Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Re: Where to start

  • Matthew Pitts
    Message 1 of 27 , Jul 18, 2013

      On a semi related note, has anyone tried Bluetooth audio on the Raspberry Pi? Specifically Bluetooth headsets and USB Dongles. I am wanting to use one as audio input and output for one of mine but haven't taken the time to research compatibility on this.

      Matthew Pitts
      N8OHU

      Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

      Message 2 of 27 , Jul 19, 2013
        In addition. dixprs is another fine program with a very small fotoprint and the added functionaliteit to place your own bulletins etc via a very simple method using plain text files. Works out of the box on rpi.
        https://sites.google.com/site/dixprs/
        the method to put your own bulletins is described in the groups discussion page

        https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!searchin/dixprs/spool$20directory$20/dixprs/ayxvTw6B994

        Hope it helps.

        Erik

        --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "marco.kubon" <dl1mx@...> wrote:

        > Hi Kristoff,
        >
        > You can try aprx which you will find on http://wiki.ham.fi/Aprx.en
        >
        > It's running fine on the Raspi.
        >
        > 73 de Marco
        > DL1MX
        >
        > --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Kristoff Bonne <kristoff@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi,
        > >

        > > On 15-07-13 23:55, kb9mwr wrote:
        > > >
        > > > A software approach to DTMF decoding could be done with a the
        > > > multimon-ng software package.
        > > >

        > > Actually, I have been looking for a quick and easy way to generate APRS
        > > message. I use APRS via the internet to "broadcast" some information
        > > about events in out local radio-club (ON4OS).
        > >
        > > However, it would be nice (and more "ham" like) to actually broadcast
        > > this via a radio. As I am pretty close to the local APRS digipeater, I
        > > guess all that is needed is a device that generates a AFSK stream, one
        > > of these cheap chinese HTs and a a little bit of interfacing.
        > >

        > > I know that using a pi for this is probably really "overkill" and that
        > > this can probably also be done using an arduino (a nice exercise in DDS
        > > :-)) but a unix device would be a nice "quick hack" to get something in
        > > the air.
        > >

        > > I know there are programs like xastir, aprsd and othters, but I am
        > > looking for something to just generate a APRS packet and pipe it out to
        > > the audio-port.
        > >

        > > 73
        > > kristoff - ON1ARF

      • Kristoff Bonne
        Message 3 of 27 , Jul 19, 2013
          Hi Ray, Marco, Erik,

          Actually, I have been experimenting with this yesterday-evening (but it was already past midnight, to late to still post a follow up on this message).

          It actually turns out there trick to do this using one of the basic tools of the ax25-tools package: beacon.

          As the name implies, it's a tool to broadcast AX.25 "beacon" messages, but it turns out that these are nothing else then just regular "UI" AX.25 packets; which is exactly the same as used by APRS.

          This is the CLI command to do this:
          beacon -c ON1ARF -d 'APZ001 via WIDE1-1' -l -s aprs ";ON4OS    *182215z5117.04N/00253.53E-UBA-OST vrijdag 20-24u, zondag 10-12u"

          -c = source call, -d = destination call
          -l = only transmit one single "beacon" message
          -s = ax.25 port (as found in /etc/ax25/axports)

          This works together with the soundmodem and kissattach. The hardware is a simple audio-dongle, 2 caps to provide some kind of seperation and a FM trx in VOX mode.

          I'm currently testing this on my pandaboard but I see no reason that it should not run in a pi too.

          73
          kristoff - ON1ARF

          On 18-07-13 22:58, Kristoff Bonne wrote:

          Hi,

          Message 4 of 27 , Jul 19, 2013
            Hi Ray,

            What I had in mind was to generate APRS messages using some tool; but your message did get me thinking. As you mention festival (a text-to-speech tool), why not use a Pi to create a sort of bridge between APRS and normal FM radio?

            Using a radio (or the 20 dollar "RTL" DAB/DVB-T stick) we can monitor the local APRS frequencies and decode it with multimon-ng.

            Then, use certain information as received in APRS to trigger the broadcast of a spoken message in FM (on a local FM frequency or on the local repeater).

            A possible application would be to monitor the information from a local WX-station and send out a "warning: low-temperature alert, possible ice on roads" warning if needed.

            Another idea is something I noticed yesterday when looking at the log-files of all APRS messages I received:
            aprs: fm ON0ABT to DX via WIDE2-2 ctl UIv pid=F0(Text) len 76 00:44:48
            DX de    ON0ABT>430512.5  ON0BT-10     110 dg frm    ON0ABT            81km
            aprs: fm ON0ABT to DX via WIDE2-2 ctl UIv pid=F0(Text) len 76 01:04:48
            DX de    ON0ABT>430512.5  ON0BT-10     110 dg frm    ON0ABT            81km
            aprs: fm ON0ABT to DX via WIDE2-2 ctl UIv pid=F0(Text) len 76 01:24:48
            DX de    ON0ABT>430512.5  ON0BT-10     110 dg frm    ON0ABT            81km
            aprs: fm ON0ABT to DX via WIDE2-2 ctl UIv pid=F0(Text) len 76 01:27:11
            DX de    ON0ABT>430512.5  PI1RWK       033 dg frm    ON0ABT           123km
            aprs: fm ON0ABT to DX via WIDE2-2 ctl UIv pid=F0(Text) len 76 01:47:17
            DX de    ON0ABT>430512.5  PI1RWK       033 dg frm    ON0ABT           123km
            aprs: fm ON0ABT to DX via WIDE2-2 ctl UIv pid=F0(Text) len 76 02:27:15
            DX de    ON0ABT>430512.5  PI1RWK       033 dg frm    ON0ABT           123km
            aprs: fm ON0ABT to DX via WIDE2-2 ctl UIv pid=F0(Text) len 76 02:39:08
            DX de    ON0ABT>430512.5  PE1OEZ-7     026 dg frm    ON0ABT           280km
            aprs: fm ON0ABT to DX via WIDE2-2 ctl UIv pid=F0(Text) len 76 03:09:08
            DX de    ON0ABT>430512.5  PE1OEZ-7     026 dg frm    ON0ABT           280km
            aprs: fm ON0ABT to DX via WIDE2-2 ctl UIv pid=F0(Text) len 76 04:32:27
            DX de    ON0ABT>430512.5  PI1RWK       033 dg frm    ON0ABT           123km
            aprs: fm ON0ABT to DX via WIDE2-2 ctl UIv pid=F0(Text) len 76 04:47:28
            DX de    ON0ABT>430512.5  PI1RWK       033 dg frm    ON0ABT           123km
            aprs: fm ON0ABT to DX via WIDE2-2 ctl UIv pid=F0(Text) len 76 04:59:04
            DX de    ON0ABT>430512.5  PE1OEZ-7     026 dg frm    ON0ABT           280km
            aprs: fm ON0ABT to DX via WIDE2-2 ctl UIv pid=F0(Text) len 76 06:15:01
            DX de    ON0ABT>430512.5  ON0DAS-4     091 dg frm    ON0ABT           123km
            aprs: fm ON0ABT to DX via WIDE2-2 ctl UIv pid=F0(Text) len 76 06:30:01
            DX de    ON0ABT>430512.5  ON0DAS-4     091 dg frm    ON0ABT           123km
            aprs: fm ON0ABT to DX via WIDE2-2 ctl UIv pid=F0(Text) len 76 06:45:05
            DX de    ON0ABT>430512.5  ON0DAS-4     091 dg frm    ON0ABT           123km
            aprs: fm ON0ABT to DX via WIDE2-2 ctl UIv pid=F0(Text) len 76 07:44:28
            DX de    ON0ABT>430512.5  ON0DAS-4     091 dg frm    ON0ABT           123km
            aprs: fm ON0ABT to DX via WIDE2-2 ctl UIv pid=F0(Text) len 76 08:21:13
            DX de    ON0ABT>430512.5  ON4MAX       117 dg frm    ON0ABT           188km
            aprs: fm ON0ABT to DX via WIDE2-2 ctl UIv pid=F0(Text) len 76 09:34:48
            DX de    ON0ABT>430512.5  ON0BT-10     110 dg frm    ON0ABT            81km
            aprs: fm ON0ABT to DX via WIDE2-2 ctl UIv pid=F0(Text) len 76 09:54:48
            DX de    ON0ABT>430512.5  ON0BT-10     110 dg frm    ON0ABT            81km
            aprs: fm ON0ABT to DX via WIDE2-2 ctl UIv pid=F0(Text) len 76 10:14:48
            DX de    ON0ABT>430512.5  ON0BT-10     110 dg frm    ON0ABT            81km

            Hmm. It looks like there where some special propagation conditions on UHF yesterday. It would be nice if we would have got a voice notification when this happened.

            (to bad it was during the nighttime :-( ).

            That looks like a nice application to do and -I guess- it only requires a couple of tools (rtl_fm, multimon-ng, flite, aplay) and a little bit of "glue" code in some scripting language (perl, tcl, python, ...) to wrap it all together.

            73
            kristoff - ON1ARF

            On 19-07-13 01:35, Ray Wells wrote:
            Xastir uses festival (available from the repository) to generate speech. Perhaps that's an answer.

            Whilst I didn't use speech on my Pi I did compile xastir from sources to successfully include festival.

            Ray vk2tv

            On 19/07/13 06:58, Kristoff Bonne wrote:

            Hi,

            On 15-07-13 23:55, kb9mwr wrote:

[...]

          • Ray Wells
            Message 5 of 27 , Jul 19, 2013
              I've moved away from the Pi for my gateway because I wanted to use an old ISA slot Baycom USCC4 to drive the radios. I'm setting up an old 600MHz PIII for that job. However, I did run dixprs on the Pi using a 4 port FTDI USB/RS232 adaptor to drive TNC's. I also upload wx beacons with dixprs. It's a simple process which, like the rest of dixprs, works extremely well.

              If I was to complain about any aspect of dixprs it would be its cpu load of around 25 percent. This might be a consideration for a Pi that's heavily loaded with other applications. Xastir, by way of comparison, sits around 10 percent and it has a gui interface.

              Ray vk2tv

              On 19/07/13 20:26, pa0esh wrote:

              In addition. dixprs is another fine program with a very small fotoprint and the added functionaliteit to place your own bulletins etc via a very simple method using plain text files. Works out of the box on rpi.
              https://sites.google.com/site/dixprs/
              the method to put your own bulletins is described in the groups discussion page

              https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!searchin/dixprs/spool$20directory$20/dixprs/ayxvTw6B994

              Hope it helps.

              Erik

              --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "marco.kubon" <dl1mx@...> wrote:

              > Hi Kristoff,
              >
              > You can try aprx which you will find on http://wiki.ham.fi/Aprx.en
              >
              > It's running fine on the Raspi.
              >
              > 73 de Marco
              > DL1MX
              >
              > --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Kristoff Bonne <kristoff@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi,
              > >

              > > On 15-07-13 23:55, kb9mwr wrote:
              > > >
              > > > A software approach to DTMF decoding could be done with a the
              > > > multimon-ng software package.
              > > >

              > > Actually, I have been looking for a quick and easy way to generate APRS
              > > message. I use APRS via the internet to "broadcast" some information
              > > about events in out local radio-club (ON4OS).
              > >
              > > However, it would be nice (and more "ham" like) to actually broadcast
              > > this via a radio. As I am pretty close to the local APRS digipeater, I
              > > guess all that is needed is a device that generates a AFSK stream, one
              > > of these cheap chinese HTs and a a little bit of interfacing.
              > >

              > > I know that using a pi for this is probably really "overkill" and that
              > > this can probably also be done using an arduino (a nice exercise in DDS
              > > :-)) but a unix device would be a nice "quick hack" to get something in
              > > the air.
              > >

              > > I know there are programs like xastir, aprsd and othters, but I am
              > > looking for something to just generate a APRS packet and pipe it out to
              > > the audio-port.
              > >

              > > 73
              > > kristoff - ON1ARF

            • Ray Wells

                Message 7 of 27 , Jul 19, 2013
                  Kristoff,

                  There's some great command line tools (sed, head, tail, etc) available to extract just the information fields you need from those beacons and pipe the result through festival.

                  Your project has given me an idea. I have a script that's a combination of shell commands and Perl that downloads the html weather page from the local airport as a text file, with lynx. I then use egrep, head, sed and cut to extract the fields I want from the first line (latest data) of wx data. Perl handles the mathematics to convert metric data to the aprs format. The various data is then assembled into an aprs wx beacon format for sending to xastir or dixprs for broadcast. Some of that data would be suitable for broadcasting on a voice channel, along the lines you mention. Mmmm, just what I need, another project <grin>

                  Ray vk2tv