Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Idea for a self-contained transceiver
- Great idea. I believe there is a software defined radio package for Linux. Google sdr-ldr.'73EricKC7KLZ
On 2012-10-12, at 2:41 PM, "vbifyz" <3ym3ym@...> wrote:
Here is an idea for a self-contained low cost transceiver.
1. Raspberry Pi $35
2. 3.5in LCD display with composite input $15 (available for car back-up cameras)
3. Peaberry SDR from AE9RB $130 (shipping included)
4. Wireless KB/mouse $15 (available from Fry's/Walmart locally)
5. 12V to micro-USB cable to power RPi $5 . There are also 12V/5V power supplies available.
So far $200 + shipping. No USB sound card is necessary, because Peaberry has ADC for RX I/Q that is routed to USB and handles the rest (TX I/Q, mic) onboard.
KM5H case for the Peaberry ($25) and Adafruit case for the Raspberry ($15) bring that to $240 plus some shipping. It would be nice to have a case that holds everything together: display, Peaberry and Raspberry.
The missing piece (other than the single case) is the SDR software to demodulate the RX I/Q, to display the waterfall, to control the frequency/PTT, and to generate/demodulate digital modes. It has to work on a low-res display. Connecting an HDMI display defeats the low cost and the self-contained goals, but may be an option.