Ham program list?

  • g1kqh
    Message 1 of 27 , Jun 23, 2013
      Help!

      Has anyone compiled a list of Amateur software, that will, or won't, run on the Pi yet, and under which or what Linux versions??

      Ideally, I and other Amateurs, would like to just put the SD card in with the operating system on and all of the known Ham programs alongside too, saves a lot of time and messing!

      Surely there must be someone in the same boat?

      73 Steve

      G1KQH
    • chas cartmel
      Message 2 of 27 , Jun 23, 2013

        Steve

        Have a look at this site: http://www.raspberryconnect.com/raspbian-packages-list/item/71-raspbian-hamradio

        A bit overwhelming, can’t get all on one SD card I think...

        73

        Charlie

        www.G4EST.me.uk

        Message 3 of 27 , Jun 23, 2013
          I have been tinkering with both Raspian and Arch Linux and evaluating if
          I could turn either into an acceptable Ham Radio desktop for use in
          field operations. I'd be willing to contribute what I've learned so far
          to a Wiki, if one exists and someone could point me in the right
          direction...

          Aaron
          de KK4LOV

          On 6/23/13 6:50 AM, g1kqh wrote:

          > Help!
          >
          > Has anyone compiled a list of Amateur software, that will, or won't, run
          > on the Pi yet, and under which or what Linux versions??
          >
          > Ideally, I and other Amateurs, would like to just put the SD card in
          > with the operating system on and all of the known Ham programs alongside
          > too, saves a lot of time and messing!
          >
          > Surely there must be someone in the same boat?
          >
          > 73 Steve
          >
          > G1KQH
        • outdoorliving365
          Message 4 of 27 , Jun 23, 2013
            I have been tinkering with both Raspian and Arch Linux in evaluating if I could turn either into an acceptable Ham Radio desktop for use in
            field operations, etc. I'd be willing to contribute what I've learned so far to a Wiki, if one exists and someone could point me in the right direction...

            Where my 'research' stands now is I've written a few bash scripts that automate the process of building the desktop from a basic image with different ham radio applications -- but I would consider this a work in progress; Not yet something ready to turn into an image to distribute to other users who aren't yet comfortable with Linux on the desktop.

            Aaron
            de KK4LOV

            --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "g1kqh" <g1kqh@...> wrote:

            > Help!
            >
            > Has anyone compiled a list of Amateur software, that will, or won't, run on the Pi yet, and under which or what Linux versions??
            >
            > Ideally, I and other Amateurs, would like to just put the SD card in with the operating system on and all of the known Ham programs alongside too, saves a lot of time and messing!
            >
            > Surely there must be someone in the same boat?
            >

            > 73 Steve
            >
            > G1KQH

          • Kristoff Bonne
            Message 5 of 27 , Jun 23, 2013
              Hi Steve,

              Well, today I have been working on a SD flashcard for tlb ("thelinkbox", echolink software) for the pi; this due to all kind of audio issues that popped up when distributing the application as source.
              So I ended up with a very specifica version of the software for this particular applitcation.

              In my opinion, you have to conciders boards like the pi, beaglebone, what-else-have-you not as a "computer", but as a "appliance". This means that you just design a project and put a dedicated pi/BBB in it, with a flashcard specially designed for this one particular project.

              So, yes, I agree, distributing ham software for the pi can be done easier and distributing soft as a "sdcard image" does make sence; but not as "one flash-card that does it all".

              BTW. What would be nice to see is a place where people who create these images can distribute them. I've been playing around for a couple of days to use my NAS as a bittorrent server and place the file on it. But, in the end, this is not a good sollution.
              What would be nice if there is somebody with a couple of hunderd GB of disk-storage in some dataserver room which can act distribution center for SDcard images.

              BTW2.
              What I still have not found is an easy way to have a raspiberry pi announce its own IP-address to a user. As most "appliance" do not have a screen attached or run from a relative small image (one that does not have a X server), the user must "ssh" to the device to do some basic configuration.
              I am looking for a better way to allow people to find their device on the local LAN then "now look at the webpage of your home-network router and find the ip-address of the device you have just booted".
              Perhaps something using MDNS (multicast DNS) or something like that?

              Who has a good idea how to do this?

              73
              kristoff - ON1ARF

              On 23-06-13 12:50, g1kqh wrote:

              Help!

              Has anyone compiled a list of Amateur software, that will, or won't, run on the Pi yet, and under which or what Linux versions??

              Ideally, I and other Amateurs, would like to just put the SD card in with the operating system on and all of the known Ham programs alongside too, saves a lot of time and messing!

              Surely there must be someone in the same boat?

              73 Steve

              G1KQH

            • Matthew Pitts
              Message 6 of 27 , Jun 23, 2013
                Kristoff,

                I know that the IRLP software (for all supported platforms) can "speak" the IP address that the Pi is connected to, but in this particular instance, that application is set to a fixed IP address and won't change, whereas most other uses of the Pi will be using a dynamic IP address. It may be possible to write a script that announces the IP address either via a connected radio (IRLP/Echolink/EchoIRLP/D-Star) or a connected speaker using the internal audio output for the purpose.

                As far as Ham Radio Applications for the Pi, these are generally available either in the Official Raspian software repositories, or in a developer's specific repositories, for pretty much the reason that Kristoff mentioned; a preloaded SD Card with every Ham application that has been compiled for the Pi would be quite large and likely take up a significant amount of room on an SD Card that would have to be reclaimed if someone didn't need all of them at once.

                Matthew Pitts
                N8OHU

                Message 7 of 27 , Jun 23, 2013
                  If you have a windows system on the net run IPSCAN. Google for download  & trust issues.

                  --
                  John Ferrell W8CCW
                  "The pessimist complains about the wind;

                    Message 9 of 27 , Jun 23, 2013
                      I can think of several different ways of doing it.

                      The way I chose was to capture the MAC address of the network card of my
                      Raspberry Pi and manually bind it to a static IP Address. While my
                      router continues to serve up DHCP addresses to all network devices, some
                      devices have reserved IPs based on their MAC address.

                      Most routers have a way to accomplish this. You only configure it once
                      and moving forward your Raspberry Pi will always have the same IP
                      Address despite what operating system you may be using at the moment.

                      And if all that sounded Greek to you, I can help walk you through it
                      off-list.

                      Aaron
                      de KK4LOV

                      On 6/23/13 7:23 PM, Kristoff Bonne wrote:
                      > BTW2.
                      > What I still have not found is an easy way to have a raspiberry pi
                      > announce its own IP-address to a user. As most "appliance" do not have a
                      > screen attached or run from a relative small image (one that does not
                      > have a X server), the user must "ssh" to the device to do some basic
                      > configuration.
                      > I am looking for a better way to allow people to find their device on
                      > the local LAN then "now look at the webpage of your home-network router
                      > and find the ip-address of the device you have just booted".
                      > Perhaps something using MDNS (multicast DNS) or something like that?
                      >

                      > Who has a good idea how to do this?
                    • pmooney22
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jun 24, 2013
                        I still look upon the RPi as its makers/designers intended, as an educational tool, the rest is a bonus - e.g. using a RPi port to transmit wspr.

                        Regarding IP addresses, there's a security tool named nmap which scans networks, you can use it to locate IP addresses on your own network - runs on Linux, Windows & Mac and also has a graphic interface in the package (zenmap).

                        Alternatively set up your network using static IP or set your router to automatically allocate a specific IP address to a specific device.
                      • Kerry McKenzie
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jun 24, 2013
                          Guys
                          without being disrespectfully to others,.. I did mention this several
                          months ago, and it went right over most peoples heads and was one of the
                          reasons for the pi cloud server that i have not been successful in
                          getting to work..

                          So I will mention this again as i have approx 2tb spare on one of my
                          servers which i am happy to make available for the PI image files. I
                          have 200gig per month on my adsl connection
                          and while the bandwidth is limited approx 256k would work for the small
                          number of people on this list who would wish to use it.
                          This is only a temporary measure and would not work for the long term
                          (bandwidth) but would at least get something going for the moment unless
                          someone else has a better idea?

                          Kerry

                          --
                          Kind Regards
                          Kerry McKenzie

                          PO Box 4492
                          Kirwan QLD 4817
                          Australia
                        • Kerry McKenzie
                          Message 12 of 27 , Jun 24, 2013
                            Greetings
                            is this really worth the effort as it only takes 2 minutes to make the
                            IP on a PI fixed and it is problem solved?
                            Kerry

                            --
                            Kind Regards
                            Kerry McKenzie

                            PO Box 4492
                            Kirwan QLD 4817
                            Australia
                          • Dave Cochran
                            Message 13 of 27 , Jun 24, 2013

                              I have been kicking this idea ariund for a while but didnt know if it would be used.  I have basically unlimited disk space on one of my many hosted accounts..  unlimited bandwidth as well...   I'd be willing to host a wiki, forum, image repository, whatever is needed.

                              Dave - N0TRQ

                              --
                              Kind Regards
                              Kerry McKenzie

                              PO Box 4492
                              Kirwan QLD 4817
                              Australia

                              <*> Your email settings:
                                  Individual Email | Traditional

                              <*> To change settings online go to:
                                  (Yahoo! ID required)

                              <*> To change settings via email:
                                  Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO-digest@yahoogroups.com
                                  Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                            • K2DMS
                              Message 14 of 27 , Jun 24, 2013
                                You could use static DHCP leases in your router foor this.

                                This sees to it that the same IP is always assigned to the unique MAC address of your Pi. If you have more than one Pi then they could each have their own preassigned IP based on the individual MAC addresses of each and then it wouldn't matter what OS you put on it either. Just leave DHCP active as by default.

                              • qrv@kd4e.com
                                Message 15 of 27 , Jun 24, 2013
                                  Dave,

                                  Since Hams use a variety of these small boards could you host
                                  a set of file storage areas vs Rasp-only?

                                  At the moment that may be Raspberry, BeagleBone-Black, and
                                  Arduino but undoubtedly there will be others (there are others but
                                  the names are coming to me just now).

                                  One-stop file-shopping for Hams would be real helpful versus
                                  having these things fragmented/scattered across dozens of hard to
                                  find sites.

                                  One of us could provide a back-up site (like edebris did for
                                  BAMA for Boatanchor Ham manuals) so if there were a problem with
                                  access to your primary site one could try the backup.

                                  Kerry's hosting arrangement sounds like a good backup if he
                                  were willing.

                                  WDYT?

                                  David KD4E

                                  --

                                  Thanks! & 73, KD4E.com

                                  David Colburn - Nevils, Georgia USA

                                  Search with: duckduckgo.com

                                • Dave Cochran
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Jun 24, 2013

                                    That would be easy:). I will poke around this evening and hunt up a good file/repo management/package bundle.

                                    I should be able manage the backup mirror site as well... 12/2Mbit DSL and more than enough servers, heck I can even run it on a pi for fun :)

                                    Any other requests?

                                    Dave

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Jun 24, 2013
                                      Why not get them in the main repositories for each distribution?

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Jun 24, 2013
                                        Thanks Lads for the input,

                                        It would be good if the stuff is put where we all know about it. Some Hams have asked me lots of Questions about the Pi, as they know I mess around with PCs etc, but I am a Windows man, "shame on you I hear you say"! But I do have a Pi too, and I would like to simply have a central source where all the Ham goodies are held in one place. It will save precious time searching!

                                        You could also let Amateurs know via sites like Southgate Amateur News too: http://www.southgatearc.org/news/your_news_1.htm

                                        They are always keen for a good News Bull.

                                        RSGB, ARRL and others who will also help get the message over too.

                                        Cheers for now

                                        73's Steve

                                        G1KQH
                                      • Kristoff Bonne
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Jun 24, 2013
                                          Hi All,

                                          This surely got a lot of replies.

                                          I'll try to reply to most of them in this one message.

                                          Well, the problem is not for myself as I do know how to to access my device. (actually, as I have the mac-address of all my pi's, I just connect with ipv6 using the link-local ip-address which is based on the mac-address).

                                          What I want to do is find a solution that is easy to use for somebody with not to much knowledge of unix or networking.

                                          The problem with fixed IP-addresses is that I don't know what subnet will be in use on the LAN-network of the user. Also, I also had the case where I installed a device on my network and surely by chance (or misfortune) it was configured with the same IP-address of my router. :-(

                                          So, the obvious other choice is DHCP, but then the question is how the user is going to know what address has been assigned to the device.
                                          And, a second annoyance is that there is no outside indication of the mac-address of the ethernet device of the pi.

                                          In the end, I had an idea simular to what Matthew proposed:
                                          the pi has a audio-port that is easily accessable, so why use that? With a relative simple bash-script and a tool like flite ("festival lite", a text-to-speech tool already present in the repeater setup -thelinkbox- anyway) why not speak out the IP-address on that audio-port at startup.

                                          I think, for images that do not a text-to-speech system, most people do probably know what network they are on (192.168.1.x, 10.10.10.x). It's just the last digit of the address of the pi they need to know.
                                          So why not write a small application that plays out the last digit of the ip-address on the audio-port in CW. (hey, we are ham's, aren't we :-) !!!)

                                          (This looks like a fun little project to do as a "my first python/C/... program". Who is interested in doing this? :-) )

                                          73
                                          kristoff - ON1ARF

                                          --
                                          Kind Regards
                                          Kerry McKenzie

                                          PO Box 4492
                                          Kirwan QLD 4817
                                          Australia

                                        • Kristoff Bonne
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Jun 24, 2013
                                            Hi Dave and everybody else.

                                            First of all, thanks to anybody who offered storage and/or bandwidth.

                                            My current idea is simply to use bittorrent.
                                            For my project, I just need to place the files on a debian server here at home (which is actually a pogoplug which I have reflashed to now runs debian: a complete small little unix-server for just 20 euro :-) )) and post the .torrent file on my blog or in the list.

                                            If you would then just set up a bittorrent server (or perhaps, you already have it installed on your NAS?) and download the .torrent and the share the file, this combines the advantages of two network topologies:

                                            - the files are spread out over multiple machines reducing the network load for every individual machine. If some of these machines are located on a highspeed connection in a datacenter, they will take the biggest chunk of network load.

                                            - It removed the "single point of failure" that is inherent to putting everything on one server

                                            - it is still possible for somebody to set up a "ham-radio application on the raspberry pi" website (collecting all .torrent files in one place)

                                            - this is a completely distributed system, so we are not dependant on any big commercial entity (yes, there is quite a bit of anarchism in my blood :-) )

                                            In short, bittorrent and peer-to-peer is more then just for copying music or movies. !

                                            Hmm. I currious, couldn't we use this inside the ham voip repeater-network like D-STAR? :-)

                                            73
                                            kristoff - ON1ARF

                                            --

                                            Thanks! & 73, KD4E.com

                                            David Colburn - Nevils, Georgia USA

                                            Search with: duckduckgo.com

                                          • Tim Kerber
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Jun 24, 2013
                                              I am all for using BitTorrent. I have a dedicated computer for files of this type. I would be more than happy to help share these files in this way.

                                              ​Tim
                                              WJ4P

                                              Sent from my iPhone

                                              Message 22 of 27 , Jun 25, 2013
                                                Ok I,m in let me know what i need to setup to make this happen?
                                                Kerry

                                                --
                                                Kind Regards
                                                Kerry McKenzie

                                                PO Box 4492
                                                Kirwan QLD 4817
                                                Australia
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Jun 25, 2013
                                                  my 1st thought is if they are running headless, they probably won't have a speaker plugged in either...

                                                  -Jim- N1JMM, KB1YPL_B

                                                  On 6/24/13 2:02 PM, Kristoff Bonne wrote:

> [...]
                                                  >> > particular instance, that application is set to a fixed IP address and
                                                  >> > won't change, whereas most other uses of the Pi will be using a
                                                  >> > dynamic IP address. It may be possible to write a script that
                                                  >> > announces the IP address either via a connected radio
                                                  >> > (IRLP/Echolink/EchoIRLP/D-Star) or a connected speaker using the
                                                  >> > internal audio output for the purpose.
                                                  >> >
                                                  >> > As far as Ham Radio Applications for the Pi, these are generally
                                                  >> > available either in the Official Raspian software repositories, or in
                                                  >> > a developer's specific repositories, for pretty much the reason that
                                                  >> > Kristoff mentioned; a preloaded SD Card with every Ham application
                                                  >> > that has been compiled for the Pi would be quite large and likely take
                                                  >> > up a significant amount of room on an SD Card that would have to be
                                                  >> > reclaimed if someone didn't need all of them at once.

                                                • Kristoff Bonne
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Jun 30, 2013
                                                    Hi Jim,

                                                    (late reply, busy weeks :-) )

                                                    Well, the idea was to only use this during installation. Instead of having to say "use the webinterface of your router to find out the address of your device", you can just say "connect a small speaker or a headphone to the audio-out of the pi".

                                                    However, I have been doing some small experiment today on my LAN using the "zeroconf" protocol (multicast DNS, AKA "bonjour" in apple speak).
                                                    If I set up avahi on the pi, in theory, you should then be able to connect to the device using a simple "ssh pi@..." and the rest should go by itself.
                                                    This works on linux and macosX.

                                                    I do not have any window at home, so I don't know what kind of versions of windows would also support this.

                                                    Who knows this?

                                                    73
                                                    kristoff - ON1ARF

                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Jun 30, 2013
                                                      what happens if you have more than 1 pi online?

                                                      wouldn't it be nice if we could simply put a configuration file in the /boot partition, sometihng
                                                      like this:
                                                      /boot/eth0_conf
                                                      ip=192.168.3.14

                                                      The file could be edited when the sdcard is first written, since this is a fat32 partition it could
                                                      be done on windows also.

                                                      would just need a standard set of filenames & parameters.
                                                      perhaps one config file with many parameters, just un-comment the appropriate lines and set the values

                                                      however I think it would be much easier for most if the images just had apache installed and
                                                      online-config much like logging into a router, however with the CLI purest I doubt that will ever
                                                      happen.

                                                      -Jim- N1JMM, KB1YPL_B Visit my Pi running ircddb, dvrptr, Apache & many other things:
                                                      http://n1jmm.no-ip.org On 6/30/13 3:49 PM, Kristoff Bonne wrote:

                                                      > Hi Jim,
                                                      >

                                                      > (late reply, busy weeks :-) )
                                                      >

                                                      > Well, the idea was to only use this during installation. Instead of having to say "use the
                                                      > webinterface of your router to find out the address of your device", you can just say "connect a
                                                      > small speaker or a headphone to the audio-out of the pi".
                                                      >

                                                      > However, I have been doing some small experiment today on my LAN using the "zeroconf" protocol
                                                      > (multicast DNS, AKA "bonjour" in apple speak).
                                                      > If I set up avahi on the pi, in theory, you should then be able to connect to the device using a
                                                      > simple "ssh pi@..." and the rest should go by itself.
                                                      > This works on linux and macosX.
                                                      >

                                                      > I do not have any window at home, so I don't know what kind of versions of windows would also
                                                      > support this.
                                                      >
                                                      > Who knows this?
                                                      >

                                                      > 73
                                                      > kristoff - ON1ARF

                                                    • Kristoff Bonne
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Jun 30, 2013
                                                        Hi Jim,

                                                        On 01-07-13 00:13, Jim Thisdale wrote:

                                                        what happens if you have more than 1 pi online?

                                                        mdns works -by default- on the hostname.  Perhaps just to use a different name per RPi-image; e.g. call the image for "thelinkbox" tlb; which is different from the default name of a new rpi: called "raspberry pi".

                                                        I haven't tried yet what happens if have two hosts with the same name advertising themselfs via mdns on your lan.

                                                        Note, for most people (unless you have a subnet with public IP-addresseson your LAN) it does not make sence to have multiple servers running thelinkbox on your network as you need portforwarding on your router (for the echolink to work). And you can only have one single device behind a portforwarded port.

                                                        (that could of course change once / if echolink gets ipv6 support :-) ).

                                                        But, as said, the goal is just to discover your device after the initial flashing of the image on the SDcard.

                                                        My idea is that a user should go over these steps to install a new image:

                                                        - download an image from the net
                                                        - write the image to an SD card
                                                        - boot a rpi with that SDcard
                                                        - find that pi on your network
                                                        - log in via ssh
                                                        - reconfigure some files: change password, change tlb configuration, set up fixed ip-address, perhaps change hostname, ...
                                                        - reboot
                                                        - have a running application.

                                                        This means that we needs some scripts for the boot process:

                                                        - check configuration of the device: has the password been change from the standard password, is it configured for fixed ip-address, is the configuration of "tlb.conf" more-or-less correct, ...

                                                        * if not, write some message to a text-file in /home/pi
                                                        - boot the device with a certain indication (one of the LEDs on the pi blinking?)
                                                        - announce the IP-address on the audio-port
                                                        - start up avahi (mdns server)

                                                        * If all condition *do* are met; the device should start up tlb with the application running.

                                                        In theory, there is no reason anymore to run avahi or announce the address on the audio-port as the user has configured the device with a fixed ip-address anyway; so he/she should know the address.

                                                        wouldn't it be nice if we could simply put a configuration file in the /boot partition, sometihng
                                                        like this:
                                                        /boot/eth0_conf
                                                        ip=192.168.3.14

                                                        That's indeed another option.

                                                        There was already an discussion on this in one of the lists: develop a minimal but "generic" framework for ham-related RPi images for this kind of pre-configurion tools.

                                                        However, a friend of mine did say he had some experience with this kind of setup and had a lot of issues with people that modified the configuration-files with some windows text-editor, or even word; which resulted in all kind of strange characters in the configuration.
                                                        Not good! :-(

                                                        I haven't had time to realy work on this. It would be a nice thing to have.

                                                        On the other hand, it's probably not a bad idea to let the people do *something* in linux too (even if it just described in a step-by-step text); to give them some feeling what they are working on.
                                                        It's also interesting that people must modify the configuration-files of the application themselfs so they get an idea what is in there (and therefor what the application is capable).

                                                        however I think it would be much easier for most if the images just had apache installed and
                                                        online-config much like logging into a router, however with the CLI purest I doubt that will ever
                                                        happen.

                                                        The issue here is the same: how does the user know what ip-address he needs to surf too.

                                                        This does not solve the "discover the ipaddress of the new pi" problem! :-(

                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Jul 1, 2013
                                                          Hi Kristoff

                                                          I like the idea of the voice announcementand I see some replies/ideas how to do it...

                                                          If this was incorporated in the OS images then it could be useful, however if we have to get the Pi
                                                          up and running first to load these packages and set it up then we would already know the IP of the
                                                          Pi and could easily get the MAC... Of course some of this problem could be prevented if they would
                                                          just provide the MAC address on/with the Pi, then we could preset the router to issue a specific
                                                          address we want.

                                                          For me it hasn't been a problem, I just check my router to see what new devices have tried to
                                                          connect, then add that mac to the DHCP Reservation table with the IP I want. Then I update my
                                                          MAC-Host table file so I have the info in the future.

                                                          -Jim- N1JMM, KB1YPL_B