Re: Raspberry Pi/What OS To Use

  • wa5bdu
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 16, 2013
      I think versions of the Linux OS are just about always written in C. In this case, it was probably compiled on the gcc compiler. It comes with the Raspian OS installation, BTW, and compiles down to ARM code.

      73-

      Nick, WA5BDU
    • pmooney22
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 19, 2013
        Much of Linux is written in C, and compiled ARM for the Pi.

        The most common compiler is gcc

        Paul
        5B8BA
      • pmooney22
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 19, 2013
          Sorry Ray, have to disagree.

          Debian Stable (wheezy) most definately is not a rolling release.

          Debian testing (Jessie) is a rolling relese in that have been (fairly) thoroughly tested in Debian unstable (Sid). In a year or two 'Jessie' will replace 'Wheezy' as the stable release.

          I would not recommend Jessie or Sid (especially the latter) to anybody who does not have a fairly extensive knowledge of Linux.

          Linux Mint Debian Edition takes updates from Jessie, so could be described as a rolling release.

          Ubuntu have stated their intention to move back towards Debian. They have the unfortuante tendency to put dates on their releases and get them out on time, 100% ready or not.

          paul 5B8BA

          --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Ray Wells <vk2tv@...> wrote:

          > The advantage that vanilla Debian has over Ubuntu is it's a rolling
          > release so you don't have to reinstall every year or three as new
          > releases arrive. Just keep doing apt-get update and apt-get upgrade.
          > Admittedly, Ubuntu avoids most "Debianisms".
          >
          > Ray vk2tv
        • rosswebmail
          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 19, 2013
            I would never bother with getting a preloaded SD card. I go with the fabulous "NOOBS" installation, which lets you easily try different OSs and HTPCs.

            http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/tag/noobs (see the "downloads" link in the 3rd paragraph).

            Ross NN5RR

            --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "John" <n0meq@...> wrote:

            > I have a DVap and want to use a Raspberry pi. I want to use it as a portable unit. At home it would be connected via Ethernet to a router, I was also thinking wifi on the Pi as well. This might be a large open question for debate but what would be the best OS to use? I have seen many using raspbian Wheezy. I have also seen preloaded sd cards.... Any suggestions would be helpful!
            >
            > John
            > N0MEQ

          • Ray Wells
            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 19, 2013
              Thanks Paul, I stand corrected.

              If you want to experience the ultimate confusion regarding "rolling" releases take a look here ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_release

              Ray vk2tv

              On 19/06/13 19:42, pmooney22 wrote:

              Sorry Ray, have to disagree.

              Debian Stable (wheezy) most definately is not a rolling release.

              Debian testing (Jessie) is a rolling relese in that have been (fairly) thoroughly tested in Debian unstable (Sid). In a year or two 'Jessie' will replace 'Wheezy' as the stable release.

              I would not recommend Jessie or Sid (especially the latter) to anybody who does not have a fairly extensive knowledge of Linux.

              Linux Mint Debian Edition takes updates from Jessie, so could be described as a rolling release.

              Ubuntu have stated their intention to move back towards Debian. They have the unfortuante tendency to put dates on their releases and get them out on time, 100% ready or not.

              paul 5B8BA

              --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Ray Wells <vk2tv@...> wrote:

              > The advantage that vanilla Debian has over Ubuntu is it's a rolling
              > release so you don't have to reinstall every year or three as new
              > releases arrive. Just keep doing apt-get update and apt-get upgrade.
              > Admittedly, Ubuntu avoids most "Debianisms".
              >
              > Ray vk2tv

            • Ray Wells
              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 20, 2013
                My mistake got the better of me.

                Looks like I missed Wheezy going from testing to stable just a few weeks back ....

                From http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/

                "Debian 7.1 was released June 15th, 2013. Debian 7.0 was initially released on May 4th, 2013. "

                I run vanilla Debian testing on my "radio" computers and Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE, which is their version of Debian testing) on my laptop. The desktop is still an older Ubuntu based Linux Mint (12 from memory) but this will move to LMDE when its time expires.

                Ray vk2tv

                On 20/06/13 08:59, Ray Wells wrote:

                Thanks Paul, I stand corrected.

                If you want to experience the ultimate confusion regarding "rolling" releases take a look here ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_release

                Ray vk2tv

                On 19/06/13 19:42, pmooney22 wrote:

                Sorry Ray, have to disagree.

                Debian Stable (wheezy) most definately is not a rolling release.

                Debian testing (Jessie) is a rolling relese in that have been (fairly) thoroughly tested in Debian unstable (Sid). In a year or two 'Jessie' will replace 'Wheezy' as the stable release.

                I would not recommend Jessie or Sid (especially the latter) to anybody who does not have a fairly extensive knowledge of Linux.

                Linux Mint Debian Edition takes updates from Jessie, so could be described as a rolling release.

                Ubuntu have stated their intention to move back towards Debian. They have the unfortuante tendency to put dates on their releases and get them out on time, 100% ready or not.

                paul 5B8BA

                --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Ray Wells <vk2tv@...> wrote:

                > The advantage that vanilla Debian has over Ubuntu is it's a rolling
                > release so you don't have to reinstall every year or three as new
                > releases arrive. Just keep doing apt-get update and apt-get upgrade.
                > Admittedly, Ubuntu avoids most "Debianisms".
                >
                > Ray vk2tv

              • John Ferrell
                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 23, 2013
                  FWIW: Debian 7/ Gnome Classic Desktop, I choose this combination to learn Linux so that I would be better prepared to work with Raspberry Wheezy.
                  Here is the report ...
                  Project:
                  Debian 7.0.0    i386
                  Net Install
                  {curly braces are comments}
                  {whenever asked, choose classic Gnome}
                  Parameters:
                      Debian Desk
                      Print service
                      SSH
                      Standard System Utilities
                  visudo:    john        ALL=(ALL:ALL)     NOPASSWD=ALL
                  ssh -X        {I don't think this neccessary}

                  {UltraVNC would log in from Win 7, but  no sound and required host permission}
                  Install xrdp

                  {Now Win7 Remote Desktop works including sound. No indication on the Host}

                  {a 20G drive was used and indicated  14G free at this point}

                  On 6/16/2013 9:32 PM, John Ferrell wrote:

                  I think I tried that and had problems, but I will try it again. I am working hard and learning fast. I bought 10 HDD's on EBAY to work with so I don't have to destroy anything to try something different.  Gnome 3 is not likely to ever work with Windows Remote Desktop.
                  That is why I was working with xfce.

                  On 6/16/2013 9:06 PM, John D. Hays wrote:
                  If you are doing a native Linux desktop on a PC, try Ubuntu.http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop --its a derivative of Debian but much better developed for the desktop user.

                  If you are running Windows on a PC, try xrdp  (apt-get install xrdp) and use Window's remote desktop. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/connect-to-another-computer-using-remote-desktop-connection

                  John Ferrell W8CCW
                  "The pessimist complains about the wind;
                  The optimist expects it to change;
                  The realist adjusts the sails."
                       William A. Ward