New to the group and to the Pi

  • ka2myd
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 15, 2013
      Good day;

      I just ordered my Raspberry Pi today.

      I am new to the pi and to Linux. I did mess with Linux a little, very little about fifteen years ago, but have forgotten all that I knew.

      I am thinking about buying some books on the Pi. What are some good ones to get?

      Also what are some goo ham applications for the Pi?
      Has anyone tried to run three on the TNC X boards of one PI?

      I may be a newbe, but I have a lot of questions.
      73
      Tom
      AD2TM
    • Mathison Ott
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 16, 2013
        Use Google!!!

        you shouldn't have to buy a single book...

        Mathison

        On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 7:15 PM, ka2myd <ad2tm@...> wrote:

        Good day;

        I just ordered my Raspberry Pi today.

        I am new to the pi and to Linux. I did mess with Linux a little, very little about fifteen years ago, but have forgotten all that I knew.

        I am thinking about buying some books on the Pi. What are some good ones to get?

        Also what are some goo ham applications for the Pi?
        Has anyone tried to run three on the TNC X boards of one PI?

        I may be a newbe, but I have a lot of questions.
        73
        Tom
        AD2TM

      • John Ferrell
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 16, 2013
          There are quite a few good books available but they will always be behind the info on the Web. The Adafruit website is pretty complete and also has tutorials from opening the box and up. They are quick on delivery and only a few dollars high on the PI. I think shipping is a flat $4.50.
          Some people do learn quicker from books than screens.
          As for the Ham applications the Pi is simply a multi processing computer wit h physical access to the hardware. In addition to the existing Linux applications more are coming along every day.
          Linux is a lot more friendly than it was 15 years ago.  Command line operation is still the best way to gain absolute control of the machine and is especially important to those who want to do the most with the machine. [Side note: there is a Distro "Kubuntu" that comes with everything most Windows Users want. I wonder if the Pi will run it? I am putting it on my ToDo list...]
          To totally change the personality of the machine you can simply swap out the SD card. A new 8GB SD card is about $10 at WalMart. I understand that they are life limited but I have not yet had a problem. Nearly everything you might want to try fits in 8GB. 4GB is enough for most folks most of the time. If a specific application is all that is needed, a 2GB will probably do. Setting up a display the first time was frustrating for me. There is not a VGA port! An adapter to run a VGA monitor from the HDMI port was $30 from Newark. The Composite Video quality on my cheapie portable TV was barely tolerable. Not to worry though. It is easy to set up the Pi to talk to a Windows machine on your home network. Load the free program "Putty" on the Windows side, SSH on the Linux side.  I use a GUI frequently through Windows remote desktop.
          Welcome to the New World! Expect a lot of frustration but even more gratification...
          de W8CCW

          --
          John Ferrell W8CCW
          To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism.
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 16, 2013
            I just got my Pi two weeks ago and found "The Raspberry Pi User Guide" to be very helpful in getting set up and started. Otherwise, Google is your best friend as there are lots of on line resources. Whenever I found an interesting page, I printed a pdf of the page and set it aside in case I needed it again.

            There is a "Quick Start Guide-v2" on line (google it) and it is also a great resource in telling you how to set up the SD card.

            The SD cards are cheap and easy to set up. Once I got a basic load developed with all of my config options and settings, I made an image and stored it. Now, I can just load that image onto a new card and everything is ready to go for a new project. I have one card dedicated to a JNOS BBS and I am working on another card for my Weather Station.

            Have fun.

            Logan, KZ6O