Re: Ack! Bricked my Pi (I think)

  • bobrushby@rogers.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 16, 2013
      I've had a similar problem several times when I shutdown my pi's by simply removing power.

      Now I always do " sudo shutdown -h now " and then wait until the lights stop flickering before removing power. I've never had any more problems since then.

      I'll bet if you recreate your SD card you'll be fine.
      73
      Bob VE3GLA

      --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "wa5bdu" <kennnick@...> wrote:

      > I had a few little mishaps yesterday like possibly putting 8.5V on the GPIO 3.3 V pins used for the UART. (Not totally sure of this.) I'd messed up my cabling to a separately powered PIC board and didn't have the commons of the two boards connected as I'd thought.
      >
      > I followed up with some tests using WiringPi's GPIO command line utility (nice) to verify that the pins still worked OK in the generic I/O mode as both inputs and outputs. Then managed to get my serial communications program running well, showing that they still worked in that mode too.
      >
      > Made more programming progress for a few hours, looking good, shut down the Pi and then this morning as I was ready for more -- it wouldn't boot. No video. Only the red LED indicating power on. Vcc measures 4.8V. The green LED lights briefly one time on power-up, indicating a SD card read attempt I understand.
      >
      > No network activity lights. The memory card is fully seated. Tried disconnecting USB stuff, network, finally everything but power and no good. I put the HD card in my laptop and I still see the required files in the directory.
      >
      > Sigh. Guess it's time to get out the credit card and order another one. You can't do electronics projects without blowing up something occasionally.
      >
      > The project? A PIC board I built back in 2007 controls a DDS card that sends RF through a test jig to an AD637 log power meter that gives a DC output proportional to dBm RF power. So I want the Pi to vary the frequency and record frequency and dBm for each point in a file. (Pi commanding PIC via serial link.) To be plotted on the Pi's screen if I learn some stuff about graphics, or exported to my laptop and picked up in Excel for plotting.
      >
      > 73-
      >
      > Nick, WA5BDU

    • wa5bdu
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 17, 2013
        Yes, I've been using "sudo shutdown now" before powering down the Pi, but a few times I've rebooted due to hardware miscues, or even byplugging in a USB hub that I hadn't powered up yet.

        Anyway, now that it's going again, I'm trying to salvage the original SD card.

        First I copied files (most of them) from the working new card to my PC and then copied them to the bad SD card. I was able to get a partial boot but it failed with some kind of "kbd" message indicating a boot failure, per my web search.

        Next, I used the recommended utility to write the original .img file to the card like I'd done when I first started. I assumed / hoped that this would overwrite everything on the card. Again, I got a partial boot that failed with the "something - kbd" message.

        So now I'm wondering if formatting the card would help and if so, how would I do it? I tried it from Windows My Computer, but the window that popped up made me think it was going to put a Windows style structure on the card (makes sense), so I backed out.

        Any suggestions? I think this SD card is still OK as I can read and write it. Maybe it has some bad memory. I don't know if the Pi or Raspian is able to accommodate that or now.

        73-

        Nick, WA5BDU

        --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, bobrushby@... wrote:

        > I've had a similar problem several times when I shutdown my pi's by simply removing power.
        >
        > Now I always do " sudo shutdown -h now " and then wait until the lights stop flickering before removing power. I've never had any more problems since then.
        >
        > I'll bet if you recreate your SD card you'll be fine.
        > 73
        > Bob VE3GLA

      • Vincent
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 18, 2013
          Make a bootable Linux DVD/CD and then format the card.

          Debian Live CD: http://www.debian.org/CD/live/

          When in doubt about which to get go with the i386 version.

          --

          Vincent Tompkins
          I am NOT n2ohh - my station is.
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 18, 2013
            Check out
            https://www.sdcard.org/home/
            They seem to know SD cards.

            On 6/17/2013 8:25 PM, wa5bdu wrote:
            > So now I'm wondering if formatting the card would help and if so, how
            > would I do it? I tried it from Windows My Computer, but the window
            > that popped up made me think it was going to put a Windows style
            > structure on the card (makes sense), so I backed out.
            >
            > Any suggestions? I think this SD card is still OK as I can read and
            > write it. Maybe it has some bad memory. I don't know if the Pi or
            > Raspian is able to accommodate that or now.

            --
            John Ferrell W8CCW
            "The pessimist complains about the wind;
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 18, 2013
              Hi Nick

              There is NO need to format the card.

              The IMAGE file contains all the partition, formatting, and data, so when it is properly written to
              the card, all the partitioning & formatting will be there.

              When you write the card, make sure you arewriting the proper image file and that it completes
              correctly.. Then make sure you either shutdown the machine or go through the proper
              ejection/un-mounting process BEFORE unplugging the card, not following the process can corrupt the
              file-system on the card.

              Plug the card in the Pi and apply power, it should boot up properly, it might take a few minutes the
              1st couple times.

              If it doesn't boot, either the image didn't get written properly, the card is possibly defective,
              the pi might be defective, or more likely the power source to the Pi is not up to snuff.

              -Jim- N1JMM, KB1YPL_B

              On 6/17/13 8:25 PM, wa5bdu wrote:
              > Yes, I've been using "sudo shutdown now" before powering down the Pi, but a few times I've rebooted due to hardware miscues, or even byplugging in a USB hub that I hadn't powered up yet.
              >
              > Anyway, now that it's going again, I'm trying to salvage the original SD card.
              >
              > First I copied files (most of them) from the working new card to my PC and then copied them to the bad SD card. I was able to get a partial boot but it failed with some kind of "kbd" message indicating a boot failure, per my web search.
              >
              > Next, I used the recommended utility to write the original .img file to the card like I'd done when I first started. I assumed / hoped that this would overwrite everything on the card. Again, I got a partial boot that failed with the "something - kbd" message.
              >
              > So now I'm wondering if formatting the card would help and if so, how would I do it? I tried it from Windows My Computer, but the window that popped up made me think it was going to put a Windows style structure on the card (makes sense), so I backed out.
              >
              > Any suggestions? I think this SD card is still OK as I can read and write it. Maybe it has some bad memory. I don't know if the Pi or Raspian is able to accommodate that or now.
              >
              > 73-
              >
              > Nick, WA5BDU
              >
              > --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, bobrushby@... wrote:
              >> I've had a similar problem several times when I shutdown my pi's by simply removing power.
              >>
              >> Now I always do " sudo shutdown -h now " and then wait until the lights stop flickering before removing power. I've never had any more problems since then.
              >>
              >> I'll bet if you recreate your SD card you'll be fine.
              >> 73
              >> Bob VE3GLA

            • Ray Wells
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 19, 2013
                On 18/06/13 19:25, Vincent wrote:

                Make a bootable Linux DVD/CD and then format the card.

                Debian Live CD: http://www.debian.org/CD/live/

                When in doubt about which to get go with the i386 version.

                --

                Vincent Tompkins
                I am NOT n2ohh - my station is.

                There is an alternative for those not familiar with Linux. Grab a gparted.iso image on line and burn that to disk. Although it's Debian based it is configured to boot into gparted in a gui environment without knowing Linux commands. gparted is quite similar to the Windows program Partition Magic in function and appearance. Partition Magic can also deal with (delete, create and format) Linux partitions.

                Ray vk2tv
              • wa5bdu
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 19, 2013
                  Yeah, I'm taking some action on the power thing. I measured 4.69V after the polyfuse (4.79V ahead of it). So I'm about 0.06 below the recommended minimum. Normally that wouldn't trouble me with a 5V device, but much I've read says that the Pi doesn't like its voltage on the low end of the scale.

                  I ordered a 1000 mA wart from Adafruit. Her / their specs say they shoot for 5.25 VDC because that's within specs for typical 5 V devices and you usually lose a couple tenths in wiring or the supply itself sagging under load. Makes sense to me. I'll wait until I get that new P/S and then try my old SD card again.

                  Meanwhile I have the *new* SD card working. I'm seeing a bit of what a disaster it is to lose your memory card, so I'm going to start pulling mine and copying the image to a PC / laptop periodically. Imagine what a mess it would have been if I'd been fine-tuning my system and adding apps and libraries for months or years instead of just weeks.

                  It makes you pause a bit on card size though. I assume the image written is a copy of every bit on the card, whether the memory is actually used or not. So it takes a fair bit of HDD space to back up a 16GB memory card.

                  I *thought* I'd bought another 5 V wall wart supply at HamCom in Plano, but when I tried it I found that it had a *mini* USB connector, not a *micro*. Doh!

                  73-

                  Nick, WA5BDU

                  --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Jim Thisdale <n1jmm1@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Nick
                  >
                  > There is NO need to format the card.
                  >

                  > the pi might be defective, or more likely the power source to the Pi is not up to snuff.
                  >
                  > -Jim- N1JMM, KB1YPL_B

                • Clayton Brantley
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 19, 2013
                    On a Pi, you don't need to go to that extreme.  Just pop a SD card into your computer and
                    burn it.  No need to format or anything else.  Now that being said, you need to do all that
                    when you download an image to run on your laptop or other ..... whatever.

                    Clayton N4EV

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 20, 2013
                      Note: you can plug the card into another linux machine, run gparted to shrink the ext4 partition to
                      slightly bigger than the minimum amount of space, then use DD tomake an image from block 0 to the
                      last used block, note you will have to TELL dd how many blocks to copy. After the copy, simply
                      expand the partition again. This might not save any time, just disk space on your backup drive.

                      Note: You can compress the backup image some if you shrank the partition first, or very
                      substantially if didn't and you had a lot of free-space on the card.

                      -Jim- N1JMM, KB1YPL_B