Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] What video monitor?

    Message 1 of 9 , May 7, 2013
      HDMI to DVI is a simple cable or adapter, both are low cost, about 2 to 7 $ from monoprice. Works
      for me.

      Haven't looked into a VGA adapter.

      -Jim- N1JMM, KB1YPL_B

      On 5/7/13 7:48 PM, wa5bdu wrote:
      > I haven't quite gotten myself to the point of trying the PI as yet. A major hurdle is what to use for a monitor. The only HDMI unit in my house is in the bedroom and I don't see converting it into my ham shack.
      >
      > How are those HDMI to VGA converters? Work OK?
      >
      > I might also have a monitor that can accept composite video, but I imagine that would be pretty low res.
      >
      > 73-
      >
      > Nick, WA5BDU
    • max wheatley
      Message 2 of 9 , May 7, 2013
        HDMI to DVI would be better

        Max

        On 8/05/2013 11:48 a.m., wa5bdu wrote:
        > I haven't quite gotten myself to the point of trying the PI as yet. A major hurdle is what to use for a monitor. The only HDMI unit in my house is in the bedroom and I don't see converting it into my ham shack.
        >
        > How are those HDMI to VGA converters? Work OK?
        >
        > I might also have a monitor that can accept composite video, but I imagine that would be pretty low res.
        >
        > 73-
        >
        > Nick, WA5BDU

        > Delivered using the Free Personal Edition of Mailtraq (www.mailtraq.com)
        > .

      • Rick Simpson
        Message 3 of 9 , May 8, 2013
          I started my Pi career with an antique b&w composite monitor from RCA, originally part of a security monitoring program. The text was blurry but readable. I used it to set up the Pi and make the changes necessary to direct its output to my PC through a network cable. After that there was no need for an additional monitor. Save your $.

          Rick
          K3IND

          > I haven't quite gotten myself to the point of trying the PI as yet. A major hurdle is what to use for a monitor. The only HDMI unit in my house is in the bedroom and I don't see converting it into my ham shack.
          >
          > How are those HDMI to VGA converters? Work OK?
          >
          > I might also have a monitor that can accept composite video, but I imagine that would be pretty low res.
          >
          > 73-
          >
          > Nick, WA5BDU

          > Delivered using the Free Personal Edition of Mailtraq (www.mailtraq.com)
          > .

        • John Ferrell
          Message 4 of 9 , May 8, 2013
            I am confused again!
            I thought the cheap DVI adapters did not work, maybe it was just with my monitor.
            I bought the $30 adapter from Newark, It works well.
            However, after you get the remote desktop set up the terminal runs well from a Putty application in windows, and the GUI works well with the windows Remote Desktop program. I rarely use it any other way now.

            FWIW, I am struggling to make the Remote Desktop work on my Kali distro which is on a PC.

            de John, W8CCW
            This morning I bought a $15 App for my Android Xoom Tablet that also connects well as a remote screen & keyboard.

            --
            John Ferrell W8CCW
            That which can be destroyed by the truth should be.

          • John Lawrence

              Message 6 of 9 , May 8, 2013
                A used 17" or 19" LCD monitor with DVI input goes for $20-30 on Craigslist these days.
                I picked up a couple of them on garage sales for even less than that (although one required a cap replacement), plus a few HDMI-to DVI cables and adapters.

                73, Mike

                --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Simpson" <goatguy101@...> wrote:

                > I started my Pi career with an antique b&w composite monitor from RCA, originally part of a security monitoring program. The text was blurry but readable. I used it to set up the Pi and make the changes necessary to direct its output to my PC through a network cable. After that there was no need for an additional monitor. Save your $.
                >
                > Rick
                > K3IND

              • Tim McDonough N9PUZ
                Message 7 of 9 , May 8, 2013
                  On 5/7/2013 6:48 PM, wa5bdu wrote:
                  > I haven't quite gotten myself to the point of trying the PI as yet.
                  > A major hurdle is what to use for a monitor. The only HDMI unit in
                  > my house is in the bedroom and I don't see converting it into my ham
                  > shack.
                  >
                  > How are those HDMI to VGA converters? Work OK?

                  I have the adapter Adafruit sells that converts HDMI to VGA and it works
                  well.

                  > I might also have a monitor that can accept composite video, but I
                  > imagine that would be pretty low res.

                  Another option is to use a Windows program like MabaXterm (free) which
                  will connect to your Pi via your local network. This avoids needing a
                  special display, keyboard, or mouse.

                  Tim N9PUZ
                • Nick Kennedy
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 9, 2013
                    Well, you guys have been very helpful with your ideas and suggestions.  I do have a monitor on the desk that has a  DVI connector in addition to the VGA.  Didn't realize that it would be as simple as an adapter cable.

                    As a back-up, I have an ancient green screen monochrome composite video monitor and a B&W TV, if I can find a modulator ...

                    OK, PI, USB keyboard & mouse, memory stick ...

                    73-

                    Nick, WA5BDU