Just joined

  • Philip
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 5, 2012
      Hi folks, thanks for having me...

      Names Philip (G4JVF), ex TV service engineer, wrong side of 65, not the sharpest knife in the drawer nowadays and to cap it all, a total noob with Linux.

      Anyhoo, I like tinkering with QRP beacons on WSPR and QRSS so I had thoughts of maybe getting a Raspberry Pi to somehow integrate with all this.
      Last night, following instructions on the HamRadioScience site, I got my Pi to serve via TCP, data from an RTL dongle to SDR# on my PC.
      Works very nicely...

      Holy grail to me would be to get something like ARGO running on a Pi for low power usage QRSS grabber sessions but maybe that's not possible....I don't know..

      OK, off to read through all the posts and files on here...

      Regards
      Philip G4JVF
    • Alan Melia
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 6, 2012
        Hi Philip there is no version of Argo that runs under Linux, though it does
        run with WINE I think this might be too much for the raspi. There was a
        recent query about a Linux waterfall program that you may find in the
        archive at the web site.

        Alan
        G3NYK
        > Names Philip (G4JVF), ex TV service engineer, wrong side of 65, not the
        > sharpest knife in the drawer nowadays and to cap it all, a total noob with
        > Linux.
        >
        > Anyhoo, I like tinkering with QRP beacons on WSPR and QRSS so I had
        > thoughts of maybe getting a Raspberry Pi to somehow integrate with all
        > this.
        > Last night, following instructions on the HamRadioScience site, I got my
        > Pi to serve via TCP, data from an RTL dongle to SDR# on my PC.
        > Works very nicely...
        >
        > Holy grail to me would be to get something like ARGO running on a Pi for
        > low power usage QRSS grabber sessions but maybe that's not possible....I
        > don't know..
        >
        > OK, off to read through all the posts and files on here...
        >
        > Regards
        > Philip G4JVF

      • siegfried jackstien
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 6, 2012
          Hi Philip

          I do not have a raspberry (yet)... but I plan to order one for exactly that
          (remote sdr on the raspi acting as i/q server) ... may I ask you some
          questions if I have my raspi and have trouble with the setup ?!?

          Greetz dg9bfc

          Sigi

        • Kutche, Jerry (Mitchell) USA
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 6, 2012

            If anyone has any files or config examples that they wish to share on various RPi setups feel free to fill up the files, links, photos, sections etc...

            73 Jerry N9LYA
          • siegfried jackstien
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 6, 2012
              I have a nice idea for a net sdr (kind of) ...

              Raspberry pi acts as server for raw iq data (so far so good)

              Rtl dongle makes the sampling ... decoding is done via sdr sharp
              Now the tricky idea:

              GPIO pins on the raspberry are used to switch in different filters and added
              preamp + different antenna inputs

              First of all I plan to build a filter and preamp board ...

              That can be used in the shack (filters selected with rotary knob on front of
              a shielded metal case)

              So it can be used without raspberry only with a rtl stick (or a funcube
              dongle) to help rejecting out of band signals

              That board is connected to the front knob with a header that can be
              disconnected and put on a small driver board (safety for the raspi!!!) and
              from there a ribbon cable to the raspi gpio pins

              So ... I have to build a filter bank (with preamp)

              A second board with coax relays (if you wanna use several antennas)

              2 driver boards for the above banks

              And a shielded case for all that stuff

              ... first will be the filters (and the raspberry) and then start to upgrade
              step by step

              Dg9bfc

              Sigi

              Last upgrade would be that switching is done direct from sdr sharp!
              Depending on frequency

            • Philip
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 7, 2012
                Hi Sigi

                Yes, by all means ask away..
                I'm a novice at this to be honest but we can all pool
                resources and ideas...

                Philip G4JVF

                --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "siegfried jackstien" <siegfried.jackstien@...> wrote:

                > Hi Philip
                >
                > I do not have a raspberry (yet)... but I plan to order one for exactly that
                > (remote sdr on the raspi acting as i/q server) ... may I ask you some
                > questions if I have my raspi and have trouble with the setup ?!?
                >
                > Greetz dg9bfc
                >
                > Sigi

              • siegfried jackstien
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 7, 2012
                  Hi philip

                  I am a complete newbie in linux ...

                  What I plan is to build a board for raspi and rtl dongle (or fcd)

                  That board should contain several switched filters, pream and several
                  antenna socket ... selectable via the gpio pins (or via usb?!? So also in
                  shack usable without raspi???)

                  Now I am collecting parts for a filter board with all bands needed from 50
                  megs to 2 gig (range of rtl and old fcd) ... maybe with rf mixer and also
                  preamp / and damping ... for shortwave

                  The tricky thing is to find the filters for the bands of interest ... or
                  homebrew them (that is a bit more difficult)

                  First setup will be a filter board ... switchable from rotary knob ... later
                  selectable via gpio and/or usb

                  ... as far as I know the "parts" (programming blocks) for switching
                  something over the gpio pins are ready made ... should not be tooo difficult
                  to build my "dream net sdr" :-)

                  Dg9bfc

                  Sigi

                  Ps I will come back to you if I have my raspi and have trouble with the
                  setup .... thanks for offering help