Which CMedia USB Sound card to use ?

  • John
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 8, 2013
      When i look on E-Bay i see plenty of CMedia USB Sound cards listed but for Ham use i always see mentioned the CMedia CM108 or CM119 chipset based devices are the best to use, what is the reason for this and if i had the choice of any one which would i go for ?

      73 John Mi0AAZ.
    • Manos Darkadakis
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 9, 2013
        John CM119 is a good choice,

        73 Manos SV1IW

        --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "John" <mi0aaz@...> wrote:

        > When i look on E-Bay i see plenty of CMedia USB Sound cards listed but for Ham use i always see mentioned the CMedia CM108 or CM119 chipset based devices are the best to use, what is the reason for this and if i had the choice of any one which would i go for ?
        >
        > 73 John Mi0AAZ.

      • Jerry AA6KI
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 9, 2013
          John,

          After buying two of these cheap sound dongles off eBay, I ended up going to Amazon and got one with the CM119 chipset. It works like a champ with my RPi.

          The eBay cheapies were of very poor construction. One of them even had the left and right channels reversed. The Amazon model cost a couple of dollars more, but since I have Amazon Prime, shipping was free and it arrived in two days.

          Of course, YMMV.

          Jerry AA6KI
          Tucson

          --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "John" <mi0aaz@...> wrote:

          > When i look on E-Bay i see plenty of CMedia USB Sound cards listed but for Ham use i always see mentioned the CMedia CM108 or CM119 chipset based devices are the best to use, what is the reason for this and if i had the choice of any one which would i go for ?
          >
          > 73 John Mi0AAZ.

        • mi0aaz
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 30, 2013

            Thanks guys for the replies, have ordered a pair via Amazon which as far as i know are on the way.

            I know some modifications have to be some to the USB sound card but everything else for my EchoIRLP node is ready to go live.

            73 John Mi0AAZ.