Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] New Pi user with questions

  • Matthew Pitts
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 28, 2012

      Don,

      I'm using an SD card I bought on eBay at the moment, but I'm tempted to buy some other SD cards and write his image to one so I have it.

      Matthew Pitts
      N8OHU

      Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 30, 2012
        --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Pitts <daywalker_blade_2004@...> wrote:

        > I finally received one of these charming little computers and was wondering what people are using for video displays; I did briefly hook it up to my analog TV to try it out, but don't want to have to do that every time I want to change something. I know it's possible to use SSH to get in, but I don't want to leave it where someone might knock it off of the desk; I do have it in a case, but I'm still concerned about leaving it sitting on the desk.

        Hi Matthew,

        I use a wireless keyboard and mouse which have a micro tx/rx and a cheap TV. I'm looking for a suitable USB micro wifi beast and then my PI will tuck away behind the TV.

        You could also try using VNC, I've seen reports of others using that to interface to a PI remotely.

        73
        Brian
        G8OSN/W8OSN
        www.g8osn.net
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 31, 2012
          Brian,

          I've found these wifi dongles work fine with the current PI distribution,

          Matthew,

          I sometimes connect an analog TV or hdmi monitor, but usually use SSH to access the PI. I use putty as the SSH client, and Xming as an X server to run GUI applications from my Windows box. You can set putty up to redirect the X session back to the PC automatically.

          Regards,
          John G8BPQ

          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 31, 2012
            I use both SSH and VNC to access my Raspberry PI.  Works great.  I don't use the GUI much so I mostly SSH in.

            '73

            Eric
            KC7KLZ

            On 2012-10-30, at 11:26 PM, "Brian" <g8osn@...> wrote:

            --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Pitts <daywalker_blade_2004@...> wrote:

            > I finally received one of these charming little computers and was wondering what people are using for video displays; I did briefly hook it up to my analog TV to try it out, but don't want to have to do that every time I want to change something. I know it's possible to use SSH to get in, but I don't want to leave it where someone might knock it off of the desk; I do have it in a case, but I'm still concerned about leaving it sitting on the desk.

            Hi Matthew,

            I use a wireless keyboard and mouse which have a micro tx/rx and a cheap TV. I'm looking for a suitable USB micro wifi beast and then my PI will tuck away behind the TV.

            You could also try using VNC, I've seen reports of others using that to interface to a PI remotely.

            73
            Brian
            G8OSN/W8OSN
            www.g8osn.net

          • iamdadof3
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 31, 2012
              I'm using X11VNC on the Pi, and Utlra VNC on the windows box. I also use Mocha VNC on the iPhone and Asus Transforemer tablet. Of course ssh is there for when I need to work via terminal.
              Regards
              Steve