Idea for a self-contained transceiver

  • vbifyz
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 12, 2012
      Here is an idea for a self-contained low cost transceiver.
      Ingredients:
      1. Raspberry Pi $35
      2. 3.5in LCD display with composite input $15 (available for car back-up cameras)
      3. Peaberry SDR from AE9RB $130 (shipping included)
      4. Wireless KB/mouse $15 (available from Fry's/Walmart locally)
      5. 12V to micro-USB cable to power RPi $5 . There are also 12V/5V power supplies available.

      So far $200 + shipping. No USB sound card is necessary, because Peaberry has ADC for RX I/Q that is routed to USB and handles the rest (TX I/Q, mic) onboard.

      KM5H case for the Peaberry ($25) and Adafruit case for the Raspberry ($15) bring that to $240 plus some shipping. It would be nice to have a case that holds everything together: display, Peaberry and Raspberry.

      The missing piece (other than the single case) is the SDR software to demodulate the RX I/Q, to display the waterfall, to control the frequency/PTT, and to generate/demodulate digital modes. It has to work on a low-res display. Connecting an HDMI display defeats the low cost and the self-contained goals, but may be an option.

      73, Mike
    • Eric Scott
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 12, 2012
        Great idea.  I believe there is a software defined radio package for Linux. Google sdr-ldr.

        '73

        Eric
        KC7KLZ