Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Re: Pseudo TTY

  • JJ
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 27, 2013
      On 13-08-27 09:08 AM, Jean Létourneau wrote:

      Hi John,
      My Raspberry do not use GRUB, Thanks

      Jean

      On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 9:22 AM, JJ <ve1jot@...> wrote:

      On 13-08-26 10:12 AM, G8BPQ wrote:

      Jean,

      Pseudo TTY devices are normally created by programs when they are needed. There is some very old software that uses an older system of pre-created pty devices, but support for these isn't in the standard PI Kernel. There may be someone who has build a kernel with the necessary option (CONFIG_LEGACY_PTYS) set, but if not you'd need to build your own Kernel to use these.

      73, John

      --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Jean Létourneau <ve2pkt@...> wrote:

      > Good day,
      >
      > I need top add pseudo TTY to my raspberry, how I can do that?
      > I tried the,*mkdev ptty* but no go, MKDEV dosen't exist and can't find it

      > anywhere. I also tried:
      >
      > I have added these lines in /etc/udev/rules.d/udev.rules
      > (found with google)
      >
      > # pty devices
      > KERNEL="pty[p-za-e][0-9a-f]*", NAME="pty/m%n", SYMLINK="%k"
      > KERNEL="tty[p-za-e][0-9a-f]*", NAME="pty/s%n", SYMLINK="%k"
      >
      > still no go.
      > any one can help?
      >
      > Jean
      >
      > -

      Ok, no need to recompile etc etc., if it uses grub to boot, just edit "/etc/default/grub" and add ""pty.legacy_count=10" to the "GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT" line, run "update-grub" as root and bingo, 10 pseudo tty's all available for legacy programs...

      --

      Sysop de: VE2PKT (BBS), VE2PKT-3 (X-NET),VE2PKT-4, VE2RAJ (XRouter)
             : VE2RCN-1, VE2RDL-1, VE2RGC-1, VE2RVA-1, (The-Net)

      Internet:
      Telnet xrouter-ve2pkt.dyndns.org port 23 (Network Node)
      Telnet fbb-ve2pkt.dyndns.org port 6300 (FBB BBS)
      Telnet ve2pkt.dyndns.org port 9000 (DXCluster)

      E-Mail:
      packet:   ve2pkt@ve2pkt.#qbc.qc.can.noam
      ampr net: ve2pkt@...
      Inet:     ve2pkt@... or ve2pkt@...

      ahhh, ok, it must use some kind of bootloader tho? I'm just trying to figure out how to pass that param to the kernel on boot...

    • JJ
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 27, 2013
        On 13-08-27 10:54 AM, John Wiseman wrote:

        No, the PI doesn't use grub. Kernel parameters are supplied in file /boot/cmdline.txt.

        But that won't help. Most kernels that I've come acress are built with config options

        CONFIG_LEGACY_PTYS=y

        CONFIG_LEGACY_PTY_COUNT=0

        So the legacy pty supports it there, but disabled by setting count=0. The kernel parmeter PTY.legacy_count overrides this.

        The standard PI kernel is buiit with CONFIG_LEGACY_PTY unset, so the support isn't in the kernel, and setting that parameter won't do anything.

        73, John

      Message 3 of 12 , Aug 27, 2013
        Hi John,
          Yes I did and still tryed on a PI, model B, and I used 2013-07-26-wheezy-raspbian as distro.
        I might to re-install, I tried so many thing I start getting errors HI..

        Cheers. Jean

        On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 11:42 AM, John Wiseman <john.wiseman@...> wrote:

[...]

      • Bernard, f6bvp
        Message 4 of 12 , Aug 28, 2013
          Hello Jean,

          Are you sure the software you want to use will not accept an Unix97
          pseudo tty ?

          Could you tell us the name of the program you want to use.
          It might help.

          73 de Bernard, f6bvp