Operational ? on TNC-Pi setup.

  • w7sae
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 26, 2013
      Just got the combination running but not sure if this is a problem or an operational error: If I do axcall 1 w7sae-5 I can connect to that station and send and receive text just fine. If I do axlisten -a and w7sae-5 connects to me I see his messages but don't know how to respond or is it is even possible under that condition. w7sae-5 shows it is connected but the TNC-Pi shows no connection message although it gets the text he sends. So is the answer if I want to talk with another packet station I need to initiate the connection and if he initiates the session I can only read his message text and not respond? Dick W7SAE
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 27, 2013
        Basically correct.

        axlisten is a monitoring package, not a way of receiving inbound connections. The kernal ax.25 software will accept a connection whether or not axlisten is running. But you need additonal software to allow that incoming connection to be presented to you so you can interact with it.

        73, John G8BPQ

        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 27, 2013
          John,
          Thank you for your response. That is about what I had concluded too. What is the additional software you mentioned and where can it be obtained?
          Dick W7SAE

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 27, 2013
            Dick,

            That is a good question. I'm not aware of any that works with the Kernel ax.25 (or I would have mentioned it!) Maybe others in the group know of something.

            My LinBPQ package provides a network stack and node that replaces the Linux Kernel software, and can route an incoming connect to a terminal window. There are instructions for installing it at https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/31910649/InstallingLINBPQ.htm , but this assumes some knowledge of the  BPQ32 system. The main documentation for BPQ32 is at www.g8bpq.org.uk. . Although slanted towards the Windows version, most features are the same in both versions.

            73, John

            _____

            href="mailto:Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO%40yahoogroups.com">Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com

            > Just got the combination running but not
            sure if this is a problem or an
            > operational error: If I do axcall 1
            w7sae-5 I can connect to that station
            > and send and receive text just
            fine. If I do axlisten -a and w7sae-5
            > connects to me I see his messages
            but don't know how to respond or is it is
            > even possible under that
            condition. w7sae-5 shows it is connected but the
            > TNC-Pi shows no
            connection message although it gets the text he sends. So is
            > the answer
            if I want to talk with another packet station I need to initiate
            > the
            connection and if he initiates the session I can only read his message

            text and not respond? Dick W7SAE

          • Bill Vodall
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 27, 2013
              On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 1:55 PM, John Wiseman <john.wiseman@...> wrote:

              > Dick,
              >
              > That is a good question. I'm not aware of any that works with the Kernel
              > ax.25 (or I would have mentioned it!) Maybe others in the group know of
              > something.

              axspawn, uronode, pms ...

              http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/AX25-HOWTO/x1839.html

              It's a somewhat generic system where specialized packet applications
              or even some linux programs can be tied to callsigns and ssid's..
              Very powerful when one get's it working...

              Bill
            • w7sae
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 27, 2013
                Thanks John, I may choose to just connect to the remote system at the present time, at least we know that works. Someone will put the other stack together one of these days that works with the existing Pi - TNC kernel.
                73

                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 28, 2013
                  John & Bill,
                  Thanks for your response and information...
                  Dick W7SAE