VNC/WiFI

  • John
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 29, 2013
      Will the raspberry pi work with vnc on a wifi dongle or must the RPi be connected via either net cable? Also, anyone know of a good site to reference setting up port forwarding on apple router/time capsule for vnc? I am having difficulty setting it up. I can't get into the RPi from my IPad and I believe that's why....

      John
      N0MEQ
    • John Ferrell
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 29, 2013
        VNC works fine for me but I doubt I could set up the configuration to
        boot to it without a local keyboard first.
        There are only a few wifi dongles that are supported at this time.
        ADAFRUIT is one vendor that offers a supported device.

        --
        John Ferrell W8CCW
        "The pessimist complains about the wind;
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 29, 2013

          On 6/29/2013 1:06 PM, John wrote:
          > Will the raspberry pi work with vnc on a wifi dongle or must the RPi
          > be connected via either net cable?

          --
          John Ferrell W8CCW
          "The pessimist complains about the wind;
          The optimist expects it to change;
          The realist adjusts the sails."
          William A. Ward

          Everything I've done on the Pi has been performed remotely because I don't posses a suitable monitor. I gave the Pi a fixed IP address by reading/writing the SD card in another Linux machine (my primary operating system at home).

          Initial setting up was with Ethernet to be able to "apt-get" the tools I needed to set up the wifi for the remote installation. I've had a number of installations (besides the Pi) where Network Manager has not allowed me to set up wifi so I automatically go to wicd these days. Wicd has the added advantage of a graphical interface in a console. The two usb dongles I've used are the TP-Link 721 and a Realtek 8189 copy. Both worked fine via a powered USB hub. I did have concerns about the wifi link failng for no apparent reason. - sometimes as soon as a few hours and sometimes as long as ten days. I implemented the "fixes" that were to be found on the Internet but nothing I did fixed the problem. If web pages are any guide I'm far from the only person with this issue. Because I needed 24/7/365 reliability I retired the Pi from aprs gateway service.

          I may have had better reliability with Ethernet but I can't get a cable to where the Pi was located. I still think the Pi is a brilliant device but not in my application for it.

          BTW, I did initially uses VNC, activated via a ssh link from Putty but for convenience I moved to xrdp. However, 99% of my interaction with the Pi was via a console.

          Ray vk2tv
        • Brian
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 30, 2013
            --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "John" <n0meq@...> wrote:

            > Will the raspberry pi work with vnc on a wifi dongle or must the RPi be connected via either net cable? Also, anyone know of a good site to reference setting up port forwarding on apple router/time capsule for vnc? I am having difficulty setting it up. I can't get into the RPi from my IPad and I believe that's why....
            >
            > John
            > N0MEQ

            I've added VNC servers to the 'standard' image, plus web, FTP, and SSH servers, so they are there on boot up.

            You are welcome to a copy of the image, several on the group have used it.

            It was project for my school IT dept, so they could access the R Pi's via the Network using VNC from PCs and iPads.

            You will have to add the config for your 'dongle' but, if you use one those which are R Pi compatible, they drivers etc. are there and it is virtually self configuing.

            Drop me an Email and I will send you a Dropbox link for the file etc.
            It is set up for an 8G SD card.

            73
            Brian
            G8OSN/W8OSN
            www.g8osn.net
          • Mathison Ott
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 30, 2013

              I work from the command line, so if i need to launch a desktop ( mind you that startx took place at boot up)  type x11vnc -display :0  then i connect!  I wouldn't write a script to do this because why have it running if your not using it?

              73 kj6dzb Mathison

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 30, 2013
                http://www.xrdp.org/

                Just start remote desktop on you Windows box and login -- it gives you desktop on your Pi (with xrdp installed)

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 30, 2013
                  I have a nib TP-Link 821 that I would try if I could figure out where to
                  start.
                  Where/how should I go about looking for the software side of things?

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 30, 2013
                    Your dongle appears to function OOTB with the Pi so that's a good start.

                    http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeripherals#USB_Wi-Fi_Adapters

                    In my case, even though the 721 was recognised by the Pi and supposed to work OOTB, network-manager would not allow me to configure it so I installed wicd.

                    sudo apt-get install wicd wicd-curses .... apt will also mark dependencies for installation.

                    I removed network-manager

                    sudo apt-get remove network-manager network-manager-gnome

                    Call up wicd-curses to configure. If your 821 is "alive" your local wifi network (and others in range) should be listed. For a dynamic ip address you'll just need to provide ssid and password. It "should" be that easy.

                    wicd has a number of options such as "Refresh". That option is accessed with an upper case "R". The Config option appears to need -> but in reality it need the right arrow.

                    Ray vk2tv