usb to serial adaptors or tnc-pi which is easier to install for the pi

  • vk4tub
    Message 1 of 36 , Jul 16, 2013
      greetings all
      having spent the best part of last weekend trying to get a couple of usb to serial adaptors to work with fbb on the pi i have given up.

      Can anyone tell me exactly what folders i have to edit in order for fbb to be able to see the adaptors, their address is ttyusb0.
      i want to use one for each pi

      With winfbb all of the files and folders are in one director and it is a hell of a lot easier to get working than the Linux version now i am able to compare the two.

      However it would appear that the Linux installation is quite messy and scatters files and folders right through the disk making a very difficult job even more difficult for a beginner like myself.

      So my question is what folders and files do i replace the ttyAMA0 serial port with ttyusb0 so that i might get fbb to see a tnc.

      There is a lot of info on the web about this but it is not pertaining to fbb and to be honest it might as well be in another language as i understand none of it.

      So if anyone has any experience with these and fbb i am happy to paint by numbers as i really dont know what i am doing.

      I also have 2 tnc-pis built and had the in tension to use those but have dropped that idea as it is far too difficult to even begin to attempt that at this time.

      However if installing the tnc-pis is in the opinion of the list easier than the usb adapters i might try this but once again it will be a "paint by numbers" exercise.

      thanks in advance kerry vk4tub
    • Mathison Ott
      Message 36 of 36 , Aug 11, 2013

        I would say a rpi has faster cpu clock... I've experanced the the raw throuput of a nanostation m2 and the versitility the radio provides. The rpi is a versutile device. We Ham put the pi to good use.

        The rpi's usb power throughput is only around 700mah.  Supplimental 5VOLT power is needed (USB hub). In the the last raspberry pi I used an ajustible  voltege regulator adjust the voltege to a ~ 5.2v the CPU is sensitive. Dose Any one make a PCB add on thats populated with USB voltege injection? Or sugest a good one.  I'm trying to use 1 5v source 3amps to supply all the power.   ( I can draw a picture if needed)

        My goal is to attatch a wimax Puck usb0 and use the local lan. Failover and conection bonding is posible in the ipconfig, file.

        73 mathison kj6dzb

        On Aug 10, 2013 1:53 PM, "John Wiseman" <john.wiseman@...> wrote:

        Eric,

        I did answer the second question.

        You use a wifi dongle with removable antenna, so you can replace it with the antenna of your choice.

        John