Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Re: Raspberry Pi/WIFI/Static Address

  • Vincent
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 11, 2013
      On 7/11/2013 4:33 AM, Michael AE4ML wrote:
      > > One of my questions is does anyone know if I can connect to the RPi
      > via WIFI using the VNC viewer?
      It will work with either wired or WiFi network connection.

      > > What would I need in order to connect and how?
      Use DHCP on both interfaces.

      > > I would also like to connect using the RPi in hotels that have WIFI
      > available in the quest rooms. How can I enter passwords into the RPi
      > to get WIFI service? I am sure I would need a keyboard and monitor but
      > if that's what I need, I just as well leave the RPi at home and plug
      > the DVAP into my laptop computer.....
      Yes you'll need the keyboard & monitor.
      Using the RPi has geek cool factor going for it. At least try it a few
      times.

      > > I also would like to know how I can give the RPi a static address?
      Not recommended for what you want to do.

      --

      Vincent Tompkins
      I am NOT n2ohh - my station is.
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 11, 2013
        Do you know how to set an assigned DCHP address in your router.
        You will need the MAC address of your NIC. assign an address to the NIC and set up the PI for DHCP.
        Anytime your PI NIC card is reset you will get the address via DHCP that you programmed in your router, no more Guessing.

        To get the MAC Address   type ipconfig into a terminal.  The MAC is a string of hex numbers.

        On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 4:33 AM, Michael AE4ML <ml41782@...> wrote:

        This won't work.
        You can only have one default gateway on a device.
        Your choice use the wifi or the Ethernet . My suggestion is use the Ethernet and put an access point on your network and access it in that manor. You can do what you are trying to do but this would mean setting up VLANS with sub-interfaces. My first option is the better of the two for simplicity and troubleshooting.

        Mike AE4ML

        --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Max Harper <kg4pid@...> wrote:

        > I set a static address on my Pi by editing /etc/network/interfaces. Mine looks like this, change to match your network. Wish I could help you with the rest but I'm new to this to.
        >
        > sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces
        >
        > auto lo
        >

        > iface lo inet loopback
        > iface eth0 inet static
        > address 192.168.1.199
        > netmask 255.255.255.0
        > gateway 192.168.1.1
        >

        > allow-hotplug wlan0
        > iface wlan0 inet manual
        > wpa-roam /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
        > iface default inet static
        > address 192.168.1.199
        > netmask 255.255.255.0
        > gateway 192.168.1.1
        >

        > ________________________________

      • Vincent
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 11, 2013
          On 7/11/2013 9:58 AM, John Lawrence wrote:
          > To get the MAC Address type ipconfig into a terminal.
          That is the Windows command and actually it's ipconfig/all.
          For Linux use either
          ifconfig
          or
          ip a s

          the ip command is replacing the ifconfig in Linux - meaning it's deprecated.

          --

          Vincent Tompkins
          I am NOT n2ohh - my station is.
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 12, 2013
            This can be done on some routers. You need to get the documentation on yours. The command sets differ from one manufacturer to the next.