Raspberry Pi/What OS To Use

  • John
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 14, 2013
      I have a DVap and want to use a Raspberry pi. I want to use it as a portable unit. At home it would be connected via Ethernet to a router, I was also thinking wifi on the Pi as well. This might be a large open question for debate but what would be the best OS to use? I have seen many using raspbian Wheezy. I have also seen preloaded sd cards.... Any suggestions would be helpful!

      John
      N0MEQ
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 15, 2013
        The software is pretty agnostic about Linux distribution.  Most people use Raspbian or Wheezy from  http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads

        The group can also answer questions about using the software on the Pi.  A common platform.  For WiFi, look at Ralink RT5370 based dongles, such as http://www.amazon.com/802-11n-150m-Wireless-Network-Adapter/dp/tech-data/B007BWFXYS

        On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 6:37 PM, John <n0meq@...> wrote:

        I have a DVap and want to use a Raspberry pi. I want to use it as a portable unit. At home it would be connected via Ethernet to a router, I was also thinking wifi on the Pi as well. This might be a large open question for debate but what would be the best OS to use? I have seen many using raspbian Wheezy. I have also seen preloaded sd cards.... Any suggestions would be helpful!

        John
        N0MEQ

      • Max Harper
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 15, 2013
          John, you said "Most people use Raspbian or Wheezy from http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads" I don't understand the Raspbian or Wheezy as I thought it was just Raspbian Wheezy. You make it sound as though it is two different OSs but I only see "Raspbian Wheezy" as a download. This a been an area of confusion as I have seen it printed like this before. So which is it?

          A. Raspbian
          B. Wheezy
          C. Raspbian Wheezy

          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 15, 2013

            On the download site --

            Raspbian “wheezy”

            Raspbian uses hardware floating point

            Soft-float Debian “wheezy”

            Wheezy uses software floating point

            Use either one.

            There is also a new one

            New Out Of Box Software (Recommended)

            Any of these will work, but stay with Raspbian or Debian for the DEB instructions.

            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 16, 2013
              John,

              I would suggest that for whichever OS you use, that you download the current version and load it on a SD card. It is likely that the preloaded SD cards have an older version of the OS.

              Jerry
              N6HFR

              --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "John" <n0meq@...> wrote:

              > I have a DVap and want to use a Raspberry pi. I want to use it as a portable unit. At home it would be connected via Ethernet to a router, I was also thinking wifi on the Pi as well. This might be a large open question for debate but what would be the best OS to use? I have seen many using raspbian Wheezy. I have also seen preloaded sd cards.... Any suggestions would be helpful!
              >
              > John
              > N0MEQ

            • pmooney22
              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 16, 2013
                The current version of Rasbian is based upon (and named after) the latest version of Debian Linux which uses the characters from the film 'Toy Story' i.e. 'Raspbian Wheezy'.

                The next version, which may take up to two years to release, is named 'Jessie'

                HTH

                Paul
                5B8BA

                --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Max Harper <kg4pid@...> wrote:

                > John, you said "Most people use Raspbian or Wheezy from http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads" I don't understand the Raspbian or Wheezy as I thought it was just Raspbian Wheezy. You make it sound as though it is two different OSs but I only see "Raspbian Wheezy" as a download. This a been an area of confusion as I have seen it printed like this before. So which is it?
                >
                > A. Raspbian
                > B. Wheezy
                > C. Raspbian Wheezy

              • John Ferrell
                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 16, 2013
                  Is the OS that runs on the Pi written in the ARM language or something else?

                  In working with the port interfaces it appears that programming in 'c'
                  is OK for those apps.

                  --
                  John Ferrell W8CCW
                  "The pessimist complains about the wind;
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jun 16, 2013
                    In runs the code built from Linux sources (mostly 'C') compiled for ARM processor.   You simply load the images from the download site and run from them, you don't need to worry about the language or processor language.  If you want to compile your own programs a large number of languages are available, e.g.  C/C++, Python, Pascal, Fortran, Cobol, Lisp, Assembly, Ruby, PHP, ...  all of which will run under Linux on ARM.

                          Message 13 of 20 , Jun 16, 2013
                            I think versions of the Linux OS are just about always written in C. In this case, it was probably compiled on the gcc compiler. It comes with the Raspian OS installation, BTW, and compiles down to ARM code.

                            73-

                            Nick, WA5BDU
                          • Matthew Pitts
                            Message 14 of 20 , Jun 16, 2013

                              You don't have to reinstall unless you want to; do "apt-get dist-upgrade", change the repository entries to the new version, then do "apt-get update" "apt-get upgrade". This method is actually the best way to get the latest release of Raspian as well, though I'm not sure if there are separate repository entries for that.

                              Matthew Pitts
                              N8OHU

                              Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

                              Message 15 of 20 , Jun 19, 2013
                                Much of Linux is written in C, and compiled ARM for the Pi.

                                The most common compiler is gcc

                                Paul
                                5B8BA
                              • pmooney22
                                Message 16 of 20 , Jun 19, 2013
                                  Sorry Ray, have to disagree.

                                  Debian Stable (wheezy) most definately is not a rolling release.

                                  Debian testing (Jessie) is a rolling relese in that have been (fairly) thoroughly tested in Debian unstable (Sid). In a year or two 'Jessie' will replace 'Wheezy' as the stable release.

                                  I would not recommend Jessie or Sid (especially the latter) to anybody who does not have a fairly extensive knowledge of Linux.

                                  Linux Mint Debian Edition takes updates from Jessie, so could be described as a rolling release.

                                  Ubuntu have stated their intention to move back towards Debian. They have the unfortuante tendency to put dates on their releases and get them out on time, 100% ready or not.

                                  paul 5B8BA

                                  --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Ray Wells <vk2tv@...> wrote:

                                  > The advantage that vanilla Debian has over Ubuntu is it's a rolling
                                  > release so you don't have to reinstall every year or three as new
                                  > releases arrive. Just keep doing apt-get update and apt-get upgrade.
                                  > Admittedly, Ubuntu avoids most "Debianisms".
                                  >
                                  > Ray vk2tv
                                • rosswebmail
                                  Message 17 of 20 , Jun 19, 2013
                                    I would never bother with getting a preloaded SD card. I go with the fabulous "NOOBS" installation, which lets you easily try different OSs and HTPCs.

                                    http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/tag/noobs (see the "downloads" link in the 3rd paragraph).

                                    Ross NN5RR

                                    --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "John" <n0meq@...> wrote:

                                    > I have a DVap and want to use a Raspberry pi. I want to use it as a portable unit. At home it would be connected via Ethernet to a router, I was also thinking wifi on the Pi as well. This might be a large open question for debate but what would be the best OS to use? I have seen many using raspbian Wheezy. I have also seen preloaded sd cards.... Any suggestions would be helpful!
                                    >
                                    > John
                                    > N0MEQ

                                  • Ray Wells
                                    Message 18 of 20 , Jun 19, 2013
                                      Thanks Paul, I stand corrected.

                                      If you want to experience the ultimate confusion regarding "rolling" releases take a look here ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_release

                                      Ray vk2tv

                                      On 19/06/13 19:42, pmooney22 wrote:

                                      Sorry Ray, have to disagree.

                                      Debian Stable (wheezy) most definately is not a rolling release.

                                      Debian testing (Jessie) is a rolling relese in that have been (fairly) thoroughly tested in Debian unstable (Sid). In a year or two 'Jessie' will replace 'Wheezy' as the stable release.

                                      I would not recommend Jessie or Sid (especially the latter) to anybody who does not have a fairly extensive knowledge of Linux.

                                      Linux Mint Debian Edition takes updates from Jessie, so could be described as a rolling release.

                                      Ubuntu have stated their intention to move back towards Debian. They have the unfortuante tendency to put dates on their releases and get them out on time, 100% ready or not.

                                      paul 5B8BA

                                      --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Ray Wells <vk2tv@...> wrote:

                                      > The advantage that vanilla Debian has over Ubuntu is it's a rolling
                                      > release so you don't have to reinstall every year or three as new
                                      > releases arrive. Just keep doing apt-get update and apt-get upgrade.
                                      > Admittedly, Ubuntu avoids most "Debianisms".
                                      >
                                      > Ray vk2tv

                                    • Ray Wells
                                      Message 19 of 20 , Jun 20, 2013
                                        My mistake got the better of me.

                                        Looks like I missed Wheezy going from testing to stable just a few weeks back ....

                                        From http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/

                                        "Debian 7.1 was released June 15th, 2013. Debian 7.0 was initially released on May 4th, 2013. "

                                        I run vanilla Debian testing on my "radio" computers and Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE, which is their version of Debian testing) on my laptop. The desktop is still an older Ubuntu based Linux Mint (12 from memory) but this will move to LMDE when its time expires.

                                        Ray vk2tv

                                        On 20/06/13 08:59, Ray Wells wrote:

                                        Thanks Paul, I stand corrected.

                                        If you want to experience the ultimate confusion regarding "rolling" releases take a look here ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_release

                                        Ray vk2tv

                                        On 19/06/13 19:42, pmooney22 wrote:

                                        Sorry Ray, have to disagree.

                                        Debian Stable (wheezy) most definately is not a rolling release.

                                        Debian testing (Jessie) is a rolling relese in that have been (fairly) thoroughly tested in Debian unstable (Sid). In a year or two 'Jessie' will replace 'Wheezy' as the stable release.

                                        I would not recommend Jessie or Sid (especially the latter) to anybody who does not have a fairly extensive knowledge of Linux.

                                        Linux Mint Debian Edition takes updates from Jessie, so could be described as a rolling release.

                                        Ubuntu have stated their intention to move back towards Debian. They have the unfortuante tendency to put dates on their releases and get them out on time, 100% ready or not.

                                        paul 5B8BA

                                        --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Ray Wells <vk2tv@...> wrote:

                                        > The advantage that vanilla Debian has over Ubuntu is it's a rolling
                                        > release so you don't have to reinstall every year or three as new
                                        > releases arrive. Just keep doing apt-get update and apt-get upgrade.
                                        > Admittedly, Ubuntu avoids most "Debianisms".
                                        >
                                        > Ray vk2tv

                                      • John Ferrell
                                        Message 20 of 20 , Jun 23, 2013
                                          FWIW: Debian 7/ Gnome Classic Desktop, I choose this combination to learn Linux so that I would be better prepared to work with Raspberry Wheezy.
                                          Here is the report ...
                                          Project:
                                          Debian 7.0.0    i386
                                          Net Install
                                          {curly braces are comments}
                                          {whenever asked, choose classic Gnome}
                                          Parameters:
                                              Debian Desk
                                              Print service
                                              SSH
                                              Standard System Utilities
                                          visudo:    john        ALL=(ALL:ALL)     NOPASSWD=ALL
                                          ssh -X        {I don't think this neccessary}

                                          {UltraVNC would log in from Win 7, but  no sound and required host permission}
                                          Install xrdp

                                          {Now Win7 Remote Desktop works including sound. No indication on the Host}

                                          {a 20G drive was used and indicated  14G free at this point}