Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Ham program list?

  • qrv@kd4e.com
    Message 1 of 27 , Jun 24, 2013
      Dave,

      Since Hams use a variety of these small boards could you host
      a set of file storage areas vs Rasp-only?

      At the moment that may be Raspberry, BeagleBone-Black, and
      Arduino but undoubtedly there will be others (there are others but
      the names are coming to me just now).

      One-stop file-shopping for Hams would be real helpful versus
      having these things fragmented/scattered across dozens of hard to
      find sites.

      One of us could provide a back-up site (like edebris did for
      BAMA for Boatanchor Ham manuals) so if there were a problem with
      access to your primary site one could try the backup.

      Kerry's hosting arrangement sounds like a good backup if he
      were willing.

      WDYT?

      David KD4E

      --

      Thanks! & 73, KD4E.com

      David Colburn - Nevils, Georgia USA

      Search with: duckduckgo.com

    • Dave Cochran
      Message 2 of 27 , Jun 24, 2013

        That would be easy:). I will poke around this evening and hunt up a good file/repo management/package bundle.

        I should be able manage the backup mirror site as well... 12/2Mbit DSL and more than enough servers, heck I can even run it on a pi for fun :)

        Any other requests?

        Dave

        Message 3 of 27 , Jun 24, 2013
          Why not get them in the main repositories for each distribution?

          --

          Thanks! & 73, KD4E.com

          David Colburn - Nevils, Georgia USA

          Search with: duckduckgo.com

        • g1kqh
          Message 4 of 27 , Jun 24, 2013
            Thanks Lads for the input,

            It would be good if the stuff is put where we all know about it. Some Hams have asked me lots of Questions about the Pi, as they know I mess around with PCs etc, but I am a Windows man, "shame on you I hear you say"! But I do have a Pi too, and I would like to simply have a central source where all the Ham goodies are held in one place. It will save precious time searching!

            You could also let Amateurs know via sites like Southgate Amateur News too: http://www.southgatearc.org/news/your_news_1.htm

            They are always keen for a good News Bull.

            RSGB, ARRL and others who will also help get the message over too.

            Cheers for now

            73's Steve

            G1KQH
          • Kristoff Bonne
            Message 5 of 27 , Jun 24, 2013
              Hi All,

              This surely got a lot of replies.

              I'll try to reply to most of them in this one message.

              Well, the problem is not for myself as I do know how to to access my device. (actually, as I have the mac-address of all my pi's, I just connect with ipv6 using the link-local ip-address which is based on the mac-address).

              What I want to do is find a solution that is easy to use for somebody with not to much knowledge of unix or networking.

              The problem with fixed IP-addresses is that I don't know what subnet will be in use on the LAN-network of the user. Also, I also had the case where I installed a device on my network and surely by chance (or misfortune) it was configured with the same IP-address of my router. :-(

              So, the obvious other choice is DHCP, but then the question is how the user is going to know what address has been assigned to the device.
              And, a second annoyance is that there is no outside indication of the mac-address of the ethernet device of the pi.

              In the end, I had an idea simular to what Matthew proposed:
              the pi has a audio-port that is easily accessable, so why use that? With a relative simple bash-script and a tool like flite ("festival lite", a text-to-speech tool already present in the repeater setup -thelinkbox- anyway) why not speak out the IP-address on that audio-port at startup.

              I think, for images that do not a text-to-speech system, most people do probably know what network they are on (192.168.1.x, 10.10.10.x). It's just the last digit of the address of the pi they need to know.
              So why not write a small application that plays out the last digit of the ip-address on the audio-port in CW. (hey, we are ham's, aren't we :-) !!!)

              (This looks like a fun little project to do as a "my first python/C/... program". Who is interested in doing this? :-) )

              73
              kristoff - ON1ARF

              On 24-06-13 14:18, Kerry McKenzie wrote:

              Greetings
              is this really worth the effort as it only takes 2 minutes to make the
              IP on a PI fixed and it is problem solved?
              Kerry

              --
              Kind Regards
              Kerry McKenzie

              PO Box 4492
              Kirwan QLD 4817
              Australia

            • Kristoff Bonne
              Message 6 of 27 , Jun 24, 2013
                Hi Dave and everybody else.

                First of all, thanks to anybody who offered storage and/or bandwidth.

                My current idea is simply to use bittorrent.
                For my project, I just need to place the files on a debian server here at home (which is actually a pogoplug which I have reflashed to now runs debian: a complete small little unix-server for just 20 euro :-) )) and post the .torrent file on my blog or in the list.

                If you would then just set up a bittorrent server (or perhaps, you already have it installed on your NAS?) and download the .torrent and the share the file, this combines the advantages of two network topologies:

                - the files are spread out over multiple machines reducing the network load for every individual machine. If some of these machines are located on a highspeed connection in a datacenter, they will take the biggest chunk of network load.

                - It removed the "single point of failure" that is inherent to putting everything on one server

                - it is still possible for somebody to set up a "ham-radio application on the raspberry pi" website (collecting all .torrent files in one place)

                - this is a completely distributed system, so we are not dependant on any big commercial entity (yes, there is quite a bit of anarchism in my blood :-) )

                In short, bittorrent and peer-to-peer is more then just for copying music or movies. !

                Hmm. I currious, couldn't we use this inside the ham voip repeater-network like D-STAR? :-)

                73
                kristoff - ON1ARF

                --

                Thanks! & 73, KD4E.com

                David Colburn - Nevils, Georgia USA

                Search with: duckduckgo.com

              • Tim Kerber
                Message 7 of 27 , Jun 24, 2013
                  I am all for using BitTorrent. I have a dedicated computer for files of this type. I would be more than happy to help share these files in this way.

                  ​Tim
                  WJ4P

                  Sent from my iPhone

                  --

                  Thanks! & 73, KD4E.com

                  David Colburn - Nevils, Georgia USA

                  Search with: duckduckgo.com

                • Kerry McKenzie
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jun 25, 2013
                    Ok I,m in let me know what i need to setup to make this happen?
                    Kerry

                    --
                    Kind Regards
                    Kerry McKenzie

                    PO Box 4492
                    Kirwan QLD 4817
                    Australia
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jun 25, 2013
                      my 1st thought is if they are running headless, they probably won't have a speaker plugged in either...

                      -Jim- N1JMM, KB1YPL_B

                      On 6/24/13 2:02 PM, Kristoff Bonne wrote:

> [...]
                      >> > particular instance, that application is set to a fixed IP address and
                      >> > won't change, whereas most other uses of the Pi will be using a
                      >> > dynamic IP address. It may be possible to write a script that
                      >> > announces the IP address either via a connected radio
                      >> > (IRLP/Echolink/EchoIRLP/D-Star) or a connected speaker using the
                      >> > internal audio output for the purpose.
                      >> >
                      >> > As far as Ham Radio Applications for the Pi, these are generally
                      >> > available either in the Official Raspian software repositories, or in
                      >> > a developer's specific repositories, for pretty much the reason that
                      >> > Kristoff mentioned; a preloaded SD Card with every Ham application
                      >> > that has been compiled for the Pi would be quite large and likely take
                      >> > up a significant amount of room on an SD Card that would have to be
                      >> > reclaimed if someone didn't need all of them at once.

                    • Kristoff Bonne
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jun 30, 2013
                        Hi Jim,

                        (late reply, busy weeks :-) )

                        Well, the idea was to only use this during installation. Instead of having to say "use the webinterface of your router to find out the address of your device", you can just say "connect a small speaker or a headphone to the audio-out of the pi".

                        However, I have been doing some small experiment today on my LAN using the "zeroconf" protocol (multicast DNS, AKA "bonjour" in apple speak).
                        If I set up avahi on the pi, in theory, you should then be able to connect to the device using a simple "ssh pi@..." and the rest should go by itself.
                        This works on linux and macosX.

                        I do not have any window at home, so I don't know what kind of versions of windows would also support this.

                        Who knows this?

                        73
                        kristoff - ON1ARF

                        Message 11 of 27 , Jun 30, 2013
                          what happens if you have more than 1 pi online?

                          wouldn't it be nice if we could simply put a configuration file in the /boot partition, sometihng
                          like this:
                          /boot/eth0_conf
                          ip=192.168.3.14

                          The file could be edited when the sdcard is first written, since this is a fat32 partition it could
                          be done on windows also.

                          would just need a standard set of filenames & parameters.
                          perhaps one config file with many parameters, just un-comment the appropriate lines and set the values

                          however I think it would be much easier for most if the images just had apache installed and
                          online-config much like logging into a router, however with the CLI purest I doubt that will ever
                          happen.

                          -Jim- N1JMM, KB1YPL_B Visit my Pi running ircddb, dvrptr, Apache & many other things:
                          http://n1jmm.no-ip.org On 6/30/13 3:49 PM, Kristoff Bonne wrote:

                          > Hi Jim,
                          >

                          > (late reply, busy weeks :-) )
                          >

                          > Well, the idea was to only use this during installation. Instead of having to say "use the
                          > webinterface of your router to find out the address of your device", you can just say "connect a
                          > small speaker or a headphone to the audio-out of the pi".
                          >

                          > However, I have been doing some small experiment today on my LAN using the "zeroconf" protocol
                          > (multicast DNS, AKA "bonjour" in apple speak).
                          > If I set up avahi on the pi, in theory, you should then be able to connect to the device using a
                          > simple "ssh pi@..." and the rest should go by itself.
                          > This works on linux and macosX.
                          >

                          > I do not have any window at home, so I don't know what kind of versions of windows would also
                          > support this.
                          >
                          > Who knows this?
                          >

                          > 73
                          > kristoff - ON1ARF

                        • Kristoff Bonne
                          Message 12 of 27 , Jun 30, 2013
                            Hi Jim,

                            On 01-07-13 00:13, Jim Thisdale wrote:

                            what happens if you have more than 1 pi online?

                            mdns works -by default- on the hostname.  Perhaps just to use a different name per RPi-image; e.g. call the image for "thelinkbox" tlb; which is different from the default name of a new rpi: called "raspberry pi".

                            I haven't tried yet what happens if have two hosts with the same name advertising themselfs via mdns on your lan.

                            Note, for most people (unless you have a subnet with public IP-addresseson your LAN) it does not make sence to have multiple servers running thelinkbox on your network as you need portforwarding on your router (for the echolink to work). And you can only have one single device behind a portforwarded port.

                            (that could of course change once / if echolink gets ipv6 support :-) ).

                            But, as said, the goal is just to discover your device after the initial flashing of the image on the SDcard.

                            My idea is that a user should go over these steps to install a new image:

                            - download an image from the net
                            - write the image to an SD card
                            - boot a rpi with that SDcard
                            - find that pi on your network
                            - log in via ssh
                            - reconfigure some files: change password, change tlb configuration, set up fixed ip-address, perhaps change hostname, ...
                            - reboot
                            - have a running application.

                            This means that we needs some scripts for the boot process:

                            - check configuration of the device: has the password been change from the standard password, is it configured for fixed ip-address, is the configuration of "tlb.conf" more-or-less correct, ...

                            * if not, write some message to a text-file in /home/pi
                            - boot the device with a certain indication (one of the LEDs on the pi blinking?)
                            - announce the IP-address on the audio-port
                            - start up avahi (mdns server)

                            * If all condition *do* are met; the device should start up tlb with the application running.

                            In theory, there is no reason anymore to run avahi or announce the address on the audio-port as the user has configured the device with a fixed ip-address anyway; so he/she should know the address.

                            wouldn't it be nice if we could simply put a configuration file in the /boot partition, sometihng
                            like this:
                            /boot/eth0_conf
                            ip=192.168.3.14

                            That's indeed another option.

                            There was already an discussion on this in one of the lists: develop a minimal but "generic" framework for ham-related RPi images for this kind of pre-configurion tools.

                            However, a friend of mine did say he had some experience with this kind of setup and had a lot of issues with people that modified the configuration-files with some windows text-editor, or even word; which resulted in all kind of strange characters in the configuration.
                            Not good! :-(

                            I haven't had time to realy work on this. It would be a nice thing to have.

                            On the other hand, it's probably not a bad idea to let the people do *something* in linux too (even if it just described in a step-by-step text); to give them some feeling what they are working on.
                            It's also interesting that people must modify the configuration-files of the application themselfs so they get an idea what is in there (and therefor what the application is capable).

                            however I think it would be much easier for most if the images just had apache installed and
                            online-config much like logging into a router, however with the CLI purest I doubt that will ever
                            happen.

                            The issue here is the same: how does the user know what ip-address he needs to surf too.

                            This does not solve the "discover the ipaddress of the new pi" problem! :-(

                            Message 13 of 27 , Jul 1, 2013
                              Hi Kristoff

                              I like the idea of the voice announcementand I see some replies/ideas how to do it...

                              If this was incorporated in the OS images then it could be useful, however if we have to get the Pi
                              up and running first to load these packages and set it up then we would already know the IP of the
                              Pi and could easily get the MAC... Of course some of this problem could be prevented if they would
                              just provide the MAC address on/with the Pi, then we could preset the router to issue a specific
                              address we want.

                              For me it hasn't been a problem, I just check my router to see what new devices have tried to
                              connect, then add that mac to the DHCP Reservation table with the IP I want. Then I update my
                              MAC-Host table file so I have the info in the future.

                              -Jim- N1JMM, KB1YPL_B