file or directory does not exist?

  • vk4tub
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 5, 2013
      Greetings all

      Cant someone tell what is going on when from a command prompt if i attempt to change directories i get file or directory does not exist.

      i have just reloaded Bernard's Image for the third time now in order to try and execute a call sign change so that i might be able to get ffb to work?

      From my original image i got > and a white square when i tried to execute the grep -rl F6GAL *| xargs sed -i 's/F6GAL/F6BVP/g' command.
      And it seemed to have locked up. Running out of patience as i have wasted yet more time and got nowhere these days it is quicker to just reload the image and start again, that much I am now and expert in doing ;_))

      So i scraped it and reloaded a new image several times only to find that in the command prompt I cannot access the cd /etc/ax25 as when I do this i get file or directory does not exist??
      If i load the gui and run file manager there it is.

      These problems and many more like them have been plaguing me since i first tried to compile fbb on to the PI last year.

      if i could only get through the installation process and get a working version of fbb I might have a fighting chance.

      Some how this seems to be impossible with anything i have attempted with the pi so far.

      So what is it that i am doing wrong with linux that all of you seem be be able to make work?

      Kerry
    • Kerry McKenzie
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 6, 2013
        Ok it would appear that i have found the problem

        permissions are killing me off every time i am trying to do anything
        with these units.

        can someone give me a kick ass login that will give me permissions to do
        everything??

        right now i thought if i typed in root and gave it the password that it
        would be all i need....wrong!
        if i switch to a gui only some things seem to work, and if I open a file
        manager then it gets worse.
        i can edit a folder sometimes, but cannot save the work, but other times
        can??

        root does not work if you open up the gui ?

        So how do i fix this so I can do what every i want wthout all the
        different levels of permissions
        that are screwing me around.
        As it really is tedious to have to try and figure out how not to loose
        work because the setup will allow me to create what i
        like but cannot save anything. Edit some things with ease while others
        are impossible even though I typed in the root command in a comand line
        as it would appear that if i type in root it will only give permission
        for that particular fold and not the hole hard disk?

        this seems to have been my nemesis from what would appear to have been
        from the beginning

        fbb is now working ! but having to continually get permission for every
        folder is a bit silly and there has to be a better way.

        your thought to overcome this would be so very much appreciated as root
        is not root as i expected it to be?

        Kerry

        --
        Kind Regards
        Kerry McKenzie

        PO Box 4492
        Kirwan QLD 4817
        Australia
      • oz1cbk
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 6, 2013
          Hi.

          When I have permissions problems I use this command to give files and folders samme permissions.

          Folders:
          find . -type d -exec chmod 755 {} \;

          Files:
          find . -type f -exec chmod 644 {} \;

          I can't say if that is Your problem, but here it Works :)

          Ole - oz1cbk

          --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Kerry McKenzie <kermck@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > > wasted yet more time and got nowhere these days it is quicker to just
          > > reload the image and start again, that much I am now and expert in
          > > doing ;_))
          > >
          > > So i scraped it and reloaded a new image several times only to find
          > > that in the command prompt I cannot access the cd /etc/ax25 as when I
          > > do this i get file or directory does not exist??
          > > If i load the gui and run file manager there it is.
          > >
          > > These problems and many more like them have been plaguing me since i
          > > first tried to compile fbb on to the PI last year.
          > >
          > > if i could only get through the installation process and get a working
          > > version of fbb I might have a fighting chance.
          > >
          > > Some how this seems to be impossible with anything i have attempted
          > > with the pi so far.
          > >
          > > So what is it that i am doing wrong with linux that all of you seem be

        • Kerry McKenzie
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 6, 2013
            Hi Ollie
            and thanks Bob has also given me a root setup that wil give me
            everything, and i have now got fbb to work!!

            I believe this has been my problem all along :-((

            thanks again havent a clue what it means but i will have a go....thanks
            Kerry

            --
            Kind Regards
            Kerry McKenzie

            PO Box 4492
            Kirwan QLD 4817
            Australia
          • Paul M
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 7, 2013
              An explanation of permissions can be found here:

              Meanwhile, don't forget 'sudo'.

              Another method of finding files is adding 'locate' (sudo apt-get install mlocate [sic] if you are using a Debian-based system). The form a database by the command sudo updatdb
              You can then find the file using locate filename or (e.g.) locate ilename (sudo not needed).

              Disclaimers: I have entered into no agreements regarding mails erroneously sent to this address, and reserve the right to do as I wish with any such emails.