Newbie with a few question

  • Jason
    Message 1 of 8 , May 28 9:17 PM
      Hello, All;

      I have been sitting in back of the forum reading most of the post and picking-up a few things. Which has brought me to the point of asking a couple question.

      Can anyone point me in the direction of a website or even suggest a easy starter project for me to do with my pi and radios?

      I upgraded last year from novice to tech. After receiving my novice in late 90's I got side track into other things due to life changes. But now I'm getting back into radios, computers and studing for my plc tech certification (work, related).

      Other than the joy of contacting people on the bands, I would love to get into digital modes and slowly work my way up into doing stuff with packet, echolink, and learning d-star.

      I would put my project building skill at beginner level to be safe.
      Equipment is very minimal to; Wouxun 140/440 ht, ramsey 40meter tx and rx (need to brush up on my cw), and radio shack htx-100 10meter radio with a mfj antenna tuner. Run the 10meter and the 144/440 ht out of my truck, with plans of building a j-pole and dipole antenna to put in the attic so I can play radio in the house, instead.

      Is building a soundcard interface and doing soundcard base digital modes a good place for me to start? Or is there a few other pieces of equipment I need to work on getting and start with something, else?

      I would grateful for any help.

      Jason Hopkins,
      KF4PMY
    • Kristoff Bonne
      Message 2 of 8 , May 28 11:55 PM
        Hi Jason,

        If you are interested in VHF, I have a small project "build your own echolink linknode for less then 100 euro / dollar":
        http://villazeebries.krbonne.net/hamstuff/?p=341

        Besides the raspberry pi, it requires a "digital mode" interface (which you can build yourself), a USB audio-fob, an additional VHF/UHF radio (e.g. a 2nd hand VHF 2 meter radio from some garage-sale, or a 35 dollar Chinese handheld + battery elimination unit) and (optional) a USB-to-serial adapter.

        The goal was to have a project that only consist out of off-the-shelf components and where everything can be reused for other purposed if -at the end- you descide it's not what you wanted to do. I hate it when you have x-hunderd dollar stuff laying around you bought for some project which you bought and are -for whatever reason- have become useless.
        The raspi and USB audio-dongle + optional usb-to-serial adapter can be used for other projects (e.g. APRS) and the "digital modes interface" is usefull for any other project that requires you to connect a computer to a radio (like doing digital modes or digital voice on HF).

        The actual use of a echolink node ranges from being to work whatever repeaters at low power, participating on a net in echolink conferences to designing emergency communication setups interconnected different "isles" of VHF coverage.

        73
        Kristoff - ON1ARF

        On 29-05-13 06:17, Jason wrote:

[...]

      • Stephen Farthing
        Message 3 of 8 , May 29 12:21 AM
          Welcome Jason,

          I think a fun place to start would be to use your pi as a low power beacon on the HF bands.

          Take a look at this page :-

          and follow the link to the work done by Guido, PE1NNZ.

          You don't need any additional hardware for this apart from a wire antenna linked to one of the output pins of the pi. However if you build yourself a small (100mW) PA and low pass filter, there are many designs on the net for this, your signals will get further. You can see where it has got to by getting an account on the wspr.net site

          Hope this helps,

          Steve G0XAR
        • siegfried jackstien
          Message 4 of 8 , May 29 2:09 AM
            > Can anyone point me in the direction of a website or even suggest a easy
            > starter project for me to do with my pi and radios?
            >
            > I upgraded last year from novice to tech. After receiving my novice in
            > late 90's I got side track into other things due to life changes. But now
            > I'm getting back into radios, computers and studing for my plc tech
            > certification (work, related).

            Congrats for the upgrade :-)

            > Other than the joy of contacting people on the bands, I would love to get
            > into digital modes and slowly work my way up into doing stuff with packet,
            > echolink, and learning d-star.
            >
            > I would put my project building skill at beginner level to be safe.
            > Equipment is very minimal to; Wouxun 140/440 ht, ramsey 40meter tx and rx
            > (need to brush up on my cw), and radio shack htx-100 10meter radio with a
            > mfj antenna tuner. Run the 10meter and the 144/440 ht out of my truck,
            > with plans of building a j-pole and dipole antenna to put in the attic so
            > I can play radio in the house, instead.
            >
            > Is building a soundcard interface and doing soundcard base digital modes a
            > good place for me to start? Or is there a few other pieces of equipment I
            > need to work on getting and start with something, else?

            Yes ... building a sc interface and doing some digital modes to get your
            feet wet is a good idea ... (besides the use of raspi for echolink or as an
            aprs i-gate)

            There are many things possible with a soundcard and pc connetcted to trx ...

            Echolink node, aprs, psk and all the other nice modes like mfskl, Olivia,
            rtty ... ... ...

            Dg9bfc

            sigi
          • Robert Nickels
            Message 5 of 8 , May 29 1:18 PM
              On 5/29/2013 2:21 AM, Stephen Farthing wrote:

              > I think a fun place to start would be to use your pi as a low power
              > beacon on the HF bands.

              Having a ball doing this myself, thanks to the amazing things that can
              be done to generate RF signals using GPIO 4 on the R-Pi. I can happily
              report that my 10mW Pi WSPR beacon was heard by VK2EIK in Australia
              overnight, a new DX record for me at 14,460 km. This is with a
              homebrew buffer/filter attached to my Pi, and feeding a 3 element
              SteppIR set to bidirectional mode. It is routinely spotted all over the
              US and Canada using a vertical antenna, and regularly in Europe when I
              use the beam.

              A note of caution however: I ruined my first Pi by inducing excessive
              RF voltage into GPIO4 from another transmitter feeding a nearby
              antenna. This is easily addressed with proper isolation and buffering;
              I only emphasize the need to be aware of the potential hazards of
              connecting the outside world to an unbuffered I/O pin.

              73, Bob W9RAN
            • Mathison Ott
              Message 6 of 8 , May 29 1:38 PM
                LOL @  Bob W9RAN, ive only wrecked 2 sdcard trying to over volt the CPU. Could you comment on the isolation circuit and filter your using.

                73 Mathison
              • Vance Campbell
                Message 7 of 8 , May 30 11:14 AM
                  You do need a low pass filter in addition to the antenna, as the article correctly points out.
                • Michael hamby
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 1, 2013
                    Newbie,

                    How long do you have to use a Pi to not be a Newbie?

                    The current breed of Pi's are a little under powered to run FIdigi
                    although some resourceful few have managed.

                    I'm using my Pi to operate an APRS I-gate. I already have a TNC-X w/USB
                    (stand alone unit) , radio and cables so it was just a matter of
                    figuring out the XASTIR side of things.
                    Since my Pi is on my home network I use IRDP for the IPAD to monitor.
                    The Pi/radio's are in my shop, while I'm in my shack able to operate
                    voice on another radio.

                    watching the storms march across the state and monitoring APRS at the
                    same time.

                    My Go-Box has my spare TNC-X/USB, a MFJ TNC/Mic switch modified for a
                    Yeasue 1800, I just have to grab the Pi and power adapter out of the
                    shack and head out. Eventually I'll have a dedicated Pi in the box but
                    for now I have to share. One of the features is the ability to stop and
                    start the TNC when it interferes with Voice.

                    XASTIR also integrates the Internet Server, requires a key to activate,
                    that brings in all the smart phone and internet posted objects.

                    Mike