Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] VNC/WiFI

  • John Ferrell
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 29, 2013
      VNC works fine for me but I doubt I could set up the configuration to
      boot to it without a local keyboard first.
      There are only a few wifi dongles that are supported at this time.
      ADAFRUIT is one vendor that offers a supported device.

      --
      John Ferrell W8CCW
      "The pessimist complains about the wind;
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 29, 2013

        On 6/29/2013 1:06 PM, John wrote:
        > Will the raspberry pi work with vnc on a wifi dongle or must the RPi
        > be connected via either net cable?

        --
        John Ferrell W8CCW
        "The pessimist complains about the wind;
        The optimist expects it to change;
        The realist adjusts the sails."
        William A. Ward

        Everything I've done on the Pi has been performed remotely because I don't posses a suitable monitor. I gave the Pi a fixed IP address by reading/writing the SD card in another Linux machine (my primary operating system at home).

        Initial setting up was with Ethernet to be able to "apt-get" the tools I needed to set up the wifi for the remote installation. I've had a number of installations (besides the Pi) where Network Manager has not allowed me to set up wifi so I automatically go to wicd these days. Wicd has the added advantage of a graphical interface in a console. The two usb dongles I've used are the TP-Link 721 and a Realtek 8189 copy. Both worked fine via a powered USB hub. I did have concerns about the wifi link failng for no apparent reason. - sometimes as soon as a few hours and sometimes as long as ten days. I implemented the "fixes" that were to be found on the Internet but nothing I did fixed the problem. If web pages are any guide I'm far from the only person with this issue. Because I needed 24/7/365 reliability I retired the Pi from aprs gateway service.

        I may have had better reliability with Ethernet but I can't get a cable to where the Pi was located. I still think the Pi is a brilliant device but not in my application for it.

        BTW, I did initially uses VNC, activated via a ssh link from Putty but for convenience I moved to xrdp. However, 99% of my interaction with the Pi was via a console.

        Ray vk2tv
      • Brian
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 30, 2013
          --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "John" <n0meq@...> wrote:

          > Will the raspberry pi work with vnc on a wifi dongle or must the RPi be connected via either net cable? Also, anyone know of a good site to reference setting up port forwarding on apple router/time capsule for vnc? I am having difficulty setting it up. I can't get into the RPi from my IPad and I believe that's why....
          >
          > John
          > N0MEQ

          I've added VNC servers to the 'standard' image, plus web, FTP, and SSH servers, so they are there on boot up.

          You are welcome to a copy of the image, several on the group have used it.

          It was project for my school IT dept, so they could access the R Pi's via the Network using VNC from PCs and iPads.

          You will have to add the config for your 'dongle' but, if you use one those which are R Pi compatible, they drivers etc. are there and it is virtually self configuing.

          Drop me an Email and I will send you a Dropbox link for the file etc.
          It is set up for an 8G SD card.

          73
          Brian
          G8OSN/W8OSN
          www.g8osn.net
        • Mathison Ott
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 30, 2013

            I work from the command line, so if i need to launch a desktop ( mind you that startx took place at boot up)  type x11vnc -display :0  then i connect!  I wouldn't write a script to do this because why have it running if your not using it?

            73 kj6dzb Mathison

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 30, 2013
              http://www.xrdp.org/

              Just start remote desktop on you Windows box and login -- it gives you desktop on your Pi (with xrdp installed)

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 30, 2013
                I have a nib TP-Link 821 that I would try if I could figure out where to
                start.
                Where/how should I go about looking for the software side of things?

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 30, 2013
                  Your dongle appears to function OOTB with the Pi so that's a good start.

                  http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeripherals#USB_Wi-Fi_Adapters

                  In my case, even though the 721 was recognised by the Pi and supposed to work OOTB, network-manager would not allow me to configure it so I installed wicd.

                  sudo apt-get install wicd wicd-curses .... apt will also mark dependencies for installation.

                  I removed network-manager

                  sudo apt-get remove network-manager network-manager-gnome

                  Call up wicd-curses to configure. If your 821 is "alive" your local wifi network (and others in range) should be listed. For a dynamic ip address you'll just need to provide ssid and password. It "should" be that easy.

                  wicd has a number of options such as "Refresh". That option is accessed with an upper case "R". The Config option appears to need -> but in reality it need the right arrow.

                  Ray vk2tv