing the one assigned by the ISP to you, most are dynamic (rolling) IP's that change periodically- how frequently depends on your provider and other factors. A static IP costs more money on a monthly basis.
                      > Still looking to correspond from anyone that has used a Pi on an Echolink conference if there is anyone who has on this list, any info would be greatly appreciated!
                      > Thanks in advance,
                      > Alex
                      >
                      > --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, John Ferrell <jferrell13@...> wrote:
                      >> You do realize that assigning a fixed IP (inside your own LAN) is really
                      >> simple don't you?
                      >> I am still working on that with windows...
                      >>
                      >> On 8/27/2013 10:44 AM, opelgtalex wrote:
                      >>> Hello to the group,
                      >>> I am looking to correspond with anyone that has set up their Pi to
                      >>> connect to an Echolink Conference, just connect, not act as a server
                      >>> or anything of that nature. I have some general questions on the
                      >>> feasibility of using a Pi to autoconnect to a conference, stay
                      >>> connected, reconnect if the IP address should roll (not having a
                      >>> static IP address at this time), and how much human intervention would
                      >>> be necessary to do this.
                      >>> Thanks for any help,
                      >>> Alex
                      >>>

                      >> --
                      >> John Ferrell W8CCW
                      >> To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism.
                      >> To steal from many is research.

                      > .

                    • opelgtalex
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 30, 2013
                        Hello To the group,
                        I appreciate the responses, however, I don't know if any of you read the content of my original post, in case you glanced over it here it is:

                        "I am looking to correspond with anyone that has set up their Pi to connect to an Echolink Conference, just connect, not act as a server or anything of that nature. I have some general questions on the feasibility of using a Pi to autoconnect to a conference, stay connected, reconnect if the IP address should roll (not having a static IP address at this time), and how much human intervention would be necessary to do this."

                        Thank you,
                        Alex

                        --- In raspberry_pi_4-ham_radio@yahoogroups.com, <ml41782@...> wrote:

                        if the issue is what is my outside IP then the best thing to do is setup ddns . That way you will always know what your outside(ISP)  IP address is.

                        --- In raspberry_pi_4-ham_radio@yahoogroups.com, <pmooney22@...> wrote:

                        As Jim suggests, check out the dynamic hosting services. ddclient is in the RPi repository and works with them to give a 'pseudo-static' IP.

                        There's instructions at http://dnsdynamic.blog.com/2011/06/26/using-ddclient-with-dnsdynamic/

                        --- In raspberry_pi_4-ham_radio@yahoogroups.com, <n1jmm1@...> wrote:

                        Hi John

                        When you say 'on conference' are you meaning to use it as a 'conference server'? where others would
                        be connecting in to your pi?

                        If your only planning on using it for out-bound connections then the IP the isp assigns to you
                        doesn't matter, the ip only really matters for inbound, and then you could possibly use one of the
                        (free) dynamic hosting services such as no-ip or dyndns...

                        -Jim- N1JMM, KB1YPL_B Colchester Digital Group
                        Visit my Pi http://n1jmm.no-ip.org
                        Helpful Information on Ham Radio & Linux.

                        On 8/29/13 10:00 AM, opelgtalex wrote:
                        > Yes, I am quite familiar with assigning a fixed IP on the computer and router, my static IP address reference in my initial post was referencing the one assigned by the ISP to you, most are dynamic (rolling) IP's that change periodically- how frequently depends on your provider and other factors. A static IP costs more money on a monthly basis.
                        > Still looking to correspond from anyone that has used a Pi on an Echolink conference if there is anyone who has on this list, any info would be greatly appreciated!
                        > Thanks in advance,
                        > Alex
                        >
                        > --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, John Ferrell <jferrell13@...> wrote:
                        >> You do realize that assigning a fixed IP (inside your own LAN) is really
                        >> simple don't you?
                        >> I am still working on that with windows...
                        >>
                        >> On 8/27/2013 10:44 AM, opelgtalex wrote:
                        >>> Hello to the group,
                        >>> I am looking to correspond with anyone that has set up their Pi to
                        >>> connect to an Echolink Conference, just connect, not act as a server
                        >>> or anything of that nature. I have some general questions on the
                        >>> feasibility of using a Pi to autoconnect to a conference, stay
                        >>> connected, reconnect if the IP address should roll (not having a
                        >>> static IP address at this time), and how much human intervention would
                        >>> be necessary to do this.
                        >>> Thanks for any help,
                        >>> Alex
                        >>>

                        >> --
                        >> John Ferrell W8CCW
                        >> To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism.
                        >> To steal from many is research.

                        > .

                      • Matthew Pitts
                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 30, 2013

                          Alex,

                          It depends on which software you're going to use as to the level of intervention needed; I can probably explain how to do it with thelinkbox, which is what I am setting up for a fellow ham.

                        • opelgtalex
                          Message 12 of 13 , Aug 30, 2013

                             Hello Matthew,

                            Thank you so much for the reply! That is great to hear and I did a little reading on thelinkbox and that sounds like what I would need to make this happen.

                            I will do a little more reading on the subject and contact you off list if possible.

                            Again, thank you for the reply,

                            Alex

                          • Matthew Pitts
                            Message 13 of 13 , Aug 31, 2013

                              Alex,

                              That would be good; I'm at a family gathering until Monday afternoon, so I don't have access to any of my Raspberry Pi computers to do any scripting.