W0EB (and/or others) de W8LM -----FLDIGI simple question from a simple mind..

  • W8LM
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 24, 2013
      Jim,

      I would contact you directly but If I have the question, I'm sure others would as well. I've only had my ras-PI for 2-3 months.

      I'd like to play with FLDIGI and use it at the Kansas Veterans Reunion July 15, at El Dorado Lake State Park, KANSAS. The W0VFW- VFW post 3115 radio club will have a demo there for all the vets to see..

      Anyhow-

      EXACTLY how do you get FLDIGI downloaded to the SD card. It seems the internet depositories of FLDIGI want to download the windows version, I specifically ask for Linux version and click-click:

      NOT FOUND
      the requested URL /download/fldigi-3.20.17.bin.tgz was not found on this server.

      So I decided rather than waste unknown hours experimenting. Perhaps a writeup for me and all the newbies would be appreciated. I know you consider me a newbie since I only have 47 years of ham radio under my belt.

      How do you go from grabbing it on the internet to opening the FLDIGI welcome screen on the ras-PI..I am using weezy.. From there I can tweek and blow it up till I get it right.

      Seems others are interested in varous ready to play ham programs.

      73
      Larry W8LM
    • Matthew Pitts
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 24, 2013

        This one is easy; on the Raspberry Pi, open LXTerminal and type the following minus the quotation marks: "sudo apt-get install fldigi".

        Matthew Pitts
        N8OHU

        Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 24, 2013
          Larry,

          On 24 June 2013 16:30, W8LM <am_fm_radio@...> wrote:
          Jim,

          I would contact you directly but If I have the question, I'm sure others would as well. I've only had my ras-PI for 2-3 months.

          I'd like to play with FLDIGI and use it at the Kansas Veterans Reunion July 15, at El Dorado Lake State Park, KANSAS. The W0VFW- VFW post 3115 radio club will have a demo there for all the vets to see..

          If you're running the raspbian (effectively Debian):
          pi@sma ~ $ apt-cache show fldigi
          Package: fldigi
          Version: 3.21.48-1
          Architecture: armhf
          Maintainer: Debian Hamradio Maintainers <debian-hams@...>

          So 3.21 is already in the Debian repositories. Simply do:
          sudo apt-get install fldigi

          "What part of 'ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn' don't you understand?"
        • Aaron Melton
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 24, 2013
            Larry,

            If you are using Wheezy, you can easily install FLDIGI from the terminal window by typing:

            apt-get install fldigi

            You'll have to confirm the installation and the binary (and any dependencies) will be downloaded, installed and afterward it should appear on your "start menu."

            Aaron
            de KK4LOV

[...]

          • Am Fm
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 24, 2013
              Thank you...I forgot to use the command install in apt-get... I spend way too much time windows for my comany and have to break all those bad habits.

              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 24, 2013

                Does anyone have instructions on how to create a script, to create a com port for XASTIR  on startup. When using i2c to link to a TNC-Pi.

                Probably something here but cannot see it for lookng

                Steve Daniels

                Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

              • Paul M
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 26, 2013
                  Try this:

                  Disclaimers: I have entered into no agreements regarding mails erroneously sent to this address, and reserve the right to do as I wish with any such emails.