Re: minicom and the TNC-Pi

  • rosswebmail
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 18, 2013
      Yeah, I figured I could get it into command mode like I do with my TS-2000's built-in TNC. But now with my radio connected I am able to get the data via minicom and now I'm off and running with my program!

      Thanks, John.

      Ross NN5RR

      --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "John Wiseman" <john.wiseman@...> wrote:

      > Ross,
      >
      > The setup sounds ok. The TNC operates in KISS mode, so you cant interact
      > with it from a program like minicom, but you should see the data content of
      > any packets you receive - the headers will be unprintable characters.
      >
      > 73, John G8BPQ
      >
      > _____
    • Clayton Brantley
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 18, 2013
        Try 115200 baud.  That is the ONLY one that will work with the PiTNC-X.

        Clayton

        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 18, 2013
          Are you sure about that? The documentation states that 19200 is the only data rate supported by the TNCPi

          73,
          -jav k4jh

          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 18, 2013
            Sorry, Clayton. Not correct. The TNC-PI only works at 19200.

            73, John G8BPQ

            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 18, 2013
              Just a follow-up for those interested...

              I finished the first phase of my Python programming for this and for someone that's new to Python, it goes together very quickly!

              I have a TCP/IP server and two clients. The 'tncclient' program reads the data from the TNC-Pi and sends it up to the server, which stores the latest. The 'guiclient' hits the server at a quick rate to update the displays and retrieves the latest packet from the TNC.

              Now I can have it distributed across my LAN and not be so bound to the Pi & TNC. It's kinda like what can be done with AGWPE, but I have much more control! Whee!!

              I'll experiment with queueing up packets for history, but I'll need to keep track of memory usage on that Pi.

              Thanks for all the help, everyone.

              Ross NN5RR
            • Clayton Brantley
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 18, 2013
                John: I know that but was led astray when I read  the first post.  My mind had taken another tact and
                was thinking else where!

                Clayton.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 18, 2013
                    Cool stuff, thanks John!

                    I'm not doing anything with HTTP, however; just the KISS data over TCP/IP and nothing else. I then do processing in my other client application. Maybe I'll do a web server next!

                    Right now I'm trying to decode the source, destination, and digipeater addresses that follow the leading C0 00 of a KISS packet (7 bytes each?) If anyone has info on the algorithm (XOR?), please post a link, would be most grateful! Have been googling for a while now--I think I saw some sample code fly by but I can't seem to get back to it, lol.

                    Thanks!

                    Ross NN5RR

                    --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "John D. Hays" <john@...> wrote:

                    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebSocket
                    >
                    > https://gist.github.com/geoffb/616117
                    >

                    > ------------------------------
                    > John D. Hays
                    > K7VE
                    > PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223
                    > <http://k7ve.org/blog> <http://twitter.com/#!/john_hays>
                    > <http://www.facebook.com/john.d.hays>
                    >

                    > On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 12:29 PM, rosswebmail
                    > <russell.mail.misc@...>wrote:
                    >
                    > > **
                    > >

                    > > Just a follow-up for those interested...
                    > >
                    > > I finished the first phase of my Python programming for this and for
                    > > someone that's new to Python, it goes together very quickly!
                    > >
                    > > I have a TCP/IP server and two clients. The 'tncclient' program reads the
                    > > data from the TNC-Pi and sends it up to the server, which stores the
                    > > latest. The 'guiclient' hits the server at a quick rate to update the
                    > > displays and retrieves the latest packet from the TNC.
                    > >
                    > > Now I can have it distributed across my LAN and not be so bound to the Pi
                    > > & TNC. It's kinda like what can be done with AGWPE, but I have much more
                    > > control! Whee!!
                    > >
                    > > I'll experiment with queueing up packets for history, but I'll need to
                    > > keep track of memory usage on that Pi.
                    > >
                    > > Thanks for all the help, everyone.
                    > >
                    > > Ross NN5RR

                  • rosswebmail
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 19, 2013
                      Sorry to answer myself, but I finally found that C code that converts the first several fields in the KISS packet, and it's as simple as shifting each byte between the "C0 00" and "03 F0" right one bit. Whew!

                      Why that's done escapes me. Maybe to not have the call signs in 'clear text' OTA?

                      Ross NN5RR

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 19, 2013
                        Ross,

                        Athough you've worked out the basics, the full ax.25 spec is here - http://www.tapr.org/pub_ax25.html

                        For general packet decode you need to be aware of the KISS protocol transparency encoding - http://www.ax25.net/kiss.aspx  - most aprs packets will look ok if you ignore it, the the occasional one will appear corrupt.

                        The reason for the bit shifting is that ax.25 frames use HDLC encapsulaton, and HDLC defines that the bottom bit of all address bytes except the last be set to zero.

                        73, John G8BPQ

                        Sorry to answer myself, but I finally found that C code that converts the first several fields in the KISS packet, and it's as simple as shifting each byte between the "C0 00" and "03 F0" right one bit. Whew!

                        Why that's done escapes me. Maybe to not have the call signs in 'clear text' OTA?

                        Ross NN5RR

                        --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "rosswebmail" <russell.mail.misc@...> wrote:

                        > Cool stuff,
                        thanks John!

                        > I'm not doing anything with HTTP, however; just
                        the KISS data over TCP/IP and nothing else. I then do processing in my other client application. Maybe I'll do a web server next!

                        > Right now
                        I'm trying to decode the source, destination, and digipeater addresses that follow the leading C0 00 of a KISS packet (7 bytes each?) If anyone has info on the algorithm (XOR?), please post a link, would be most grateful! Have been googling for a while now--I think I saw some sample code fly by but I can't seem to get back to it, lol.

                        > Thanks!
                        >
                        > Ross
                        NN5RR