Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Re: Where to start

  • Kristoff Bonne
    Message 1 of 27 , Jul 15, 2013
      Hi Stephen,

      This launchpad surely looks interesting.
      Based on what I found, there seams to be a couple of different versions of it: the launchpad, C2000, stellaris, Tiva C. I haven't yet found out what is the exact difference between them.
      It is nice to see that the MCUs are in DIP-format which is good for designing your own project.

      One thing, I'm just wondering how big the community around the MSP430 is. Normally, I use hackaday (http://hackaday.com/) as a reference to get an idea on how many people are using a certain technology and I think I find 3 to 4 times as much AVR or PIC based projects then MSP-based designs.

      73
      kristoff - ON1ARF

      On 12-07-13 15:34, Stephen wrote:

      Hi Guys,

      If you really want to save money you can buy a Texas Instruments MSP430 launchpad board which, when I bought a few, were $4.30 each delivered anywhere in the world. You can program them in a variant of the Arduino programming language called Energia and for the $4.30 you get a development board, USB cable, 2 x processor chips and a watch crystal for use as an external oscillator. Here in the UK the more powerful of the two processor chips cost about $1 each in quantities of 10.

      The good thing about the Ti board is that you can also use it to program a chip when it is on the target system. With many of the later Arduino boards you cannot do this as the processor is soldered on to the board. I have a lot of time for the Arduino and, back in the day, it was the only show in town. But now, for a beginner, there is a lot more choice at a lower price.

      73s Steve G0XAR
      --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Am Fm <am_fm_radio@...> wrote:

      > Joe  et al,
      > The Arduino is a whole series of models. There is a micro to mega version. All are related and very close to identical operation. some offer more or less I/O or serial ports.  Actually the ARDUINO chip and maybe 5 components is all that is necessary to make a functoning controller. Then there are a ton of shields.Shields are small add on boards that do certain things. There is a network shield, display shield and a relay shields. Probably about a 100 including sensors, like for temperature or gyro. If you go to www.arduino.org, your curiosity will be satisfied.
      > In all cases,
      > Arduino controller is programmed by running an application/editor on another computer then downloading that information to the arduino, through a USB-serial cable. The program you run on the host computer compliles your program and allows it to run in assembly language on the Arduino. All of this is open source and free for the download.
      > I have an Arduino UNO which is a favorite first purchase of hams. The chip is socketed so it can be removed and then inserted into your project once developed. Replacement chips are $5 in single lot quanities.
      >
      > I picked up a Arduino for Free with Amazon.com points at Amazon.com (all hams are cheap!!!) I got a kit with the UNO, a breadboard, a wall wart, a bundle of jumpers for breadboarding and a usb cable. It sells for under $50 including shipping.
      >
      > I am sure there is an Arduino Yahoo group probably one for hams.
      > Regards,
      > Larry W8LM
      >

      > ________________________________

    • kb9mwr
      Message 2 of 27 , Jul 15, 2013
        A software approach to DTMF decoding could be done with a the multimon-ng software package.

        --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "michaeltrogersham" <michaeltrogers@...> wrote:

        > I have been following the daily emails from this group and am extremely impressed with the vast amounts of knowledge that exchange hands. I am new to electronics, programming, RPI, etc, but I have an idea that would be very beneficial to my family and maybe to others, but I don't know exactly where to start.
        >
        > We live in the desert of Arizona. I frequently venture out exploring areas that are out of cell phone range, but fortunately the HAM repeater systems in this state are great and I can remain in contact with my wife over the radio. There are times where she can't hear the radio when I'm calling. The idea I had was to use DTMF tones from the radio input into the RPI. When the correct sequence of tones is detected, then an alarm or flashing lights will go off inside alerting her to my call. Maybe even sent a text message to her phone.
        >
        > Has anyone used the RPI as a type of remote control using DTMF tones? I found a website http://pastebin.com/A4bSQwi4 where someone used DTMF tones and a MT8870DE DTMF decoder and Arduino.
        >
        > I guess I need to get a breadboard and start the learning process. Any suggestions on how to get started would be terrific! Thanks!
        >
        > Michael
        > KF7CUQ

      • Stephen Farthing
        Message 3 of 27 , Jul 16, 2013
          Hi -

          There is quite a big MSP430 Launchpad community and a lot of on line information. The other two Launchpads (- and Piccolo) are based on ARM processors. I have agreed to do a small set of project based tutorials for the QRP_Computing list using Energia (which is essentially the Arduino programming language) for the 430. However you can do no better than start by looking here :-

          for an introduction using C and some links.

          Also, if you are not frightened by C read here :-

          There are various C compiler choices, GCC is available, and there a a couple of commercial compilers with IDEs and free "cut down" versions. IAR Embedded workbench is one …-

          The community is a little fragmented but the focus of activity is here

          Where, in the back posts, you will find a few Ham projects such as a DDS controller and a WSPR beacon.

          If you need anything more please contact me off list. I really don't want to clog this list up with non-pi traffic! (And I also want to spend an hour playing with my Beaglebone Black which came last week. Will the Beagle eat the Pi? )

          One last point of interest to Pi users. The MSP430 family were designed for mixed signal processing.
          and the ones with the Launchpad contain 10 bit ADCs which can be communicated with over I2C. I just paid about 12 euros for 12 of the '2553 chips which come with the launchpad. So at little cost you can add some ADCs to your Pi :-)

          Bye for now,

          Steve G0XAR

          Message 4 of 27 , Jul 16, 2013
            The repeater program already has the ability for remote control, there is provisions for I/O control
            using the UR field. Also there is 4 'commands' available that you can use to run system commands,
            programs, or script files. No need for DTMF decoding, just program a few memory channels with the
            appropriate UF,RPT1,RPT2 field settings. One of the digital I/O pins could be used to activate that
            light or a buzzed/sonalert device to draw attention.

            BTW, the DTMF keys pressed are sent as digital representations in the data stream so they can be
            received without using the ambe chip to turn the voice channel back into analog, the repeater uses
            this digital data, it is possible you could mod the program a bit to make it do what you want via DTMF.

            -Jim- N1JMM, KB1YPL_B Colchester Digital Group
            Visit my Pi http://n1jmm.no-ip.org
            Helpful Information on Ham Radio & Linux.

            On 7/15/13 5:55 PM, kb9mwr wrote:
            > A software approach to DTMF decoding could be done with a the multimon-ng software package.
            >

            > --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "michaeltrogersham" <michaeltrogers@...> wrote:
            >> I have been following the daily emails from this group and am extremely impressed with the vast amounts of knowledge that exchange hands. I am new to electronics, programming, RPI, etc, but I have an idea that would be very beneficial to my family and maybe to others, but I don't know exactly where to start.
            >>
            >> We live in the desert of Arizona. I frequently venture out exploring areas that are out of cell phone range, but fortunately the HAM repeater systems in this state are great and I can remain in contact with my wife over the radio. There are times where she can't hear the radio when I'm calling. The idea I had was to use DTMF tones from the radio input into the RPI. When the correct sequence of tones is detected, then an alarm or flashing lights will go off inside alerting her to my call. Maybe even sent a text message to her phone.
            >>
            >> Has anyone used the RPI as a type of remote control using DTMF tones? I found a website http://pastebin.com/A4bSQwi4 where someone used DTMF tones and a MT8870DE DTMF decoder and Arduino.
            >>
            >> I guess I need to get a breadboard and start the learning process. Any suggestions on how to get started would be terrific! Thanks!
            >>
            >> Michael
            >> KF7CUQ

          • Kristoff Bonne
            Message 5 of 27 , Jul 18, 2013
              Hi,

              On 15-07-13 23:55, kb9mwr wrote:

              A software approach to DTMF decoding could be done with a the multimon-ng software package.

              Actually, I have been looking for a quick and easy way to generate APRS message. I use APRS via the internet to "broadcast" some information about events in out local radio-club (ON4OS).

              However, it would be nice (and more "ham" like) to actually broadcast this via a radio. As I am pretty close to the local APRS digipeater, I guess all that is needed is a device that generates a AFSK stream, one of these cheap chinese HTs and a a little bit of interfacing.

              I know that using a pi for this is probably really "overkill" and that this can probably also be done using an arduino (a nice exercise in DDS :-)) but a unix device would be a nice "quick hack" to get something in the air.

              I know there are programs like xastir, aprsd and othters, but I am looking for something to just generate a APRS packet and pipe it out to the audio-port.

              73
              kristoff - ON1ARF

            • Ray Wells
              Message 6 of 27 , Jul 18, 2013
                Xastir uses festival (available from the repository) to generate speech. Perhaps that's an answer.

                Whilst I didn't use speech on my Pi I did compile xastir from sources to successfully include festival.

                Ray vk2tv

                On 19/07/13 06:58, Kristoff Bonne wrote:

                Hi,

                On 15-07-13 23:55, kb9mwr wrote:

[...]

              • marco.kubon
                Message 7 of 27 , Jul 18, 2013
                  Hi Kristoff,

                  You can try aprx which you will find on http://wiki.ham.fi/Aprx.en

                  It's running fine on the Raspi.

                  73 de Marco
                  DL1MX

                  --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Kristoff Bonne <kristoff@...> wrote:

                  > Hi,
                  >

                  > On 15-07-13 23:55, kb9mwr wrote:
                  > >
                  > > A software approach to DTMF decoding could be done with a the
                  > > multimon-ng software package.
                  > >

                  > Actually, I have been looking for a quick and easy way to generate APRS
                  > message. I use APRS via the internet to "broadcast" some information
                  > about events in out local radio-club (ON4OS).
                  >
                  > However, it would be nice (and more "ham" like) to actually broadcast
                  > this via a radio. As I am pretty close to the local APRS digipeater, I
                  > guess all that is needed is a device that generates a AFSK stream, one
                  > of these cheap chinese HTs and a a little bit of interfacing.
                  >

                  > I know that using a pi for this is probably really "overkill" and that
                  > this can probably also be done using an arduino (a nice exercise in DDS
                  > :-)) but a unix device would be a nice "quick hack" to get something in
                  > the air.
                  >

                  > I know there are programs like xastir, aprsd and othters, but I am
                  > looking for something to just generate a APRS packet and pipe it out to
                  > the audio-port.
                  >

                  > 73
                  > kristoff - ON1ARF

                • Matthew Pitts
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jul 18, 2013

                    On a semi related note, has anyone tried Bluetooth audio on the Raspberry Pi? Specifically Bluetooth headsets and USB Dongles. I am wanting to use one as audio input and output for one of mine but haven't taken the time to research compatibility on this.

                    Matthew Pitts
                    N8OHU

                    Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

                    Message 9 of 27 , Jul 19, 2013
                      In addition. dixprs is another fine program with a very small fotoprint and the added functionaliteit to place your own bulletins etc via a very simple method using plain text files. Works out of the box on rpi.
                      https://sites.google.com/site/dixprs/
                      the method to put your own bulletins is described in the groups discussion page

                      https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!searchin/dixprs/spool$20directory$20/dixprs/ayxvTw6B994

                      Hope it helps.

                      Erik

                      --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "marco.kubon" <dl1mx@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Kristoff,
                      >
                      > You can try aprx which you will find on http://wiki.ham.fi/Aprx.en
                      >
                      > It's running fine on the Raspi.
                      >
                      > 73 de Marco
                      > DL1MX
                      >
                      > --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Kristoff Bonne <kristoff@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Hi,
                      > >

                      > > On 15-07-13 23:55, kb9mwr wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > A software approach to DTMF decoding could be done with a the
                      > > > multimon-ng software package.
                      > > >

                      > > Actually, I have been looking for a quick and easy way to generate APRS
                      > > message. I use APRS via the internet to "broadcast" some information
                      > > about events in out local radio-club (ON4OS).
                      > >
                      > > However, it would be nice (and more "ham" like) to actually broadcast
                      > > this via a radio. As I am pretty close to the local APRS digipeater, I
                      > > guess all that is needed is a device that generates a AFSK stream, one
                      > > of these cheap chinese HTs and a a little bit of interfacing.
                      > >

                      > > I know that using a pi for this is probably really "overkill" and that
                      > > this can probably also be done using an arduino (a nice exercise in DDS
                      > > :-)) but a unix device would be a nice "quick hack" to get something in
                      > > the air.
                      > >

                      > > I know there are programs like xastir, aprsd and othters, but I am
                      > > looking for something to just generate a APRS packet and pipe it out to
                      > > the audio-port.
                      > >

                      > > 73
                      > > kristoff - ON1ARF

                    • Kristoff Bonne
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jul 19, 2013
                        Hi Ray, Marco, Erik,

                        Actually, I have been experimenting with this yesterday-evening (but it was already past midnight, to late to still post a follow up on this message).

                        It actually turns out there trick to do this using one of the basic tools of the ax25-tools package: beacon.

                        As the name implies, it's a tool to broadcast AX.25 "beacon" messages, but it turns out that these are nothing else then just regular "UI" AX.25 packets; which is exactly the same as used by APRS.

                        This is the CLI command to do this:
                        beacon -c ON1ARF -d 'APZ001 via WIDE1-1' -l -s aprs ";ON4OS    *182215z5117.04N/00253.53E-UBA-OST vrijdag 20-24u, zondag 10-12u"

                        -c = source call, -d = destination call
                        -l = only transmit one single "beacon" message
                        -s = ax.25 port (as found in /etc/ax25/axports)

                        This works together with the soundmodem and kissattach. The hardware is a simple audio-dongle, 2 caps to provide some kind of seperation and a FM trx in VOX mode.

                        I'm currently testing this on my pandaboard but I see no reason that it should not run in a pi too.

                        73
                        kristoff - ON1ARF

                        On 18-07-13 22:58, Kristoff Bonne wrote:

                        Hi,

                        Message 11 of 27 , Jul 19, 2013
                          Hi Ray,

                          What I had in mind was to generate APRS messages using some tool; but your message did get me thinking. As you mention festival (a text-to-speech tool), why not use a Pi to create a sort of bridge between APRS and normal FM radio?

                          Using a radio (or the 20 dollar "RTL" DAB/DVB-T stick) we can monitor the local APRS frequencies and decode it with multimon-ng.

                          Then, use certain information as received in APRS to trigger the broadcast of a spoken message in FM (on a local FM frequency or on the local repeater).

                          A possible application would be to monitor the information from a local WX-station and send out a "warning: low-temperature alert, possible ice on roads" warning if needed.

                          Another idea is something I noticed yesterday when looking at the log-files of all APRS messages I received:
                          aprs: fm ON0ABT to DX via WIDE2-2 ctl UIv pid=F0(Text) len 76 00:44:48
                          DX de    ON0ABT>430512.5  ON0BT-10     110 dg frm    ON0ABT            81km
                          aprs: fm ON0ABT to DX via WIDE2-2 ctl UIv pid=F0(Text) len 76 01:04:48
                          DX de    ON0ABT>430512.5  ON0BT-10     110 dg frm    ON0ABT            81km
                          aprs: fm ON0ABT to DX via WIDE2-2 ctl UIv pid=F0(Text) len 76 01:24:48
                          DX de    ON0ABT>430512.5  ON0BT-10     110 dg frm    ON0ABT            81km
                          aprs: fm ON0ABT to DX via WIDE2-2 ctl UIv pid=F0(Text) len 76 01:27:11
                          DX de    ON0ABT>430512.5  PI1RWK       033 dg frm    ON0ABT           123km
                          aprs: fm ON0ABT to DX via WIDE2-2 ctl UIv pid=F0(Text) len 76 01:47:17
                          DX de    ON0ABT>430512.5  PI1RWK       033 dg frm    ON0ABT           123km
                          aprs: fm ON0ABT to DX via WIDE2-2 ctl UIv pid=F0(Text) len 76 02:27:15
                          DX de    ON0ABT>430512.5  PI1RWK       033 dg frm    ON0ABT           123km
                          aprs: fm ON0ABT to DX via WIDE2-2 ctl UIv pid=F0(Text) len 76 02:39:08
                          DX de    ON0ABT>430512.5  PE1OEZ-7     026 dg frm    ON0ABT           280km
                          aprs: fm ON0ABT to DX via WIDE2-2 ctl UIv pid=F0(Text) len 76 03:09:08
                          DX de    ON0ABT>430512.5  PE1OEZ-7     026 dg frm    ON0ABT           280km
                          aprs: fm ON0ABT to DX via WIDE2-2 ctl UIv pid=F0(Text) len 76 04:32:27
                          DX de    ON0ABT>430512.5  PI1RWK       033 dg frm    ON0ABT           123km
                          aprs: fm ON0ABT to DX via WIDE2-2 ctl UIv pid=F0(Text) len 76 04:47:28
                          DX de    ON0ABT>430512.5  PI1RWK       033 dg frm    ON0ABT           123km
                          aprs: fm ON0ABT to DX via WIDE2-2 ctl UIv pid=F0(Text) len 76 04:59:04
                          DX de    ON0ABT>430512.5  PE1OEZ-7     026 dg frm    ON0ABT           280km
                          aprs: fm ON0ABT to DX via WIDE2-2 ctl UIv pid=F0(Text) len 76 06:15:01
                          DX de    ON0ABT>430512.5  ON0DAS-4     091 dg frm    ON0ABT           123km
                          aprs: fm ON0ABT to DX via WIDE2-2 ctl UIv pid=F0(Text) len 76 06:30:01
                          DX de    ON0ABT>430512.5  ON0DAS-4     091 dg frm    ON0ABT           123km
                          aprs: fm ON0ABT to DX via WIDE2-2 ctl UIv pid=F0(Text) len 76 06:45:05
                          DX de    ON0ABT>430512.5  ON0DAS-4     091 dg frm    ON0ABT           123km
                          aprs: fm ON0ABT to DX via WIDE2-2 ctl UIv pid=F0(Text) len 76 07:44:28
                          DX de    ON0ABT>430512.5  ON0DAS-4     091 dg frm    ON0ABT           123km
                          aprs: fm ON0ABT to DX via WIDE2-2 ctl UIv pid=F0(Text) len 76 08:21:13
                          DX de    ON0ABT>430512.5  ON4MAX       117 dg frm    ON0ABT           188km
                          aprs: fm ON0ABT to DX via WIDE2-2 ctl UIv pid=F0(Text) len 76 09:34:48
                          DX de    ON0ABT>430512.5  ON0BT-10     110 dg frm    ON0ABT            81km
                          aprs: fm ON0ABT to DX via WIDE2-2 ctl UIv pid=F0(Text) len 76 09:54:48
                          DX de    ON0ABT>430512.5  ON0BT-10     110 dg frm    ON0ABT            81km
                          aprs: fm ON0ABT to DX via WIDE2-2 ctl UIv pid=F0(Text) len 76 10:14:48
                          DX de    ON0ABT>430512.5  ON0BT-10     110 dg frm    ON0ABT            81km

                          Hmm. It looks like there where some special propagation conditions on UHF yesterday. It would be nice if we would have got a voice notification when this happened.

                          (to bad it was during the nighttime :-( ).

                          That looks like a nice application to do and -I guess- it only requires a couple of tools (rtl_fm, multimon-ng, flite, aplay) and a little bit of "glue" code in some scripting language (perl, tcl, python, ...) to wrap it all together.

                          73
                          kristoff - ON1ARF

                          Message 12 of 27 , Jul 19, 2013
                            I've moved away from the Pi for my gateway because I wanted to use an old ISA slot Baycom USCC4 to drive the radios. I'm setting up an old 600MHz PIII for that job. However, I did run dixprs on the Pi using a 4 port FTDI USB/RS232 adaptor to drive TNC's. I also upload wx beacons with dixprs. It's a simple process which, like the rest of dixprs, works extremely well.

                            If I was to complain about any aspect of dixprs it would be its cpu load of around 25 percent. This might be a consideration for a Pi that's heavily loaded with other applications. Xastir, by way of comparison, sits around 10 percent and it has a gui interface.

                            Ray vk2tv

                            On 19/07/13 20:26, pa0esh wrote:

                            In addition. dixprs is another fine program with a very small fotoprint and the added functionaliteit to place your own bulletins etc via a very simple method using plain text files. Works out of the box on rpi.
                            https://sites.google.com/site/dixprs/
                            the method to put your own bulletins is described in the groups discussion page

                            https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!searchin/dixprs/spool$20directory$20/dixprs/ayxvTw6B994

                            Hope it helps.

                            Erik

                            --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "marco.kubon" <dl1mx@...> wrote:

                            > Hi Kristoff,
                            >
                            > You can try aprx which you will find on http://wiki.ham.fi/Aprx.en
                            >
                            > It's running fine on the Raspi.
                            >
                            > 73 de Marco
                            > DL1MX
                            >
                            > --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Kristoff Bonne <kristoff@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Hi,
                            > >

                            > > On 15-07-13 23:55, kb9mwr wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > A software approach to DTMF decoding could be done with a the
                            > > > multimon-ng software package.
                            > > >

                            > > Actually, I have been looking for a quick and easy way to generate APRS
                            > > message. I use APRS via the internet to "broadcast" some information
                            > > about events in out local radio-club (ON4OS).
                            > >
                            > > However, it would be nice (and more "ham" like) to actually broadcast
                            > > this via a radio. As I am pretty close to the local APRS digipeater, I
                            > > guess all that is needed is a device that generates a AFSK stream, one
                            > > of these cheap chinese HTs and a a little bit of interfacing.
                            > >

                            > > I know that using a pi for this is probably really "overkill" and that
                            > > this can probably also be done using an arduino (a nice exercise in DDS
                            > > :-)) but a unix device would be a nice "quick hack" to get something in
                            > > the air.
                            > >

                            > > I know there are programs like xastir, aprsd and othters, but I am
                            > > looking for something to just generate a APRS packet and pipe it out to
                            > > the audio-port.
                            > >

                            > > 73
                            > > kristoff - ON1ARF

                          • Ray Wells

                              Message 14 of 27 , Jul 19, 2013
                                Kristoff,

                                There's some great command line tools (sed, head, tail, etc) available to extract just the information fields you need from those beacons and pipe the result through festival.

                                Your project has given me an idea. I have a script that's a combination of shell commands and Perl that downloads the html weather page from the local airport as a text file, with lynx. I then use egrep, head, sed and cut to extract the fields I want from the first line (latest data) of wx data. Perl handles the mathematics to convert metric data to the aprs format. The various data is then assembled into an aprs wx beacon format for sending to xastir or dixprs for broadcast. Some of that data would be suitable for broadcasting on a voice channel, along the lines you mention. Mmmm, just what I need, another project <grin>

                                Ray vk2tv