Has anyone used a Raspberry Pi to run Slow Scan Television

  • Colin Christie
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 29, 2013
      Hello, I am new tto this group and also hold the callsign VK2JCC. Just thinking has anyone used the Pi as a backbone for Slow Scan Televsion? I note Tncs have been so iguess it must be possible! Well of to start playing w
      ith this cute little device to see what I can learn. 73's Colin
    • siegfried jackstien
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 29, 2013
        See if you find an sstv software that could be used on linux (compiled to
        run on raspi) ... add soundcard dongle to the raspi ... and it "should" work

        Dg9bfc

        Sigi

      • Vincent
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 29, 2013
          On 6/29/2013 4:23 PM, siegfried jackstien wrote:
          > See if you find an sstv software that could be used on linux
          Try qsstv
          It also works on windows.

          --

          Vincent Tompkins
          I am NOT n2ohh - my station is.
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 30, 2013
            QSSTV for Linux: http://users.telenet.be/on4qz/

            I believe that the most recent update was in 2012.

            There is another Linux-friendly digital-sstv app but I don't
            recall the name.

            --

            Thanks! & 73, KD4E.com

            David Colburn - Nevils, Georgia USA

            Search with: duckduckgo.com

          • gpolder
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 5, 2014
              You can use the Raspberry Pi for transmitting SSTV without any additional hardware.
              I made a SSTV camera based on PiFM.
              Details can be found here:
              http://www.instructables.com/id/Raspberry-Pi-security-Slow-Scan-Television-Camera/

              (currently its an entry in the instructables raspberry pi contest. So when you like this project, please vote for it!)
            • ve7knl
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 1, 2014
                Hi everyone.  I've been trying to get pisstv installed on my Pi.  When I enter
                gcc -lgd -lmagic -o pisstv pisstv.c, it comes back

                /usr/bin/ld: /tmp/cco9lrR5.o: undefined reference to symbol 'sin@@GLIBC_2.4'

                //lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libm.so.6: error adding symbols: DSO missing from command line
                 collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

                I'm obviously missing something, but I have no idea what.

              • ve7knl
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 1, 2014
                  Hi all. My last attempt didn't seem to post so I'll try again.  I've been trying to get the sstv from www.instructables to install. I get as far as
                  gcc -lgd -lmagic -o pisstv pisstv.c and it comes back

                  /usr/bin/ld: /tmp/ccHqMKef.o: undefined reference to symbol 'sin@@GLIBC_2.4'
                  //lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libm.so.6: error adding symbols: DSO missing from command line

                  collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

                  What am I missing?

                • Mathison Ott
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 1, 2014
                    Interest in this subject I have a RPI with the pi camera. Please post your success so others can try it out.

                    73 Mathison Kj6dzb
                  • David Hamill
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 2, 2014
                      ve7knl wrote:

                      > When I enter
                      >
                      > gcc -lgd -lmagic -o pisstv pisstv.c, it comes back
                      >
                      > /usr/bin/ld: /tmp/cco9lrR5.o: undefined reference to symbol
                      > 'sin@@GLIBC_2.4'
                      >
                      > //lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libm.so.6: error adding symbols: DSO missing
                      > from command line
                      > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
                      >
                      > I'm obviously missing something, but I have no idea what.

                      This is a message from ld, the linker that forms part of the gcc compilation
                      chain.
                      It's complaining that it can't find the symbol "sin". I assume this is the
                      mathematical sine function.

                      The usual reason for this sort of error is that you haven't explicitly asked
                      for the maths library to be linked in. It may seem odd, but C compilers
                      don't usually include the maths library by default, even if the source code
                      contains "#include <math.h>"!

                      Try adding -lm to the command line options and see if that cures the
                      problem:

                      gcc -lm -lgd -lmagic -o pisstv pisstv.c

                      David
                    • ve7knl
                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 2, 2014
                        That did it.  Thanks David.
                      • ve7knl
                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 2, 2014
                          Hi Mathison.  I've been playing around with http://tinyurl.com/oxpfp5c

                          Thanks to David's help, I have captured an image with the picam, transmitted it over 2m and captured it with mmsstv. There's still a ways to go before I'm ready to put it on the air but the test run so far looks good.

                        • Mathison Ott
                          Message 12 of 15 , Sep 3, 2014
                            Here is another example. http://hsbp.org/rpi-sstv.

                            So what sort of things until its ready for AIR TIME?

                            Whats the real world transmission frame rate?

                            mathison

                            On Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 8:22 AM, ve7knl@... [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] <Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                            Hi Mathison.  I've been playing around with http://tinyurl.com/oxpfp5c

                            Thanks to David's help, I have captured an image with the picam, transmitted it over 2m and captured it with mmsstv. There's still a ways to go before I'm ready to put it on the air but the test run so far looks good.

                          • Clinton

                                Message 15 of 15 , Sep 5, 2014
                                  320x256