Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] What video monitor?

  • John Lawrence
    Message 1 of 9 , May 8, 2013
      Use the yellow RCA port on the PI for composite video output to a TV or monitor.

      On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 7:48 PM, wa5bdu <kennnick@...> wrote:

      I haven't quite gotten myself to the point of trying the PI as yet. A major hurdle is what to use for a monitor. The only HDMI unit in my house is in the bedroom and I don't see converting it into my ham shack.

      How are those HDMI to VGA converters? Work OK?

      I might also have a monitor that can accept composite video, but I imagine that would be pretty low res.

      73-

      Nick, WA5BDU

    • Tim McDonough N9PUZ
      Message 2 of 9 , May 8, 2013
        On 5/7/2013 6:48 PM, wa5bdu wrote:
        > I haven't quite gotten myself to the point of trying the PI as yet.
        > A major hurdle is what to use for a monitor. The only HDMI unit in
        > my house is in the bedroom and I don't see converting it into my ham
        > shack.
        >
        > How are those HDMI to VGA converters? Work OK?

        I have the adapter Adafruit sells that converts HDMI to VGA and it works
        well.

        > I might also have a monitor that can accept composite video, but I
        > imagine that would be pretty low res.

        Another option is to use a Windows program like MabaXterm (free) which
        will connect to your Pi via your local network. This avoids needing a
        special display, keyboard, or mouse.

        Tim N9PUZ
      • Nick Kennedy
        Message 3 of 9 , May 9, 2013
          Well, you guys have been very helpful with your ideas and suggestions.  I do have a monitor on the desk that has a  DVI connector in addition to the VGA.  Didn't realize that it would be as simple as an adapter cable.

          As a back-up, I have an ancient green screen monochrome composite video monitor and a B&W TV, if I can find a modulator ...

          OK, PI, USB keyboard & mouse, memory stick ...

          73-

          Nick, WA5BDU