Re: Newbie with a few question

  • Michael hamby
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2013
      Newbie,

      How long do you have to use a Pi to not be a Newbie?

      The current breed of Pi's are a little under powered to run FIdigi
      although some resourceful few have managed.

      I'm using my Pi to operate an APRS I-gate. I already have a TNC-X w/USB
      (stand alone unit) , radio and cables so it was just a matter of
      figuring out the XASTIR side of things.
      Since my Pi is on my home network I use IRDP for the IPAD to monitor.
      The Pi/radio's are in my shop, while I'm in my shack able to operate
      voice on another radio.

      watching the storms march across the state and monitoring APRS at the
      same time.

      My Go-Box has my spare TNC-X/USB, a MFJ TNC/Mic switch modified for a
      Yeasue 1800, I just have to grab the Pi and power adapter out of the
      shack and head out. Eventually I'll have a dedicated Pi in the box but
      for now I have to share. One of the features is the ability to stop and
      start the TNC when it interferes with Voice.

      XASTIR also integrates the Internet Server, requires a key to activate,
      that brings in all the smart phone and internet posted objects.

      Mike