Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Raspberry Pi/What OS To Use

    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 15, 2013

      On the download site --

      Raspbian “wheezy”

      Raspbian uses hardware floating point

      Soft-float Debian “wheezy”

      Wheezy uses software floating point

      Use either one.

      There is also a new one

      New Out Of Box Software (Recommended)

      Any of these will work, but stay with Raspbian or Debian for the DEB instructions.

      On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 6:45 PM, Max Harper <kg4pid@...> wrote:

      John, you said "Most people use Raspbian or Wheezy from http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads" I don't understand the Raspbian or Wheezy as I thought it was just Raspbian Wheezy. You make it sound as though it is two different OSs but I only see "Raspbian Wheezy" as a download. This a been an area of confusion as I have seen it printed like this before. So which is it?

      A. Raspbian
      B. Wheezy
      C. Raspbian Wheezy

      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 16, 2013
        John,

        I would suggest that for whichever OS you use, that you download the current version and load it on a SD card. It is likely that the preloaded SD cards have an older version of the OS.

        Jerry
        N6HFR

        --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "John" <n0meq@...> wrote:

        > I have a DVap and want to use a Raspberry pi. I want to use it as a portable unit. At home it would be connected via Ethernet to a router, I was also thinking wifi on the Pi as well. This might be a large open question for debate but what would be the best OS to use? I have seen many using raspbian Wheezy. I have also seen preloaded sd cards.... Any suggestions would be helpful!
        >
        > John
        > N0MEQ

      • pmooney22
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 16, 2013
          The current version of Rasbian is based upon (and named after) the latest version of Debian Linux which uses the characters from the film 'Toy Story' i.e. 'Raspbian Wheezy'.

          The next version, which may take up to two years to release, is named 'Jessie'

          HTH

          Paul
          5B8BA

          --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Max Harper <kg4pid@...> wrote:

          > John, you said "Most people use Raspbian or Wheezy from http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads" I don't understand the Raspbian or Wheezy as I thought it was just Raspbian Wheezy. You make it sound as though it is two different OSs but I only see "Raspbian Wheezy" as a download. This a been an area of confusion as I have seen it printed like this before. So which is it?
          >
          > A. Raspbian
          > B. Wheezy
          > C. Raspbian Wheezy

        • John Ferrell
          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 16, 2013
            Is the OS that runs on the Pi written in the ARM language or something else?

            In working with the port interfaces it appears that programming in 'c'
            is OK for those apps.

            --
            John Ferrell W8CCW
            "The pessimist complains about the wind;
            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 16, 2013
              In runs the code built from Linux sources (mostly 'C') compiled for ARM processor.   You simply load the images from the download site and run from them, you don't need to worry about the language or processor language.  If you want to compile your own programs a large number of languages are available, e.g.  C/C++, Python, Pascal, Fortran, Cobol, Lisp, Assembly, Ruby, PHP, ...  all of which will run under Linux on ARM.

                    Message 10 of 20 , Jun 16, 2013
                      I think versions of the Linux OS are just about always written in C. In this case, it was probably compiled on the gcc compiler. It comes with the Raspian OS installation, BTW, and compiles down to ARM code.

                      73-

                      Nick, WA5BDU
                    • Matthew Pitts
                      Message 11 of 20 , Jun 16, 2013

                        You don't have to reinstall unless you want to; do "apt-get dist-upgrade", change the repository entries to the new version, then do "apt-get update" "apt-get upgrade". This method is actually the best way to get the latest release of Raspian as well, though I'm not sure if there are separate repository entries for that.

                        Matthew Pitts
                        N8OHU

                        Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

                        Message 12 of 20 , Jun 19, 2013
                          Much of Linux is written in C, and compiled ARM for the Pi.

                          The most common compiler is gcc

                          Paul
                          5B8BA
                        • pmooney22
                          Message 13 of 20 , Jun 19, 2013
                            Sorry Ray, have to disagree.

                            Debian Stable (wheezy) most definately is not a rolling release.

                            Debian testing (Jessie) is a rolling relese in that have been (fairly) thoroughly tested in Debian unstable (Sid). In a year or two 'Jessie' will replace 'Wheezy' as the stable release.

                            I would not recommend Jessie or Sid (especially the latter) to anybody who does not have a fairly extensive knowledge of Linux.

                            Linux Mint Debian Edition takes updates from Jessie, so could be described as a rolling release.

                            Ubuntu have stated their intention to move back towards Debian. They have the unfortuante tendency to put dates on their releases and get them out on time, 100% ready or not.

                            paul 5B8BA

                            --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Ray Wells <vk2tv@...> wrote:

                            > The advantage that vanilla Debian has over Ubuntu is it's a rolling
                            > release so you don't have to reinstall every year or three as new
                            > releases arrive. Just keep doing apt-get update and apt-get upgrade.
                            > Admittedly, Ubuntu avoids most "Debianisms".
                            >
                            > Ray vk2tv
                          • rosswebmail
                            Message 14 of 20 , Jun 19, 2013
                              I would never bother with getting a preloaded SD card. I go with the fabulous "NOOBS" installation, which lets you easily try different OSs and HTPCs.

                              http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/tag/noobs (see the "downloads" link in the 3rd paragraph).

                              Ross NN5RR

                              --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "John" <n0meq@...> wrote:

                              > I have a DVap and want to use a Raspberry pi. I want to use it as a portable unit. At home it would be connected via Ethernet to a router, I was also thinking wifi on the Pi as well. This might be a large open question for debate but what would be the best OS to use? I have seen many using raspbian Wheezy. I have also seen preloaded sd cards.... Any suggestions would be helpful!
                              >
                              > John
                              > N0MEQ

                            • Ray Wells
                              Message 15 of 20 , Jun 19, 2013
                                Thanks Paul, I stand corrected.

                                If you want to experience the ultimate confusion regarding "rolling" releases take a look here ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_release

                                Ray vk2tv

                                On 19/06/13 19:42, pmooney22 wrote:

                                Sorry Ray, have to disagree.

                                Debian Stable (wheezy) most definately is not a rolling release.

                                Debian testing (Jessie) is a rolling relese in that have been (fairly) thoroughly tested in Debian unstable (Sid). In a year or two 'Jessie' will replace 'Wheezy' as the stable release.

                                I would not recommend Jessie or Sid (especially the latter) to anybody who does not have a fairly extensive knowledge of Linux.

                                Linux Mint Debian Edition takes updates from Jessie, so could be described as a rolling release.

                                Ubuntu have stated their intention to move back towards Debian. They have the unfortuante tendency to put dates on their releases and get them out on time, 100% ready or not.

                                paul 5B8BA

                                --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Ray Wells <vk2tv@...> wrote:

                                > The advantage that vanilla Debian has over Ubuntu is it's a rolling
                                > release so you don't have to reinstall every year or three as new
                                > releases arrive. Just keep doing apt-get update and apt-get upgrade.
                                > Admittedly, Ubuntu avoids most "Debianisms".
                                >
                                > Ray vk2tv

                              • Ray Wells
                                Message 16 of 20 , Jun 20, 2013
                                  My mistake got the better of me.

                                  Looks like I missed Wheezy going from testing to stable just a few weeks back ....

                                  From http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/

                                  "Debian 7.1 was released June 15th, 2013. Debian 7.0 was initially released on May 4th, 2013. "

                                  I run vanilla Debian testing on my "radio" computers and Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE, which is their version of Debian testing) on my laptop. The desktop is still an older Ubuntu based Linux Mint (12 from memory) but this will move to LMDE when its time expires.

                                  Ray vk2tv

                                  On 20/06/13 08:59, Ray Wells wrote:

                                  Thanks Paul, I stand corrected.

                                  If you want to experience the ultimate confusion regarding "rolling" releases take a look here ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_release

                                  Ray vk2tv

                                  On 19/06/13 19:42, pmooney22 wrote:

                                  Sorry Ray, have to disagree.

                                  Debian Stable (wheezy) most definately is not a rolling release.

                                  Debian testing (Jessie) is a rolling relese in that have been (fairly) thoroughly tested in Debian unstable (Sid). In a year or two 'Jessie' will replace 'Wheezy' as the stable release.

                                  I would not recommend Jessie or Sid (especially the latter) to anybody who does not have a fairly extensive knowledge of Linux.

                                  Linux Mint Debian Edition takes updates from Jessie, so could be described as a rolling release.

                                  Ubuntu have stated their intention to move back towards Debian. They have the unfortuante tendency to put dates on their releases and get them out on time, 100% ready or not.

                                  paul 5B8BA

                                  --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Ray Wells <vk2tv@...> wrote:

                                  > The advantage that vanilla Debian has over Ubuntu is it's a rolling
                                  > release so you don't have to reinstall every year or three as new
                                  > releases arrive. Just keep doing apt-get update and apt-get upgrade.
                                  > Admittedly, Ubuntu avoids most "Debianisms".
                                  >
                                  > Ray vk2tv

                                • John Ferrell
                                  Message 17 of 20 , Jun 23, 2013
                                    FWIW: Debian 7/ Gnome Classic Desktop, I choose this combination to learn Linux so that I would be better prepared to work with Raspberry Wheezy.
                                    Here is the report ...
                                    Project:
                                    Debian 7.0.0    i386
                                    Net Install
                                    {curly braces are comments}
                                    {whenever asked, choose classic Gnome}
                                    Parameters:
                                        Debian Desk
                                        Print service
                                        SSH
                                        Standard System Utilities
                                    visudo:    john        ALL=(ALL:ALL)     NOPASSWD=ALL
                                    ssh -X        {I don't think this neccessary}

                                    {UltraVNC would log in from Win 7, but  no sound and required host permission}
                                    Install xrdp

                                    {Now Win7 Remote Desktop works including sound. No indication on the Host}

                                    {a 20G drive was used and indicated  14G free at this point}