Re: Pseudo TTY

  • G8BPQ
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 26, 2013
      Jean,

      Pseudo TTY devices are normally created by programs when they are needed. There is some very old software that uses an older system of pre-created pty devices, but support for these isn't in the standard PI Kernel. There may be someone who has build a kernel with the necessary option (CONFIG_LEGACY_PTYS) set, but if not you'd need to build your own Kernel to use these.

      73, John

      --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Jean Létourneau <ve2pkt@...> wrote:

      > Good day,
      >
      > I need top add pseudo TTY to my raspberry, how I can do that?
      > I tried the,*mkdev ptty* but no go, MKDEV dosen't exist and can't find it
      > anywhere. I also tried:
      >
      > I have added these lines in /etc/udev/rules.d/udev.rules
      > (found with google)
      >
      > # pty devices
      > KERNEL="pty[p-za-e][0-9a-f]*", NAME="pty/m%n", SYMLINK="%k"
      > KERNEL="tty[p-za-e][0-9a-f]*", NAME="pty/s%n", SYMLINK="%k"
      >
      > still no go.
      > any one can help?
      >
      > Jean
      >
      > -

    • JJ
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 27, 2013
        On 13-08-26 10:12 AM, G8BPQ wrote:

        Jean,

        Pseudo TTY devices are normally created by programs when they are needed. There is some very old software that uses an older system of pre-created pty devices, but support for these isn't in the standard PI Kernel. There may be someone who has build a kernel with the necessary option (CONFIG_LEGACY_PTYS) set, but if not you'd need to build your own Kernel to use these.

        73, John

        --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Jean Létourneau <ve2pkt@...> wrote:

        > Good day,
        >
        > I need top add pseudo TTY to my raspberry, how I can do that?
        > I tried the,*mkdev ptty* but no go, MKDEV dosen't exist and can't find it
        > anywhere. I also tried:
        >
        > I have added these lines in /etc/udev/rules.d/udev.rules
        > (found with google)
        >
        > # pty devices
        > KERNEL="pty[p-za-e][0-9a-f]*", NAME="pty/m%n", SYMLINK="%k"
        > KERNEL="tty[p-za-e][0-9a-f]*", NAME="pty/s%n", SYMLINK="%k"
        >
        > still no go.
        > any one can help?
        >
        > Jean
        >
        > -

        Ok, no need to recompile etc etc., if it uses grub to boot, just edit "/etc/default/grub" and add ""pty.legacy_count=10" to the "GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT" line, run "update-grub" as root and bingo, 10 pseudo tty's all available for legacy programs...

        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 27, 2013
          Have you actually tried this on a Raspberry PI? If so, which distributon did you use?

          73, John

          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 27, 2013
            On 13-08-27 08:42 AM, John Wiseman wrote:

            Have you actually tried this on a Raspberry PI? If so, which distributon did you use?

            73, John

            Ok, no need to recompile etc etc., if it uses grub to boot, just edit "/etc/default/grub" and add ""pty.legacy_count=10" to the "GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT" line, run "update-grub" as root and bingo, 10 pseudo tty's all available for legacy programs...

            no, does wheezy not use grub on the pi?

          • Jean Létourneau
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 27, 2013
              Hi John,
              My Raspberry do not use GRUB, Thanks

              Jean

              --

              Sysop de: VE2PKT (BBS), VE2PKT-3 (X-NET),VE2PKT-4, VE2RAJ (XRouter)
                     : VE2RCN-1, VE2RDL-1, VE2RGC-1, VE2RVA-1, (The-Net)

              Internet:
              Telnet xrouter-ve2pkt.dyndns.org port 23 (Network Node)
              Telnet fbb-ve2pkt.dyndns.org port 6300 (FBB BBS)
              Telnet ve2pkt.dyndns.org port 9000 (DXCluster)

              E-Mail:
              packet:   ve2pkt@ve2pkt.#qbc.qc.can.noam
              ampr net: ve2pkt@...
              Inet:     ve2pkt@... or ve2pkt@...

            • JJ
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 27, 2013
                On 13-08-27 08:42 AM, John Wiseman wrote:

                Have you actually tried this on a Raspberry PI? If so, which distributon did you use?

                73, John

                Ok, no need to recompile etc etc., if it uses grub to boot, just edit "/etc/default/grub" and add ""pty.legacy_count=10" to the "GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT" line, run "update-grub" as root and bingo, 10 pseudo tty's all available for legacy programs...

                I've used it on all kernels since the change thru various distributions...it's a kernel boot parameter, or you can recompile kernel to support legacy...I usually use the grub bootloader and edit the /etc/default/grub file...then I don't worry about updates to my "custom" kernel if I had recompiled...
                HTH
                (maybe pi doesn't use grub? if not, there has to be a way to pass that param to the kernel at boot time)

              • JJ
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 27, 2013
                  On 13-08-27 09:08 AM, Jean Létourneau wrote:

                  Hi John,
                  My Raspberry do not use GRUB, Thanks

                  Jean

                  On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 9:22 AM, JJ <ve1jot@...> wrote:

                  On 13-08-26 10:12 AM, G8BPQ wrote:

                  Jean,

                  Pseudo TTY devices are normally created by programs when they are needed. There is some very old software that uses an older system of pre-created pty devices, but support for these isn't in the standard PI Kernel. There may be someone who has build a kernel with the necessary option (CONFIG_LEGACY_PTYS) set, but if not you'd need to build your own Kernel to use these.

                  73, John

                  --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Jean Létourneau <ve2pkt@...> wrote:

                  > Good day,
                  >
                  > I need top add pseudo TTY to my raspberry, how I can do that?
                  > I tried the,*mkdev ptty* but no go, MKDEV dosen't exist and can't find it

                  > anywhere. I also tried:
                  >
                  > I have added these lines in /etc/udev/rules.d/udev.rules
                  > (found with google)
                  >
                  > # pty devices
                  > KERNEL="pty[p-za-e][0-9a-f]*", NAME="pty/m%n", SYMLINK="%k"
                  > KERNEL="tty[p-za-e][0-9a-f]*", NAME="pty/s%n", SYMLINK="%k"
                  >
                  > still no go.
                  > any one can help?
                  >
                  > Jean
                  >
                  > -

                  Ok, no need to recompile etc etc., if it uses grub to boot, just edit "/etc/default/grub" and add ""pty.legacy_count=10" to the "GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT" line, run "update-grub" as root and bingo, 10 pseudo tty's all available for legacy programs...

                  --

                  Sysop de: VE2PKT (BBS), VE2PKT-3 (X-NET),VE2PKT-4, VE2RAJ (XRouter)
                         : VE2RCN-1, VE2RDL-1, VE2RGC-1, VE2RVA-1, (The-Net)
                         : VE2PKT-9 (DXCluster), VE2PKT-10 (Winlink Gateway)
                  RF:
                  147.435 Mhz (1200 Bps)

                  Internet:
                  Telnet xrouter-ve2pkt.dyndns.org port 23 (Network Node)
                  Telnet fbb-ve2pkt.dyndns.org port 6300 (FBB BBS)
                  Telnet ve2pkt.dyndns.org port 9000 (DXCluster)

                  E-Mail:
                  packet:   ve2pkt@ve2pkt.#qbc.qc.can.noam
                  ampr net: ve2pkt@...
                  Inet:     ve2pkt@... or ve2pkt@...

                  ahhh, ok, it must use some kind of bootloader tho? I'm just trying to figure out how to pass that param to the kernel on boot...

                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 27, 2013
                    No, the PI doesn't use grub. Kernel parameters are supplied in file /boot/cmdline.txt.

                    But that won't help. Most kernels that I've come acress are built with config options

                    CONFIG_LEGACY_PTYS=y

                    CONFIG_LEGACY_PTY_COUNT=0

                    So the legacy pty supports it there, but disabled by setting count=0. The kernel parmeter PTY.legacy_count overrides this.

                    The standard PI kernel is buiit with CONFIG_LEGACY_PTY unset, so the support isn't in the kernel, and setting that parameter won't do anything.

                    73, John

                      On 13-08-27 08:42 AM, John Wiseman wrote:

                      Have you actually tried this on a Raspberry PI? If so, which distributon did you use?

                      73, John

                      Ok, no need to recompile etc etc., if it uses grub to boot, just edit "/etc/default/grub" and add ""pty.legacy_count=10" to the "GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT" line, run "update-grub" as root and bingo, 10 pseudo tty's all available for legacy programs...

                      no, does wheezy not use grub on the pi?

                      ahh, ok, thanks for clarifying John...out of curiosity, why have they done that?
                      Cheers,
                      John

                  • Jean Létourneau
                    Message 10 of 12 , Aug 27, 2013
                      Hi John,
                        Yes I did and still tryed on a PI, model B, and I used 2013-07-26-wheezy-raspbian as distro.
                      I might to re-install, I tried so many thing I start getting errors HI..

                      Cheers. Jean

                      On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 11:42 AM, John Wiseman <john.wiseman@...> wrote:

[...]

                    • Bernard, f6bvp
                      Message 11 of 12 , Aug 28, 2013
                        Hello Jean,

                        Are you sure the software you want to use will not accept an Unix97
                        pseudo tty ?

                        Could you tell us the name of the program you want to use.
                        It might help.

                        73 de Bernard, f6bvp