Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] What video monitor?

  • John Lawrence
    Message 1 of 9 , May 8 9:12 AM
      Use the yellow RCA port on the PI for composite video output to a TV or monitor.

      On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 7:48 PM, wa5bdu <kennnick@...> wrote:

      I haven't quite gotten myself to the point of trying the PI as yet. A major hurdle is what to use for a monitor. The only HDMI unit in my house is in the bedroom and I don't see converting it into my ham shack.

      How are those HDMI to VGA converters? Work OK?

      I might also have a monitor that can accept composite video, but I imagine that would be pretty low res.

      73-

      Nick, WA5BDU

    • vbifyz
      Message 2 of 9 , May 8 9:12 AM
        A used 17" or 19" LCD monitor with DVI input goes for $20-30 on Craigslist these days.
        I picked up a couple of them on garage sales for even less than that (although one required a cap replacement), plus a few HDMI-to DVI cables and adapters.

        73, Mike

        --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Simpson" <goatguy101@...> wrote:

        > I started my Pi career with an antique b&w composite monitor from RCA, originally part of a security monitoring program. The text was blurry but readable. I used it to set up the Pi and make the changes necessary to direct its output to my PC through a network cable. After that there was no need for an additional monitor. Save your $.
        >
        > Rick
        > K3IND

      • Tim McDonough N9PUZ
        Message 3 of 9 , May 8 1:08 PM
          On 5/7/2013 6:48 PM, wa5bdu wrote:
          > I haven't quite gotten myself to the point of trying the PI as yet.
          > A major hurdle is what to use for a monitor. The only HDMI unit in
          > my house is in the bedroom and I don't see converting it into my ham
          > shack.
          >
          > How are those HDMI to VGA converters? Work OK?

          I have the adapter Adafruit sells that converts HDMI to VGA and it works
          well.

          > I might also have a monitor that can accept composite video, but I
          > imagine that would be pretty low res.

          Another option is to use a Windows program like MabaXterm (free) which
          will connect to your Pi via your local network. This avoids needing a
          special display, keyboard, or mouse.

          Tim N9PUZ
        • Nick Kennedy
          Message 4 of 9 , May 9 11:29 AM
            Well, you guys have been very helpful with your ideas and suggestions.  I do have a monitor on the desk that has a  DVI connector in addition to the VGA.  Didn't realize that it would be as simple as an adapter cable.

            As a back-up, I have an ancient green screen monochrome composite video monitor and a B&W TV, if I can find a modulator ...

            OK, PI, USB keyboard & mouse, memory stick ...

            73-

            Nick, WA5BDU