RE: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Re: New Pi user with questions

    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 31, 2012
      Brian,

      I've found these wifi dongles work fine with the current PI distribution,

      Matthew,

      I sometimes connect an analog TV or hdmi monitor, but usually use SSH to access the PI. I use putty as the SSH client, and Xming as an X server to run GUI applications from my Windows box. You can set putty up to redirect the X session back to the PC automatically.

      Regards,
      John G8BPQ

      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 31, 2012
        I use both SSH and VNC to access my Raspberry PI.  Works great.  I don't use the GUI much so I mostly SSH in.

        '73

        Eric
        KC7KLZ

        On 2012-10-30, at 11:26 PM, "Brian" <g8osn@...> wrote:

        --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Pitts <daywalker_blade_2004@...> wrote:

        > I finally received one of these charming little computers and was wondering what people are using for video displays; I did briefly hook it up to my analog TV to try it out, but don't want to have to do that every time I want to change something. I know it's possible to use SSH to get in, but I don't want to leave it where someone might knock it off of the desk; I do have it in a case, but I'm still concerned about leaving it sitting on the desk.

        Hi Matthew,

        I use a wireless keyboard and mouse which have a micro tx/rx and a cheap TV. I'm looking for a suitable USB micro wifi beast and then my PI will tuck away behind the TV.

        You could also try using VNC, I've seen reports of others using that to interface to a PI remotely.

        73
        Brian
        G8OSN/W8OSN
        www.g8osn.net

      • iamdadof3
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 31, 2012
          I'm using X11VNC on the Pi, and Utlra VNC on the windows box. I also use Mocha VNC on the iPhone and Asus Transforemer tablet. Of course ssh is there for when I need to work via terminal.
          Regards
          Steve