Where to start

  • michaeltrogersham
    Message 1 of 27 , Jul 11 6:05 PM
      I have been following the daily emails from this group and am extremely impressed with the vast amounts of knowledge that exchange hands. I am new to electronics, programming, RPI, etc, but I have an idea that would be very beneficial to my family and maybe to others, but I don't know exactly where to start.

      We live in the desert of Arizona. I frequently venture out exploring areas that are out of cell phone range, but fortunately the HAM repeater systems in this state are great and I can remain in contact with my wife over the radio. There are times where she can't hear the radio when I'm calling. The idea I had was to use DTMF tones from the radio input into the RPI. When the correct sequence of tones is detected, then an alarm or flashing lights will go off inside alerting her to my call. Maybe even sent a text message to her phone.

      Has anyone used the RPI as a type of remote control using DTMF tones? I found a website http://pastebin.com/A4bSQwi4 where someone used DTMF tones and a MT8870DE DTMF decoder and Arduino.

      I guess I need to get a breadboard and start the learning process. Any suggestions on how to get started would be terrific! Thanks!

      Michael
      KF7CUQ
    • W8LM
      Message 2 of 27 , Jul 11 7:24 PM
        Actually the arduino would lend itself to your quest much easier and less expensively than that of a RPI..
        The arduino once programmed, and powered on runs it's program forever.
        Let's look at the reasons for Arduino-
        Do you need internet-networking? NO
        Do you need 2 usb's for keyboard, mouse? NO
        Do you need video or a monitor? NO
        Do we need an operating system? NO

        The Arduino has analog inputs as well as digital I/O... It can send CW so it can reply to your signal with it's callsign. Arduino programming is done in C and downloaded into the Arduino without extra cost of SD cards. It is possible for the arduino to "decode" tones on it's own. By using one of the popular inexpensive $43 HT's like the Baofeng UV5R's you could put the whole thing together for under $100- antenna to wall outlet complete.

        The new ARRL book "Ham Radio for ARDUINO and PICAXE" in chapter 13 uses Arduino and a fully described DTMF decoder chip to control a SSTV camera. The programming is fully documented and easy to follow or modify.

        Regards-

        Larry W8LM

        --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "michaeltrogersham" <michaeltrogers@...> wrote:

        > I have been following the daily emails from this group and am extremely impressed with the vast amounts of knowledge that exchange hands. I am new to electronics, programming, RPI, etc, but I have an idea that would be very beneficial to my family and maybe to others, but I don't know exactly where to start.
        >
        > We live in the desert of Arizona. I frequently venture out exploring areas that are out of cell phone range, but fortunately the HAM repeater systems in this state are great and I can remain in contact with my wife over the radio. There are times where she can't hear the radio when I'm calling. The idea I had was to use DTMF tones from the radio input into the RPI. When the correct sequence of tones is detected, then an alarm or flashing lights will go off inside alerting her to my call. Maybe even sent a text message to her phone.
        >
        > Has anyone used the RPI as a type of remote control using DTMF tones? I found a website http://pastebin.com/A4bSQwi4 where someone used DTMF tones and a MT8870DE DTMF decoder and Arduino.
        >
        > I guess I need to get a breadboard and start the learning process. Any suggestions on how to get started would be terrific! Thanks!
        >
        > Michael
        > KF7CUQ

      • Joe Bleaux
        Message 3 of 27 , Jul 11 8:08 PM
          Larry,  Which version of Arduino or is there only one?
          Does it contain its own C compiler?

          Thanks.

          Joe

          On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 7:24 PM, W8LM <am_fm_radio@...> wrote:

          Actually the arduino would lend itself to your quest much easier and less expensively than that of a RPI..
          The arduino once programmed, and powered on runs it's program forever.
          Let's look at the reasons for Arduino-
          Do you need internet-networking? NO
          Do you need 2 usb's for keyboard, mouse? NO
          Do you need video or a monitor? NO
          Do we need an operating system? NO

          The Arduino has analog inputs as well as digital I/O... It can send CW so it can reply to your signal with it's callsign. Arduino programming is done in C and downloaded into the Arduino without extra cost of SD cards. It is possible for the arduino to "decode" tones on it's own. By using one of the popular inexpensive $43 HT's like the Baofeng UV5R's you could put the whole thing together for under $100- antenna to wall outlet complete.

          The new ARRL book "Ham Radio for ARDUINO and PICAXE" in chapter 13 uses Arduino and a fully described DTMF decoder chip to control a SSTV camera. The programming is fully documented and easy to follow or modify.

          Regards-

          Larry W8LM

          --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "michaeltrogersham" <michaeltrogers@...> wrote:

          > I have been following the daily emails from this group and am extremely impressed with the vast amounts of knowledge that exchange hands. I am new to electronics, programming, RPI, etc, but I have an idea that would be very beneficial to my family and maybe to others, but I don't know exactly where to start.
          >
          > We live in the desert of Arizona. I frequently venture out exploring areas that are out of cell phone range, but fortunately the HAM repeater systems in this state are great and I can remain in contact with my wife over the radio. There are times where she can't hear the radio when I'm calling. The idea I had was to use DTMF tones from the radio input into the RPI. When the correct sequence of tones is detected, then an alarm or flashing lights will go off inside alerting her to my call. Maybe even sent a text message to her phone.
          >
          > Has anyone used the RPI as a type of remote control using DTMF tones? I found a website http://pastebin.com/A4bSQwi4 where someone used DTMF tones and a MT8870DE DTMF decoder and Arduino.
          >
          > I guess I need to get a breadboard and start the learning process. Any suggestions on how to get started would be terrific! Thanks!
          >
          > Michael
          > KF7CUQ

        • John B. Cundiff Jr.

            Message 5 of 27 , Jul 11 11:22 PM
              checkout the documentation for the repeater programs, they already offer control support functions
              via commands inthe UR& RPT1 & RPT2 fields, so it is easy to run commands/script files...

              -Jim- N1JMM, KB1YPL_B Colchester Digital Group
              Visit my Pi http://n1jmm.no-ip.org
              Helpful Information on Ham Radio & Linux.

              On 7/12/13 2:16 AM, John B. Cundiff Jr. wrote:

              > We used DTMF receiver boards to raise and lower several large over heard doors so fork
              > lift drivers cud remain seated during their entire performance .
              > On 07/11/13, michaeltrogersham<michaeltrogers@...> wrote:
              >
              > I have been following the daily emails from this group and am extremely impressed with the vast
              > amounts of knowledge that exchange hands. I am new to electronics, programming, RPI, etc, but I
              > have an idea that would be very beneficial to my family and maybe to others, but I don't know
              > exactly where to start.
              >
              > We live in the desert of Arizona. I frequently venture out exploring areas that are out of cell
              > phone range, but fortunately the HAM repeater systems in this state are great and I can remain in
              > contact with my wife over the radio. There are times where she can't hear the radio when I'm
              > calling. The idea I had was to use DTMF tones from the radio input into the RPI. When the correct
              > sequence of tones is detected, then an alarm or flashing lights will go off inside alerting her to
              > my call. Maybe even sent a text message to her phone.
              >
              > Has anyone used the RPI as a type of remote control using DTMF tones? I found a website
              > http://pastebin.com/A4bSQwi4 where someone used DTMF tones and a MT8870DE DTMF decoder and Arduino.
              >
              > I guess I need to get a breadboard and start the learning process. Any suggestions on how to get
              > started would be terrific! Thanks!
              >
              > Michael
              > KF7CUQ

            • jwlangner
              Message 6 of 27 , Jul 12 4:09 AM
                You don't need to add any specialized hardware to decode DTMF signals.
                It's not that difficult to perform this function in software.
                The "Dire Wolf" soundcard TNC, which runs on the RPi, includes a DTMF decoder.
                Download the source code and look in the file dtmf.c.

                73, John WB2OSZ

                --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "michaeltrogersham" <michaeltrogers@...> wrote:

                > Has anyone used the RPI as a type of remote control using DTMF tones?
                >
                > I guess I need to get a breadboard and start the learning process. Any suggestions on how to get started would be terrific! Thanks!
                >
                > Michael
                > KF7CUQ

              • Am Fm
                Message 7 of 27 , Jul 12 6:21 AM
                  Joe  et al,
                  The Arduino is a whole series of models. There is a micro to mega version. All are related and very close to identical operation. some offer more or less I/O or serial ports.  Actually the ARDUINO chip and maybe 5 components is all that is necessary to make a functoning controller. Then there are a ton of shields.Shields are small add on boards that do certain things. There is a network shield, display shield and a relay shields. Probably about a 100 including sensors, like for temperature or gyro. If you go to www.arduino.org, your curiosity will be satisfied.
                  In all cases,
                  Arduino controller is programmed by running an application/editor on another computer then downloading that information to the arduino, through a USB-serial cable. The program you run on the host computer compliles your program and allows it to run in assembly language on the Arduino. All of this is open source and free for the download.
                  I have an Arduino UNO which is a favorite first purchase of hams. The chip is socketed so it can be removed and then inserted into your project once developed. Replacement chips are $5 in single lot quanities.

                  I picked up a Arduino for Free with Amazon.com points at Amazon.com (all hams are cheap!!!) I got a kit with the UNO, a breadboard, a wall wart, a bundle of jumpers for breadboarding and a usb cable. It sells for under $50 including shipping.

                  I am sure there is an Arduino Yahoo group probably one for hams.
                  Regards,
                  Larry W8LM

                  Larry,  Which version of Arduino or is there only one?
                  Does it contain its own C compiler?

                  Thanks.

                  Joe

                  On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 7:24 PM, W8LM <am_fm_radio@...> wrote:

                  Actually the arduino would lend itself to your quest much easier and less expensively than that of a RPI..
                  The arduino once programmed, and powered on runs it's program forever.
                  Let's look at the reasons for Arduino-
                  Do you need internet-networking? NO
                  Do you need 2 usb's for keyboard, mouse? NO
                  Do you need video or a monitor? NO
                  Do we need an operating system? NO

                  The Arduino has analog inputs as well as digital I/O... It can send CW so it can reply to your signal with it's callsign. Arduino programming is done in C and downloaded into the Arduino without extra cost of SD cards. It is possible for the arduino to "decode" tones on it's own. By using one of the popular inexpensive $43 HT's like the Baofeng UV5R's you could put the whole thing together for under $100- antenna to wall outlet complete.

                  The new ARRL book "Ham Radio for ARDUINO and PICAXE" in chapter 13 uses Arduino and a fully described DTMF decoder chip to control a SSTV camera. The programming is fully documented and easy to follow or modify.

                  Regards-

                  Larry W8LM

                  --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "michaeltrogersham" <michaeltrogers@...> wrote:

                  > I have been following the daily emails from this group and am extremely impressed with the vast amounts of knowledge that exchange hands. I am new to electronics, programming, RPI, etc, but I have an idea that would be very beneficial to my family and maybe to others, but I don't know exactly where to start.
                  >
                  > We live in the desert of Arizona. I frequently venture out exploring areas that are out of cell phone range, but fortunately the HAM repeater systems in this state are great and I can remain in contact with my wife over the radio. There are times where she can't hear the radio when I'm calling. The idea I had was to use DTMF tones from the radio input into the RPI. When the correct sequence of tones is detected, then an alarm or flashing lights will go off inside alerting her to my call. Maybe even sent a text message to her phone.
                  >
                  > Has anyone used the RPI as a type of remote control using DTMF tones? I found a website http://pastebin.com/A4bSQwi4 where someone used DTMF tones and a MT8870DE DTMF decoder and Arduino.
                  >
                  > I guess I need to get a breadboard and start the learning process. Any suggestions on how to get started would be terrific! Thanks!
                  >
                  > Michael
                  > KF7CUQ

                • Stephen
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jul 12 6:34 AM
                    Hi Guys,

                    If you really want to save money you can buy a Texas Instruments MSP430 launchpad board which, when I bought a few, were $4.30 each delivered anywhere in the world. You can program them in a variant of the Arduino programming language called Energia and for the $4.30 you get a development board, USB cable, 2 x processor chips and a watch crystal for use as an external oscillator. Here in the UK the more powerful of the two processor chips cost about $1 each in quantities of 10.

                    The good thing about the Ti board is that you can also use it to program a chip when it is on the target system. With many of the later Arduino boards you cannot do this as the processor is soldered on to the board. I have a lot of time for the Arduino and, back in the day, it was the only show in town. But now, for a beginner, there is a lot more choice at a lower price.

                    73s Steve G0XAR
                    --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Am Fm <am_fm_radio@...> wrote:

                    > Joe  et al,
                    > The Arduino is a whole series of models. There is a micro to mega version. All are related and very close to identical operation. some offer more or less I/O or serial ports.  Actually the ARDUINO chip and maybe 5 components is all that is necessary to make a functoning controller. Then there are a ton of shields.Shields are small add on boards that do certain things. There is a network shield, display shield and a relay shields. Probably about a 100 including sensors, like for temperature or gyro. If you go to www.arduino.org, your curiosity will be satisfied.
                    > In all cases,
                    > Arduino controller is programmed by running an application/editor on another computer then downloading that information to the arduino, through a USB-serial cable. The program you run on the host computer compliles your program and allows it to run in assembly language on the Arduino. All of this is open source and free for the download.
                    > I have an Arduino UNO which is a favorite first purchase of hams. The chip is socketed so it can be removed and then inserted into your project once developed. Replacement chips are $5 in single lot quanities.
                    >
                    > I picked up a Arduino for Free with Amazon.com points at Amazon.com (all hams are cheap!!!) I got a kit with the UNO, a breadboard, a wall wart, a bundle of jumpers for breadboarding and a usb cable. It sells for under $50 including shipping.
                    >
                    > I am sure there is an Arduino Yahoo group probably one for hams.
                    > Regards,
                    > Larry W8LM
                    >

                    > ________________________________

                  • Kristoff Bonne
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jul 12 8:49 AM
                      Joe, Michel,

                      I agree with Larry on this one. An arduino is probably much better suited for this then an raspberry pi.

                      The arduino is not only a device / board, but also a development enviroment. It includes an IDE and a language called "wiring" which holds somewhere between C and some of the scripting-languages out there.
                      The IDE is open source and you can just get it from the arduino website (http://www.arduino.cc).

                      It's in java and runs on a number of platforms (windows, mac, linux, ... even on a raspberry pi :-) )

                      You have to understand that the arduino was originally designed for an university of ... ART. The goal was to allow artists design interactive art, pieces of art that can interact with people. So the arduino was intended for non-technical people from the start.
                      You can find a lot of interformation on the web. Just go to youtube, vimeo or any other video website and search for "arduino DTMF".

                      What I propose it to get one of these "arduino starter kits" (usually an arduino, some external components, some LEDs, some wires, a correct USB cable). There are a lot of arduino "getting started" projects on their website and on other places.

                      The arduino board has a number of advantages:
                      - it allows the use of "shields", which are small boards that can be mounted on the arduino for extending it. Most (if not all) designers of these shields provide the software modules and examples to use it with the board; so you can get going pretty fast

                      - arduino itself has a number of different models. The main difference is the size of the board, the number of pins it has, CPU power and energy consumption There even is one that can be knit into clouding.

                      - Also the arduino hardware design is open source. There are quite a number of clones from it. This means that this will not ever be an "end-of-life" product.

                      - As Larry has already indicated. You can use the arduino as board to program AVRs (the CPU of the arduino) which can be used as a seperate device. For really low-end projects, you can even go for a design with an ATtiny CPU (even cheaper and less energy consuming then the AVR in the arduino). The arduino is then your development platform and can also be used as a programmer for the ATtiny. (there is a nice video on that on the "make" website).
                      For projects that require more CPU-power, there are arduino-clones with PIC32 and ARM CPUs, which use the same IDE and can run almost all arduino sketches without modification.

                      - The arduino is a nice "add-on" in a project with a raspberry pi. The arduino can be used as an external CPU which runs on itself and communicates with the processor on the pi via serial port, I2C or SPI when/if it has to.

                      Actually, the "gertboard" -one of the addon board for the pi- has a ATmega (the CPU of the arduino) onboard (in addition to some other I/O chips) and is in fact nothing else then an arduino. This opens some nice possibilities to experiment. If there are things that do not require a lot of CPU but are more timing-sensitive (like "read 4 pins at exactly 0.825 ms and do something if at exactly three of them are 1 for 4 times in a row"), it makes more sense to offload that part to a external MCU and have it just send a "event" to the pi when something happens.
                      This way, the pi does not have to deal with all this timing-sensitive stuff.

                      Another project is to use an external arduino (or attiny) as watchdog for a raspberry pi project that resets the pi if -for whatever reason- it gets stuck.

                      In short, if you are now to microcontrollers. The arduino is probably a very good start. Once you get the hang of that and you have projects that need more CPU-power; then you have a good working knowledge to move to the raspberry pi, beaglebone black or whatever other platform might in available at that time.

                      73
                      kristoff - ON1ARF

                      On 12-07-13 05:08, Joe Bleaux wrote:

                      Larry,  Which version of Arduino or is there only one?
                      Does it contain its own C compiler?

                      Thanks.

                      Joe

                      On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 7:24 PM, W8LM <am_fm_radio@...> wrote:

                      Actually the arduino would lend itself to your quest much easier and less expensively than that of a RPI..
                      The arduino once programmed, and powered on runs it's program forever.
                      Let's look at the reasons for Arduino-
                      Do you need internet-networking? NO
                      Do you need 2 usb's for keyboard, mouse? NO
                      Do you need video or a monitor? NO
                      Do we need an operating system? NO

                      The Arduino has analog inputs as well as digital I/O... It can send CW so it can reply to your signal with it's callsign. Arduino programming is done in C and downloaded into the Arduino without extra cost of SD cards. It is possible for the arduino to "decode" tones on it's own. By using one of the popular inexpensive $43 HT's like the Baofeng UV5R's you could put the whole thing together for under $100- antenna to wall outlet complete.

                      The new ARRL book "Ham Radio for ARDUINO and PICAXE" in chapter 13 uses Arduino and a fully described DTMF decoder chip to control a SSTV camera. The programming is fully documented and easy to follow or modify.

                      Regards-

                      Larry W8LM

                      --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "michaeltrogersham" <michaeltrogers@...> wrote:

                      > I have been following the daily emails from this group and am extremely impressed with the vast amounts of knowledge that exchange hands. I am new to electronics, programming, RPI, etc, but I have an idea that would be very beneficial to my family and maybe to others, but I don't know exactly where to start.
                      >
                      > We live in the desert of Arizona. I frequently venture out exploring areas that are out of cell phone range, but fortunately the HAM repeater systems in this state are great and I can remain in contact with my wife over the radio. There are times where she can't hear the radio when I'm calling. The idea I had was to use DTMF tones from the radio input into the RPI. When the correct sequence of tones is detected, then an alarm or flashing lights will go off inside alerting her to my call. Maybe even sent a text message to her phone.
                      >
                      > Has anyone used the RPI as a type of remote control using DTMF tones? I found a website http://pastebin.com/A4bSQwi4 where someone used DTMF tones and a MT8870DE DTMF decoder and Arduino.
                      >
                      > I guess I need to get a breadboard and start the learning process. Any suggestions on how to get started would be terrific! Thanks!
                      >
                      > Michael
                      > KF7CUQ

                    • Mathison Ott
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jul 12 9:57 AM
                        IF your using an SDR here is what you can do: http://qsl.net/kj6dzb/HAM/sdr%20makin.html

                        73 kj6dzb

                        On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 4:09 AM, jwlangner <wb2osz@...> wrote:

                        You don't need to add any specialized hardware to decode DTMF signals.
                        It's not that difficult to perform this function in software.
                        The "Dire Wolf" soundcard TNC, which runs on the RPi, includes a DTMF decoder.
                        Download the source code and look in the file dtmf.c.

                        73, John WB2OSZ

                        --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "michaeltrogersham" <michaeltrogers@...> wrote:

                        > Has anyone used the RPI as a type of remote control using DTMF tones?
                        >
                        > I guess I need to get a breadboard and start the learning process. Any suggestions on how to get started would be terrific! Thanks!
                        >
                        > Michael
                        > KF7CUQ

                      • Joe Bleaux
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jul 12 2:36 PM
                          Thanks for the info, Larry.  I will check out the link that you gave me.  I have a number of dev. boards for the ARM family and am looking forward to getting my feet wet in the Arduino pool.

                          I used to design much stuff with the 8051 family including a radio linked dtmf controller that did lots of stuff.
                          I used the now discontinued 75t2090 fam. for the dtmf chip and it worked beautifully.

                          In your opinion, should I start out with the UNO or go for the Mega or some such?

                          Joe

                          Message 12 of 27 , Jul 13 9:10 AM
                            Several questions have been asked about how to set a fixed IP address and/or enter wifi parameters without needing a monitor and keyboard. Up till now I've connected via ethernet, got the DHCP assigned address from my router, and used ssh to set up the wifi params. I've recently bought a model A without ethernet, so I looked for another solution. It seems pretty simple (at least to me!)

                            I've created a root fs that can be installed on the boot partition of the card from Windows. It basically just copies the network config from the boot partition to the main ext4 partition, sets the root fs back to normal, and reboots.

                            To install, create an SD card as usual using Win32DiskImager. I used the latest Rasbian from the pi site. Download https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/31910649/piautoconf.7z to the boot partition, and uncompress it (You'll need 7-zip from  http://www.7-zip.org/ if you don't already have it)

                            cmdline.txt is replaced by one that sets the rootfs to the first partition on the card.

                            Edit file interfaces to set your desired network configuration.

                            Boot up the pi. It should boot twice, the first time using the root file system from the boot partition, the second time as normal. You should then be able to connect to the pi using the specified ip address.

                            Any comments or suggestions for improvement would be welcome.

                            73, John G8BPQ

                            For those interested in how it works, the significant files are cmdline.txt, /etc/inittab, and /etc/confignet

                            cmdline.txt

                            dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=ttyAMA0,115200 kgdboc=ttyAMA0,115200 console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p1 rootfstype=vfat elevator=deadline rootwait
                            /etc/inittab

                            # /etc/inittab: init(8) configuration.
                            # $Id: inittab,v 1.91 2002/01/25 13:35:21 miquels Exp $

                            # The default runlevel.
                            id:2:initdefault:

                            # Boot-time system configuration/initialization script.
                            # This is run first except when booting in emergency (-b) mode.
                            si::sysinit:/etc/confignet

                            # What to do in single-user mode.
                            ~~:S:wait:/sbin/sulogin

                            # Normally not reached, but fallthrough in case of emergency.
                            z6:6:respawn:/sbin/sulogin

                            /etc/confignet

                            #!/bin/bash

                            mount -a

                            cp /mnt/etc/network/interfaces /mnt/etc/network/interfaces.save
                            cp /interfaces /mnt/etc/network
                            cp /realcmdline.txt /cmdline.txt

                            reboot -f

                          • Joe Bleaux
                            Message 13 of 27 , Jul 13 5:17 PM

                              Thanks, Larry and Steve.

                              I ordered an Arduino Mega clone and also the TI MPS430 Launchboard.
                              I already have a RPi but haven't done anything with it, as yet.

                              I am anxious to get back into it.  Have suffered a long bout of pneumonia and think that I am just now getting over it.  Let the 1's and 0's fly.

                              Joe

                            • Kristoff Bonne
                              Message 14 of 27 , Jul 15 2:42 PM
                                Hi Stephen,

                                This launchpad surely looks interesting.
                                Based on what I found, there seams to be a couple of different versions of it: the launchpad, C2000, stellaris, Tiva C. I haven't yet found out what is the exact difference between them.
                                It is nice to see that the MCUs are in DIP-format which is good for designing your own project.

                                One thing, I'm just wondering how big the community around the MSP430 is. Normally, I use hackaday (http://hackaday.com/) as a reference to get an idea on how many people are using a certain technology and I think I find 3 to 4 times as much AVR or PIC based projects then MSP-based designs.

                                73
                                kristoff - ON1ARF

                              • kb9mwr
                                Message 15 of 27 , Jul 15 2:55 PM
                                  A software approach to DTMF decoding could be done with a the multimon-ng software package.

                                  --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "michaeltrogersham" <michaeltrogers@...> wrote:

                                  > I have been following the daily emails from this group and am extremely impressed with the vast amounts of knowledge that exchange hands. I am new to electronics, programming, RPI, etc, but I have an idea that would be very beneficial to my family and maybe to others, but I don't know exactly where to start.
                                  >
                                  > We live in the desert of Arizona. I frequently venture out exploring areas that are out of cell phone range, but fortunately the HAM repeater systems in this state are great and I can remain in contact with my wife over the radio. There are times where she can't hear the radio when I'm calling. The idea I had was to use DTMF tones from the radio input into the RPI. When the correct sequence of tones is detected, then an alarm or flashing lights will go off inside alerting her to my call. Maybe even sent a text message to her phone.
                                  >
                                  > Has anyone used the RPI as a type of remote control using DTMF tones? I found a website http://pastebin.com/A4bSQwi4 where someone used DTMF tones and a MT8870DE DTMF decoder and Arduino.
                                  >
                                  > I guess I need to get a breadboard and start the learning process. Any suggestions on how to get started would be terrific! Thanks!
                                  >
                                  > Michael
                                  > KF7CUQ

                                • Stephen Farthing
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Jul 16 12:53 AM
                                    Hi -

                                    There is quite a big MSP430 Launchpad community and a lot of on line information. The other two Launchpads (- and Piccolo) are based on ARM processors. I have agreed to do a small set of project based tutorials for the QRP_Computing list using Energia (which is essentially the Arduino programming language) for the 430. However you can do no better than start by looking here :-

                                    for an introduction using C and some links.

                                    Also, if you are not frightened by C read here :-

                                    There are various C compiler choices, GCC is available, and there a a couple of commercial compilers with IDEs and free "cut down" versions. IAR Embedded workbench is one …-

                                    The community is a little fragmented but the focus of activity is here

                                    Where, in the back posts, you will find a few Ham projects such as a DDS controller and a WSPR beacon.

                                    If you need anything more please contact me off list. I really don't want to clog this list up with non-pi traffic! (And I also want to spend an hour playing with my Beaglebone Black which came last week. Will the Beagle eat the Pi? )

                                    One last point of interest to Pi users. The MSP430 family were designed for mixed signal processing.
                                    and the ones with the Launchpad contain 10 bit ADCs which can be communicated with over I2C. I just paid about 12 euros for 12 of the '2553 chips which come with the launchpad. So at little cost you can add some ADCs to your Pi :-)

                                    Bye for now,

                                    Steve G0XAR

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Jul 16 6:15 AM
                                      The repeater program already has the ability for remote control, there is provisions for I/O control
                                      using the UR field. Also there is 4 'commands' available that you can use to run system commands,
                                      programs, or script files. No need for DTMF decoding, just program a few memory channels with the
                                      appropriate UF,RPT1,RPT2 field settings. One of the digital I/O pins could be used to activate that
                                      light or a buzzed/sonalert device to draw attention.

                                      BTW, the DTMF keys pressed are sent as digital representations in the data stream so they can be
                                      received without using the ambe chip to turn the voice channel back into analog, the repeater uses
                                      this digital data, it is possible you could mod the program a bit to make it do what you want via DTMF.

                                      On 7/15/13 5:55 PM, kb9mwr wrote:
                                      > A software approach to DTMF decoding could be done with a the multimon-ng software package.
                                      >

                                      > --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "michaeltrogersham" <michaeltrogers@...> wrote:
                                      >> I have been following the daily emails from this group and am extremely impressed with the vast amounts of knowledge that exchange hands. I am new to electronics, programming, RPI, etc, but I have an idea that would be very beneficial to my family and maybe to others, but I don't know exactly where to start.
                                      >>
                                      >> We live in the desert of Arizona. I frequently venture out exploring areas that are out of cell phone range, but fortunately the HAM repeater systems in this state are great and I can remain in contact with my wife over the radio. There are times where she can't hear the radio when I'm calling. The idea I had was to use DTMF tones from the radio input into the RPI. When the correct sequence of tones is detected, then an alarm or flashing lights will go off inside alerting her to my call. Maybe even sent a text message to her phone.
                                      >>
                                      >> Has anyone used the RPI as a type of remote control using DTMF tones? I found a website http://pastebin.com/A4bSQwi4 where someone used DTMF tones and a MT8870DE DTMF decoder and Arduino.
                                      >>
                                      >> I guess I need to get a breadboard and start the learning process. Any suggestions on how to get started would be terrific! Thanks!
                                      >>
                                      >> Michael
                                      >> KF7CUQ

                                    • Kristoff Bonne
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Jul 18 1:58 PM
                                        Hi,

                                        On 15-07-13 23:55, kb9mwr wrote:

                                        A software approach to DTMF decoding could be done with a the multimon-ng software package.

                                        Actually, I have been looking for a quick and easy way to generate APRS message. I use APRS via the internet to "broadcast" some information about events in out local radio-club (ON4OS).

                                        However, it would be nice (and more "ham" like) to actually broadcast this via a radio. As I am pretty close to the local APRS digipeater, I guess all that is needed is a device that generates a AFSK stream, one of these cheap chinese HTs and a a little bit of interfacing.

                                        I know that using a pi for this is probably really "overkill" and that this can probably also be done using an arduino (a nice exercise in DDS :-)) but a unix device would be a nice "quick hack" to get something in the air.

                                        I know there are programs like xastir, aprsd and othters, but I am looking for something to just generate a APRS packet and pipe it out to the audio-port.

                                        73
                                        kristoff - ON1ARF

                                      • Ray Wells
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Jul 18 4:35 PM
                                          Xastir uses festival (available from the repository) to generate speech. Perhaps that's an answer.

                                          Whilst I didn't use speech on my Pi I did compile xastir from sources to successfully include festival.

                                          Ray vk2tv

                                          On 19/07/13 06:58, Kristoff Bonne wrote:

                                          Hi,

                                          On 15-07-13 23:55, kb9mwr wrote:

[...]

                                        • marco.kubon
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Jul 18 11:13 PM
                                            Hi Kristoff,

                                            You can try aprx which you will find on http://wiki.ham.fi/Aprx.en

                                            It's running fine on the Raspi.

                                            73 de Marco
                                            DL1MX

                                            --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Kristoff Bonne <kristoff@...> wrote:

                                            > Hi,
                                            >

                                            > On 15-07-13 23:55, kb9mwr wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > A software approach to DTMF decoding could be done with a the
                                            > > multimon-ng software package.
                                            > >

                                            > Actually, I have been looking for a quick and easy way to generate APRS
                                            > message. I use APRS via the internet to "broadcast" some information
                                            > about events in out local radio-club (ON4OS).
                                            >
                                            > However, it would be nice (and more "ham" like) to actually broadcast
                                            > this via a radio. As I am pretty close to the local APRS digipeater, I
                                            > guess all that is needed is a device that generates a AFSK stream, one
                                            > of these cheap chinese HTs and a a little bit of interfacing.
                                            >

                                            > I know that using a pi for this is probably really "overkill" and that
                                            > this can probably also be done using an arduino (a nice exercise in DDS
                                            > :-)) but a unix device would be a nice "quick hack" to get something in
                                            > the air.
                                            >

                                            > I know there are programs like xastir, aprsd and othters, but I am
                                            > looking for something to just generate a APRS packet and pipe it out to
                                            > the audio-port.
                                            >

                                            > 73
                                            > kristoff - ON1ARF

                                          • Matthew Pitts
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Jul 18 11:55 PM

                                              On a semi related note, has anyone tried Bluetooth audio on the Raspberry Pi? Specifically Bluetooth headsets and USB Dongles. I am wanting to use one as audio input and output for one of mine but haven't taken the time to research compatibility on this.

                                              Matthew Pitts
                                              N8OHU

                                              Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

                                              Message 22 of 27 , Jul 19 3:26 AM
                                                In addition. dixprs is another fine program with a very small fotoprint and the added functionaliteit to place your own bulletins etc via a very simple method using plain text files. Works out of the box on rpi.
                                                https://sites.google.com/site/dixprs/
                                                the method to put your own bulletins is described in the groups discussion page

                                                https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!searchin/dixprs/spool$20directory$20/dixprs/ayxvTw6B994

                                                Hope it helps.

                                                Erik

                                                --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "marco.kubon" <dl1mx@...> wrote:

                                                > Hi Kristoff,
                                                >
                                                > You can try aprx which you will find on http://wiki.ham.fi/Aprx.en
                                                >
                                                > It's running fine on the Raspi.
                                                >
                                                > 73 de Marco
                                                > DL1MX
                                                >
                                                > --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Kristoff Bonne <kristoff@> wrote:
                                                > >
                                                > > Hi,
                                                > >

                                                > > On 15-07-13 23:55, kb9mwr wrote:
                                                > > >
                                                > > > A software approach to DTMF decoding could be done with a the
                                                > > > multimon-ng software package.
                                                > > >

                                                > > Actually, I have been looking for a quick and easy way to generate APRS
                                                > > message. I use APRS via the internet to "broadcast" some information
                                                > > about events in out local radio-club (ON4OS).
                                                > >
                                                > > However, it would be nice (and more "ham" like) to actually broadcast
                                                > > this via a radio. As I am pretty close to the local APRS digipeater, I
                                                > > guess all that is needed is a device that generates a AFSK stream, one
                                                > > of these cheap chinese HTs and a a little bit of interfacing.
                                                > >

                                                > > I know that using a pi for this is probably really "overkill" and that
                                                > > this can probably also be done using an arduino (a nice exercise in DDS
                                                > > :-)) but a unix device would be a nice "quick hack" to get something in
                                                > > the air.
                                                > >

                                                > > I know there are programs like xastir, aprsd and othters, but I am
                                                > > looking for something to just generate a APRS packet and pipe it out to
                                                > > the audio-port.
                                                > >

                                                > > 73
                                                > > kristoff - ON1ARF

                                              • Kristoff Bonne
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Jul 19 1:07 PM
                                                  Hi Ray, Marco, Erik,

                                                  Actually, I have been experimenting with this yesterday-evening (but it was already past midnight, to late to still post a follow up on this message).

                                                  It actually turns out there trick to do this using one of the basic tools of the ax25-tools package: beacon.

                                                  As the name implies, it's a tool to broadcast AX.25 "beacon" messages, but it turns out that these are nothing else then just regular "UI" AX.25 packets; which is exactly the same as used by APRS.

                                                  This is the CLI command to do this:
                                                  beacon -c ON1ARF -d 'APZ001 via WIDE1-1' -l -s aprs ";ON4OS    *182215z5117.04N/00253.53E-UBA-OST vrijdag 20-24u, zondag 10-12u"

                                                  -c = source call, -d = destination call
                                                  -l = only transmit one single "beacon" message
                                                  -s = ax.25 port (as found in /etc/ax25/axports)

                                                  This works together with the soundmodem and kissattach. The hardware is a simple audio-dongle, 2 caps to provide some kind of seperation and a FM trx in VOX mode.

                                                  I'm currently testing this on my pandaboard but I see no reason that it should not run in a pi too.

                                                  73
                                                  kristoff - ON1ARF

                                                  On 18-07-13 22:58, Kristoff Bonne wrote:

                                                  Hi,

                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Jul 19 1:31 PM
                                                    Hi Ray,

                                                    What I had in mind was to generate APRS messages using some tool; but your message did get me thinking. As you mention festival (a text-to-speech tool), why not use a Pi to create a sort of bridge between APRS and normal FM radio?

                                                    Using a radio (or the 20 dollar "RTL" DAB/DVB-T stick) we can monitor the local APRS frequencies and decode it with multimon-ng.

                                                    Then, use certain information as received in APRS to trigger the broadcast of a spoken message in FM (on a local FM frequency or on the local repeater).

                                                    A possible application would be to monitor the information from a local WX-station and send out a "warning: low-temperature alert, possible ice on roads" warning if needed.

                                                    Another idea is something I noticed yesterday when looking at the log-files of all APRS messages I received:
                                                    aprs: fm ON0ABT to DX via WIDE2-2 ctl UIv pid=F0(Text) len 76 00:44:48
                                                    DX de    ON0ABT>430512.5  ON0BT-10     110 dg frm    ON0ABT            81km
                                                    aprs: fm ON0ABT to DX via WIDE2-2 ctl UIv pid=F0(Text) len 76 01:04:48
                                                    DX de    ON0ABT>430512.5  ON0BT-10     110 dg frm    ON0ABT            81km
                                                    aprs: fm ON0ABT to DX via WIDE2-2 ctl UIv pid=F0(Text) len 76 01:24:48
                                                    DX de    ON0ABT>430512.5  ON0BT-10     110 dg frm    ON0ABT            81km
                                                    aprs: fm ON0ABT to DX via WIDE2-2 ctl UIv pid=F0(Text) len 76 01:27:11
                                                    DX de    ON0ABT>430512.5  PI1RWK       033 dg frm    ON0ABT           123km
                                                    aprs: fm ON0ABT to DX via WIDE2-2 ctl UIv pid=F0(Text) len 76 01:47:17
                                                    DX de    ON0ABT>430512.5  PI1RWK       033 dg frm    ON0ABT           123km
                                                    aprs: fm ON0ABT to DX via WIDE2-2 ctl UIv pid=F0(Text) len 76 02:27:15
                                                    DX de    ON0ABT>430512.5  PI1RWK       033 dg frm    ON0ABT           123km
                                                    aprs: fm ON0ABT to DX via WIDE2-2 ctl UIv pid=F0(Text) len 76 02:39:08
                                                    DX de    ON0ABT>430512.5  PE1OEZ-7     026 dg frm    ON0ABT           280km
                                                    aprs: fm ON0ABT to DX via WIDE2-2 ctl UIv pid=F0(Text) len 76 03:09:08
                                                    DX de    ON0ABT>430512.5  PE1OEZ-7     026 dg frm    ON0ABT           280km
                                                    aprs: fm ON0ABT to DX via WIDE2-2 ctl UIv pid=F0(Text) len 76 04:32:27
                                                    DX de    ON0ABT>430512.5  PI1RWK       033 dg frm    ON0ABT           123km
                                                    aprs: fm ON0ABT to DX via WIDE2-2 ctl UIv pid=F0(Text) len 76 04:47:28
                                                    DX de    ON0ABT>430512.5  PI1RWK       033 dg frm    ON0ABT           123km
                                                    aprs: fm ON0ABT to DX via WIDE2-2 ctl UIv pid=F0(Text) len 76 04:59:04
                                                    DX de    ON0ABT>430512.5  PE1OEZ-7     026 dg frm    ON0ABT           280km
                                                    aprs: fm ON0ABT to DX via WIDE2-2 ctl UIv pid=F0(Text) len 76 06:15:01
                                                    DX de    ON0ABT>430512.5  ON0DAS-4     091 dg frm    ON0ABT           123km
                                                    aprs: fm ON0ABT to DX via WIDE2-2 ctl UIv pid=F0(Text) len 76 06:30:01
                                                    DX de    ON0ABT>430512.5  ON0DAS-4     091 dg frm    ON0ABT           123km
                                                    aprs: fm ON0ABT to DX via WIDE2-2 ctl UIv pid=F0(Text) len 76 06:45:05
                                                    DX de    ON0ABT>430512.5  ON0DAS-4     091 dg frm    ON0ABT           123km
                                                    aprs: fm ON0ABT to DX via WIDE2-2 ctl UIv pid=F0(Text) len 76 07:44:28
                                                    DX de    ON0ABT>430512.5  ON0DAS-4     091 dg frm    ON0ABT           123km
                                                    aprs: fm ON0ABT to DX via WIDE2-2 ctl UIv pid=F0(Text) len 76 08:21:13
                                                    DX de    ON0ABT>430512.5  ON4MAX       117 dg frm    ON0ABT           188km
                                                    aprs: fm ON0ABT to DX via WIDE2-2 ctl UIv pid=F0(Text) len 76 09:34:48
                                                    DX de    ON0ABT>430512.5  ON0BT-10     110 dg frm    ON0ABT            81km
                                                    aprs: fm ON0ABT to DX via WIDE2-2 ctl UIv pid=F0(Text) len 76 09:54:48
                                                    DX de    ON0ABT>430512.5  ON0BT-10     110 dg frm    ON0ABT            81km
                                                    aprs: fm ON0ABT to DX via WIDE2-2 ctl UIv pid=F0(Text) len 76 10:14:48
                                                    DX de    ON0ABT>430512.5  ON0BT-10     110 dg frm    ON0ABT            81km

                                                    Hmm. It looks like there where some special propagation conditions on UHF yesterday. It would be nice if we would have got a voice notification when this happened.

                                                    (to bad it was during the nighttime :-( ).

                                                    That looks like a nice application to do and -I guess- it only requires a couple of tools (rtl_fm, multimon-ng, flite, aplay) and a little bit of "glue" code in some scripting language (perl, tcl, python, ...) to wrap it all together.

                                                    73
                                                    kristoff - ON1ARF

                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Jul 19 4:14 PM
                                                      I've moved away from the Pi for my gateway because I wanted to use an old ISA slot Baycom USCC4 to drive the radios. I'm setting up an old 600MHz PIII for that job. However, I did run dixprs on the Pi using a 4 port FTDI USB/RS232 adaptor to drive TNC's. I also upload wx beacons with dixprs. It's a simple process which, like the rest of dixprs, works extremely well.

                                                      If I was to complain about any aspect of dixprs it would be its cpu load of around 25 percent. This might be a consideration for a Pi that's heavily loaded with other applications. Xastir, by way of comparison, sits around 10 percent and it has a gui interface.

                                                      Ray vk2tv

                                                      On 19/07/13 20:26, pa0esh wrote:

                                                      In addition. dixprs is another fine program with a very small fotoprint and the added functionaliteit to place your own bulletins etc via a very simple method using plain text files. Works out of the box on rpi.
                                                      https://sites.google.com/site/dixprs/
                                                      the method to put your own bulletins is described in the groups discussion page

                                                      https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!searchin/dixprs/spool$20directory$20/dixprs/ayxvTw6B994

                                                      Hope it helps.

                                                      Erik

                                                      --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "marco.kubon" <dl1mx@...> wrote:

                                                      > Hi Kristoff,
                                                      >
                                                      > You can try aprx which you will find on http://wiki.ham.fi/Aprx.en
                                                      >
                                                      > It's running fine on the Raspi.
                                                      >
                                                      > 73 de Marco
                                                      > DL1MX
                                                      >
                                                      > --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Kristoff Bonne <kristoff@> wrote:
                                                      > >
                                                      > > Hi,
                                                      > >

                                                      > > On 15-07-13 23:55, kb9mwr wrote:
                                                      > > >
                                                      > > > A software approach to DTMF decoding could be done with a the
                                                      > > > multimon-ng software package.
                                                      > > >

                                                      > > Actually, I have been looking for a quick and easy way to generate APRS
                                                      > > message. I use APRS via the internet to "broadcast" some information
                                                      > > about events in out local radio-club (ON4OS).
                                                      > >
                                                      > > However, it would be nice (and more "ham" like) to actually broadcast
                                                      > > this via a radio. As I am pretty close to the local APRS digipeater, I
                                                      > > guess all that is needed is a device that generates a AFSK stream, one
                                                      > > of these cheap chinese HTs and a a little bit of interfacing.
                                                      > >

                                                      > > I know that using a pi for this is probably really "overkill" and that
                                                      > > this can probably also be done using an arduino (a nice exercise in DDS
                                                      > > :-)) but a unix device would be a nice "quick hack" to get something in
                                                      > > the air.
                                                      > >

                                                      > > I know there are programs like xastir, aprsd and othters, but I am
                                                      > > looking for something to just generate a APRS packet and pipe it out to
                                                      > > the audio-port.
                                                      > >

                                                      > > 73
                                                      > > kristoff - ON1ARF

                                                    • Ray Wells

                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Jul 19 5:27 PM
                                                          Kristoff,

                                                          There's some great command line tools (sed, head, tail, etc) available to extract just the information fields you need from those beacons and pipe the result through festival.

                                                          Your project has given me an idea. I have a script that's a combination of shell commands and Perl that downloads the html weather page from the local airport as a text file, with lynx. I then use egrep, head, sed and cut to extract the fields I want from the first line (latest data) of wx data. Perl handles the mathematics to convert metric data to the aprs format. The various data is then assembled into an aprs wx beacon format for sending to xastir or dixprs for broadcast. Some of that data would be suitable for broadcasting on a voice channel, along the lines you mention. Mmmm, just what I need, another project <grin>

                                                          Ray vk2tv