Making an SD Card Back Up

  • John Hansen
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 25, 2013
      I'm trying to make a backup of my Raspberry Pi SD card.  Following the instructions on line, I used Win32 disk imager to copy the Pi SD card to an image file on my PC.  However, it appears to only copy the 56 MB partition.  I thought it would do a bit by bit copy of the entire card.  I realize if I had another Linux box running, this would be pretty trivial, but is there a way to do a full back up with Windows?

      Thanks,

      John W2FS
    • oz1cbk
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 25, 2013
        You can only se a small partition in Windows.

        Ole - oz1cbk

        --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, John Hansen <coastalchip@...> wrote:

        > I'm trying to make a backup of my Raspberry Pi SD card. Following the
        > instructions on line, I used Win32 disk imager to copy the Pi SD card to an
        > image file on my PC. However, it appears to only copy the 56 MB
        > partition. I thought it would do a bit by bit copy of the entire card. I
        > realize if I had another Linux box running, this would be pretty trivial,
        > but is there a way to do a full back up with Windows?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > John W2FS

      • Max Harper
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 25, 2013
          That is the way I do it and I know it works because I use the backups all the time. I have no idea what would cause it to do that. I wish I could be of more help. What version of windows are you running? I'm using a Win7 netbook.

          Max

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 25, 2013
            Check the options. There is one that'll take care of your problem.
          • Bob Scanferla
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 25, 2013
              I do it all the time and get a full image the size of my SD card.

              When you first started up the Pi and went through the config did you tell it to use the full SD card?

              Been a while since I have done it so I don't exactly recall the option.

              I use win32diskimager for SD reading and writing.....no problems

              Bob