Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] framework for self-starting ham application images on Raspberry

  • Dave B
    Message 1 of 1 , May 15, 2013
      On 15 May 2013 at 5:51, Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > Re: framework for self-starting ham application images on Raspberry
      > Posted by: "Kerry McKenzie" kermck@... vk4tub
      > Date: Tue May 14, 2013 11:03 am ((PDT))

      <Snipped>

      > I have setup an owncloud headless PI as it was the only prepared image
      > that i could find on the web,... but cannot see it from the outside
      > although i have made the ports accessible via my router however i can
      > http into it from within my network and upload file and create folders
      > etc, and even setup users. But it does not exist where i need it on
      > the outside, and because linux scatters files all over the place makes
      > it very difficult once again to fault find.

      <Snipped again>

      I also had owncloud running for a while with an attached 500G USB hard
      disk. It worked well, when it worked. But the RasPi would for some odd
      reason reset itself after a few days.

      (I now have a Nas4Free server setup for those needs. 100% free, stable
      and reliable. A bit of a fiddle to get going, but the user support chat
      IRC list is very good.)

      Personally, I would not expose any raw Pi App to the www by plain port
      forwarding through a router. What I tend to do is use a simple VPN to
      "get into my shack from outside". Then, I can do anything I want,
      remoting any of the connected rigs, passing audio etc SSH'ing or VNC'ing
      to other boxes.

      Hamachi is easy to get going Windows to Windows, + there is a 'nix
      version too I believe (or there used to be.) and tunnels just about any
      protocol you might use.

      SSHD to another Linux(Pi?), FreeBSD box, or Cygwin on Windows, is another
      option that works, but you have to spend time setting up individual port
      tunnels on the client as you need them. I use PuTTY, and/or "Tunnelier",
      at present. Both work well, but don't tunnel UDP frames, without a lot
      of has.

      OpenVPN. Well, I've tried a few times, and never made it work, yet. One
      day perhaps. Roumour has it, that Hamachi was/is based on OVPN, but
      used in secure "Bridge" mode, as that I know does tunnel just about any
      protocol you can think of.

      As you have a "veritable collection" of Pi's, perhaps one of them could
      be dedicated as a OVPN "Endpoint" for the rest of your empire? (Sort of
      violates the "never expose a Pi to the web" thought earlier, but.....)

      Has anyone made OVPN run on a Pi at all?

      Stay safe (always wear a VPN!) etc.

      73.

      Dave G0WBX.