Raspberry Pi as Remote TCP Server for RTL2832U SDR

  • ks4ju
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 14, 2012
      It seems that we all have the urge to mash together a RTL2832U DVBT stick and a Raspberry Pi to come up with a small inexpensive SDR receiver. After experimenting with this for several months, I can tell you due to the limited processing power of the Pi, it is not easy. However, you can use the Pi and the RTL2832U stick to create a TCP based SDR radio that can be used by SDR Sharp on a remote computer. Some of you may find this information useful.

    • The Silver Fox
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 14, 2012

        The link does not seem to be valid.

        73,

        Alan – W6ARH

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 14, 2012
          If you Google search
          "Raspberry Pi as Remote TCP Server for RTL2832U" it points to a couple of pages.

          On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 12:45 PM, The Silver Fox <alan.r.hill@...> wrote:

          The link does not seem to be valid.

          73,

          Alan – W6ARH

          It seems that we all have the urge to mash together a RTL2832U DVBT stick and a Raspberry Pi to come up with a small inexpensive SDR receiver. After experimenting with this for several months, I can tell you due to the limited processing power of the Pi, it is not easy. However, you can use the Pi and the RTL2832U stick to create a TCP based SDR radio that can be used by SDR Sharp on a remote computer. Some of you may find this information useful.

        • Vincent
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 14, 2012
            When I checked the message source there wasn't a URL available:

            --

            Vincent Tompkins
            n2ohh@...
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 14, 2012

              The link does not seem to be valid.

              73,

              Alan – W6ARH

              It seems that we all have the urge to mash together a RTL2832U DVBT stick and a Raspberry Pi to come up with a small inexpensive SDR receiver. After experimenting with this for several months, I can tell you due to the limited processing power of the Pi, it is not easy. However, you can use the Pi and the RTL2832U stick to create a TCP based SDR radio that can be used by SDR Sharp on a remote computer. Some of you may find this information useful.

            • Matthew Pitts
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 14, 2012

                Matthew Pitts
                N8OHU

                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 14, 2012
                  --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "ks4ju" <ks4ju@...> wrote:

                  > It seems that we all have the urge to mash together a RTL2832U DVBT
                  > stick and a Raspberry Pi to come up with a small inexpensive SDR
                  > receiver. After experimenting with this for several months, I can tell
                  > you due to the limited processing power of the Pi, it is not easy.
                  > However, you can use the Pi and the RTL2832U stick to create a TCP based
                  > SDR radio that can be used by SDR Sharp on a remote computer. Some of
                  > you may find this information useful.
                  > Raspberry Pi as Remote TCP Server for RTL2832U <Raspberry Pi as Remote
                  > Server for RTL2832u SDR>

                  Sorry for the confusion, somehow the link got mangled.......

                  Here is the correct link
                  http://www.hamradioscience.com/raspberry-pi-as-remote-server-for-rtl2832u-sdr/
                • siegfried jackstien
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 14, 2012
                    As soon as i got a raspi that is what i plan to do

                    Do YOU have this setup working?

                    How easy or complicated is it to put that together?

                    Could you upload a mirror image of your sd card somewhere?

                    I do not have a raspi yet but will order one ort wo in the next week or so
                    ... so if you can help me with the setup that would be fine

                    i am a linux newbie ... never ever used it before so will need all help that
                    i can get

                    dg9bfc

                    sigi