Re: Ack! Bricked my Pi (I think)

  • wa5bdu
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 19, 2013
      Yeah, I'm taking some action on the power thing. I measured 4.69V after the polyfuse (4.79V ahead of it). So I'm about 0.06 below the recommended minimum. Normally that wouldn't trouble me with a 5V device, but much I've read says that the Pi doesn't like its voltage on the low end of the scale.

      I ordered a 1000 mA wart from Adafruit. Her / their specs say they shoot for 5.25 VDC because that's within specs for typical 5 V devices and you usually lose a couple tenths in wiring or the supply itself sagging under load. Makes sense to me. I'll wait until I get that new P/S and then try my old SD card again.

      Meanwhile I have the *new* SD card working. I'm seeing a bit of what a disaster it is to lose your memory card, so I'm going to start pulling mine and copying the image to a PC / laptop periodically. Imagine what a mess it would have been if I'd been fine-tuning my system and adding apps and libraries for months or years instead of just weeks.

      It makes you pause a bit on card size though. I assume the image written is a copy of every bit on the card, whether the memory is actually used or not. So it takes a fair bit of HDD space to back up a 16GB memory card.

      I *thought* I'd bought another 5 V wall wart supply at HamCom in Plano, but when I tried it I found that it had a *mini* USB connector, not a *micro*. Doh!

      73-

      Nick, WA5BDU

      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 20, 2013
        Note: you can plug the card into another linux machine, run gparted to shrink the ext4 partition to
        slightly bigger than the minimum amount of space, then use DD tomake an image from block 0 to the
        last used block, note you will have to TELL dd how many blocks to copy. After the copy, simply
        expand the partition again. This might not save any time, just disk space on your backup drive.

        Note: You can compress the backup image some if you shrank the partition first, or very
        substantially if didn't and you had a lot of free-space on the card.

        -Jim- N1JMM, KB1YPL_B