Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Re: Raspberry Pi/What OS To Use

  • John Ferrell
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 16, 2013
      Is the OS that runs on the Pi written in the ARM language or something else?

      In working with the port interfaces it appears that programming in 'c'
      is OK for those apps.

      --
      John Ferrell W8CCW
      "The pessimist complains about the wind;
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 16, 2013
        In runs the code built from Linux sources (mostly 'C') compiled for ARM processor.   You simply load the images from the download site and run from them, you don't need to worry about the language or processor language.  If you want to compile your own programs a large number of languages are available, e.g.  C/C++, Python, Pascal, Fortran, Cobol, Lisp, Assembly, Ruby, PHP, ...  all of which will run under Linux on ARM.

              Message 7 of 20 , Jun 16, 2013
                I think versions of the Linux OS are just about always written in C. In this case, it was probably compiled on the gcc compiler. It comes with the Raspian OS installation, BTW, and compiles down to ARM code.

                73-

                Nick, WA5BDU
              • Matthew Pitts
                Message 8 of 20 , Jun 16, 2013

                  You don't have to reinstall unless you want to; do "apt-get dist-upgrade", change the repository entries to the new version, then do "apt-get update" "apt-get upgrade". This method is actually the best way to get the latest release of Raspian as well, though I'm not sure if there are separate repository entries for that.

                  Matthew Pitts
                  N8OHU

                  Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

                  Message 9 of 20 , Jun 19, 2013
                    Much of Linux is written in C, and compiled ARM for the Pi.

                    The most common compiler is gcc

                    Paul
                    5B8BA
                  • pmooney22
                    Message 10 of 20 , Jun 19, 2013
                      Sorry Ray, have to disagree.

                      Debian Stable (wheezy) most definately is not a rolling release.

                      Debian testing (Jessie) is a rolling relese in that have been (fairly) thoroughly tested in Debian unstable (Sid). In a year or two 'Jessie' will replace 'Wheezy' as the stable release.

                      I would not recommend Jessie or Sid (especially the latter) to anybody who does not have a fairly extensive knowledge of Linux.

                      Linux Mint Debian Edition takes updates from Jessie, so could be described as a rolling release.

                      Ubuntu have stated their intention to move back towards Debian. They have the unfortuante tendency to put dates on their releases and get them out on time, 100% ready or not.

                      paul 5B8BA

                      --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Ray Wells <vk2tv@...> wrote:

                      > The advantage that vanilla Debian has over Ubuntu is it's a rolling
                      > release so you don't have to reinstall every year or three as new
                      > releases arrive. Just keep doing apt-get update and apt-get upgrade.
                      > Admittedly, Ubuntu avoids most "Debianisms".
                      >
                      > Ray vk2tv
                    • rosswebmail
                      Message 11 of 20 , Jun 19, 2013
                        I would never bother with getting a preloaded SD card. I go with the fabulous "NOOBS" installation, which lets you easily try different OSs and HTPCs.

                        http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/tag/noobs (see the "downloads" link in the 3rd paragraph).

                        Ross NN5RR

                        --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "John" <n0meq@...> wrote:

                        > I have a DVap and want to use a Raspberry pi. I want to use it as a portable unit. At home it would be connected via Ethernet to a router, I was also thinking wifi on the Pi as well. This might be a large open question for debate but what would be the best OS to use? I have seen many using raspbian Wheezy. I have also seen preloaded sd cards.... Any suggestions would be helpful!
                        >
                        > John
                        > N0MEQ

                      • Ray Wells
                        Message 12 of 20 , Jun 19, 2013
                          Thanks Paul, I stand corrected.

                          If you want to experience the ultimate confusion regarding "rolling" releases take a look here ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_release

                          Ray vk2tv

                          On 19/06/13 19:42, pmooney22 wrote:

                          Sorry Ray, have to disagree.

                          Debian Stable (wheezy) most definately is not a rolling release.

                          Debian testing (Jessie) is a rolling relese in that have been (fairly) thoroughly tested in Debian unstable (Sid). In a year or two 'Jessie' will replace 'Wheezy' as the stable release.

                          I would not recommend Jessie or Sid (especially the latter) to anybody who does not have a fairly extensive knowledge of Linux.

                          Linux Mint Debian Edition takes updates from Jessie, so could be described as a rolling release.

                          Ubuntu have stated their intention to move back towards Debian. They have the unfortuante tendency to put dates on their releases and get them out on time, 100% ready or not.

                          paul 5B8BA

                          --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Ray Wells <vk2tv@...> wrote:

                          > The advantage that vanilla Debian has over Ubuntu is it's a rolling
                          > release so you don't have to reinstall every year or three as new
                          > releases arrive. Just keep doing apt-get update and apt-get upgrade.
                          > Admittedly, Ubuntu avoids most "Debianisms".
                          >
                          > Ray vk2tv

                        • Ray Wells
                          Message 13 of 20 , Jun 20, 2013
                            My mistake got the better of me.

                            Looks like I missed Wheezy going from testing to stable just a few weeks back ....

                            From http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/

                            "Debian 7.1 was released June 15th, 2013. Debian 7.0 was initially released on May 4th, 2013. "

                            I run vanilla Debian testing on my "radio" computers and Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE, which is their version of Debian testing) on my laptop. The desktop is still an older Ubuntu based Linux Mint (12 from memory) but this will move to LMDE when its time expires.

                            Ray vk2tv

                            On 20/06/13 08:59, Ray Wells wrote:

                            Thanks Paul, I stand corrected.

                            If you want to experience the ultimate confusion regarding "rolling" releases take a look here ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_release

                            Ray vk2tv

                            On 19/06/13 19:42, pmooney22 wrote:

                            Sorry Ray, have to disagree.

                            Debian Stable (wheezy) most definately is not a rolling release.

                            Debian testing (Jessie) is a rolling relese in that have been (fairly) thoroughly tested in Debian unstable (Sid). In a year or two 'Jessie' will replace 'Wheezy' as the stable release.

                            I would not recommend Jessie or Sid (especially the latter) to anybody who does not have a fairly extensive knowledge of Linux.

                            Linux Mint Debian Edition takes updates from Jessie, so could be described as a rolling release.

                            Ubuntu have stated their intention to move back towards Debian. They have the unfortuante tendency to put dates on their releases and get them out on time, 100% ready or not.

                            paul 5B8BA

                            --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Ray Wells <vk2tv@...> wrote:

                            > The advantage that vanilla Debian has over Ubuntu is it's a rolling
                            > release so you don't have to reinstall every year or three as new
                            > releases arrive. Just keep doing apt-get update and apt-get upgrade.
                            > Admittedly, Ubuntu avoids most "Debianisms".
                            >
                            > Ray vk2tv

                          • John Ferrell
                            Message 14 of 20 , Jun 23, 2013
                              FWIW: Debian 7/ Gnome Classic Desktop, I choose this combination to learn Linux so that I would be better prepared to work with Raspberry Wheezy.
                              Here is the report ...
                              Project:
                              Debian 7.0.0    i386
                              Net Install
                              {curly braces are comments}
                              {whenever asked, choose classic Gnome}
                              Parameters:
                                  Debian Desk
                                  Print service
                                  SSH
                                  Standard System Utilities
                              visudo:    john        ALL=(ALL:ALL)     NOPASSWD=ALL
                              ssh -X        {I don't think this neccessary}

                              {UltraVNC would log in from Win 7, but  no sound and required host permission}
                              Install xrdp

                              {Now Win7 Remote Desktop works including sound. No indication on the Host}

                              {a 20G drive was used and indicated  14G free at this point}