What video monitor?

  • wa5bdu
    Message 1 of 9 , May 7, 2013
      I haven't quite gotten myself to the point of trying the PI as yet. A major hurdle is what to use for a monitor. The only HDMI unit in my house is in the bedroom and I don't see converting it into my ham shack.

      How are those HDMI to VGA converters? Work OK?

      I might also have a monitor that can accept composite video, but I imagine that would be pretty low res.

      73-

      Nick, WA5BDU
      Message 2 of 9 , May 7, 2013
        HDMI to DVI is a simple cable or adapter, both are low cost, about 2 to 7 $ from monoprice. Works
        for me.

        Haven't looked into a VGA adapter.

        -Jim- N1JMM, KB1YPL_B

        On 5/7/13 7:48 PM, wa5bdu wrote:
        > I haven't quite gotten myself to the point of trying the PI as yet. A major hurdle is what to use for a monitor. The only HDMI unit in my house is in the bedroom and I don't see converting it into my ham shack.
        >
        > How are those HDMI to VGA converters? Work OK?
        >
        > I might also have a monitor that can accept composite video, but I imagine that would be pretty low res.
        >
        > 73-
        >
        > Nick, WA5BDU
      • max wheatley
        Message 3 of 9 , May 7, 2013
          HDMI to DVI would be better

          Max

          On 8/05/2013 11:48 a.m., wa5bdu wrote:
          > I haven't quite gotten myself to the point of trying the PI as yet. A major hurdle is what to use for a monitor. The only HDMI unit in my house is in the bedroom and I don't see converting it into my ham shack.
          >
          > How are those HDMI to VGA converters? Work OK?
          >
          > I might also have a monitor that can accept composite video, but I imagine that would be pretty low res.
          >
          > 73-
          >
          > Nick, WA5BDU

          > Delivered using the Free Personal Edition of Mailtraq (www.mailtraq.com)
          > .

        • Rick Simpson
          Message 4 of 9 , May 8, 2013
            I started my Pi career with an antique b&w composite monitor from RCA, originally part of a security monitoring program. The text was blurry but readable. I used it to set up the Pi and make the changes necessary to direct its output to my PC through a network cable. After that there was no need for an additional monitor. Save your $.

            Rick
            K3IND

            > I haven't quite gotten myself to the point of trying the PI as yet. A major hurdle is what to use for a monitor. The only HDMI unit in my house is in the bedroom and I don't see converting it into my ham shack.
            >
            > How are those HDMI to VGA converters? Work OK?
            >
            > I might also have a monitor that can accept composite video, but I imagine that would be pretty low res.
            >
            > 73-
            >
            > Nick, WA5BDU

            > Delivered using the Free Personal Edition of Mailtraq (www.mailtraq.com)
            > .

          • John Ferrell
            Message 5 of 9 , May 8, 2013
              I am confused again!
              I thought the cheap DVI adapters did not work, maybe it was just with my monitor.
              I bought the $30 adapter from Newark, It works well.
              However, after you get the remote desktop set up the terminal runs well from a Putty application in windows, and the GUI works well with the windows Remote Desktop program. I rarely use it any other way now.

              FWIW, I am struggling to make the Remote Desktop work on my Kali distro which is on a PC.

              de John, W8CCW
              This morning I bought a $15 App for my Android Xoom Tablet that also connects well as a remote screen & keyboard.

              --
              John Ferrell W8CCW
              That which can be destroyed by the truth should be.

            • John Lawrence

                Message 7 of 9 , May 8, 2013
                  A used 17" or 19" LCD monitor with DVI input goes for $20-30 on Craigslist these days.
                  I picked up a couple of them on garage sales for even less than that (although one required a cap replacement), plus a few HDMI-to DVI cables and adapters.

                  73, Mike

                  --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Simpson" <goatguy101@...> wrote:

                  > I started my Pi career with an antique b&w composite monitor from RCA, originally part of a security monitoring program. The text was blurry but readable. I used it to set up the Pi and make the changes necessary to direct its output to my PC through a network cable. After that there was no need for an additional monitor. Save your $.
                  >
                  > Rick
                  > K3IND

                • Tim McDonough N9PUZ
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 8, 2013
                    On 5/7/2013 6:48 PM, wa5bdu wrote:
                    > I haven't quite gotten myself to the point of trying the PI as yet.
                    > A major hurdle is what to use for a monitor. The only HDMI unit in
                    > my house is in the bedroom and I don't see converting it into my ham
                    > shack.
                    >
                    > How are those HDMI to VGA converters? Work OK?

                    I have the adapter Adafruit sells that converts HDMI to VGA and it works
                    well.

                    > I might also have a monitor that can accept composite video, but I
                    > imagine that would be pretty low res.

                    Another option is to use a Windows program like MabaXterm (free) which
                    will connect to your Pi via your local network. This avoids needing a
                    special display, keyboard, or mouse.

                    Tim N9PUZ
                  • Nick Kennedy
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 9, 2013
                      Well, you guys have been very helpful with your ideas and suggestions.  I do have a monitor on the desk that has a  DVI connector in addition to the VGA.  Didn't realize that it would be as simple as an adapter cable.

                      As a back-up, I have an ancient green screen monochrome composite video monitor and a B&W TV, if I can find a modulator ...

                      OK, PI, USB keyboard & mouse, memory stick ...

                      73-

                      Nick, WA5BDU