  • Teton Amateur Radio Repeater Association
    Message 1 of 10 , May 6 4:41 PM
      Hello Group,

      I am trying to load an image file on a SD card and not getting anywhere. I looked and looked all over the net trying to find some software to let me do this. Everything I keep finding says to use " Win32DiskImager". I have tried and tried and it won't show the drive letter for my SD card. I am using Vista (I know). I can see the SD card in Windows. I sure could use some help.

      Mick - W7CAT
      --
      Untitled Document

    • Michael O'Bannon
      Message 2 of 10 , May 6 5:22 PM
        Mick,

        I had trouble reading an SD card from the internal reader on one of my laptops with Windows XP.  I tried an external USB card reader, and it worked fine.

        Hope this helps some.

        Best regards,
        Michael  KD4SGN

        Hello Group,

        I am trying to load an image file on a SD card and not getting anywhere. I looked and looked all over the net trying to find some software to let me do this. Everything I keep finding says to use " Win32DiskImager". I have tried and tried and it won't show the drive letter for my SD card. I am using Vista (I know). I can see the SD card in Windows. I sure could use some help.

        Mick - W7CAT
        --
        Untitled Document

      • David Martin
        Message 3 of 10 , May 6 7:32 PM
          Since windows will show your SD card, did you try doing a format on the SD card (via windows explorer) ?

          I think that's what I did, then the diskimager recognized it ???  If I remember correctly.

          On 05/06/2013 06:41 PM, Teton Amateur Radio Repeater Association wrote:

          Hello Group,

          I am trying to load an image file on a SD card and not getting anywhere. I looked and looked all over the net trying to find some software to let me do this. Everything I keep finding says to use " Win32DiskImager". I have tried and tried and it won't show the drive letter for my SD card. I am using Vista (I know). I can see the SD card in Windows. I sure could use some help.

          Mick - W7CAT

          --
          Untitled Document

          --
          David Martin - K5DCM ---o0o---
          Mountain Home, Arkansas

          Automobile efficiency is measured in MPG, NOT Gallons per Mile.
          Amateur Radio efficiency, fun & skill is measured by Miles Per Watt, NOT Watts per Mile.

          Message 4 of 10 , May 6 8:13 PM
            win32diskimager is less than perfect on some laptop's internal card slots.

            boot up

            start up win32diskimager, check what it sees for drives/letters... then close it.

            open the windows file manager, look at what 'drives' it detects and the letter assigned. close it.

            Notes:
            1 - (in windows 7) sometimes win32diskimager associates the drives with different letters then the
            file-manager does, yet when the sdcard is installed and win32di is started it usually defaults to
            the sdcard no matter what letter is shown, crazy and definitely not re-assuring.
            2 - some laptops don't write the sdcards correctly using built-in slots, even if they say they do.
            Yet the card will write correctly in another machine.

            insert the sdcard fully in one shot, straight in. wait several seconds for windows to detect and
            mount the card.

            open the file manager again, see if it detected and mounted the card's partition(s), not the drive
            letter(s) assigned. close file-manager.

            open disk manager(fdisk) and delete the partitions from the card, make sure you know exactly which
            drive letters. close.

            eject card properly.

            wait a few seconds and plug the card back in.

            start win32diskimager and it should find the card and associate it with a drive letter.

            Remember windows doesn't understand the linux partition(s) that the image file writes on the card,
            if it doesn't understand/recognize them it wont load them. windows is also terrible at recognizing
            windows partitions located after partitions it doesn't recognize. Sometimes you have to create a new
            MBR (Master Boot Record) on the card first. There is no need to partition and format the card as the
            image file being written to it contains the MBR, partition tables, a very small fat16 or 32 bootable
            partition, and a large ext4 linux partition.

            -Jim- N1JMM, KB1YPL_B

            Message 5 of 10 , May 9 8:43 PM
              Windows will show the SD card and let me format it and copy files to and from. If I plug in a USB memory stick Win32DiskImager will see that one. So I don't know. About to just give up on it since I can't make an image.

              Mick - W7CAT

              > Since windows will show your SD card, did you try doing a format on the
              > SD card (via windows explorer) ?
              >
              > I think that's what I did, then the diskimager recognized it ??? If I
              > remember correctly.
              >

              > On 05/06/2013 06:41 PM, Teton Amateur Radio Repeater Association wrote:
              > >
              > > Hello Group,
              > >
              > > I am trying to load an image file on a SD card and not getting
              > > anywhere. I looked and looked all over the net trying to find some
              > > software to let me do this. Everything I keep finding says to use
              > > "Win32DiskImager ".
              > > I have tried and tried and it won't show the drive letter for my SD
              > > card. I am using Vista (I know). I can see the SD card in Windows. I
              > > sure could use some help.
              > >
              > > Mick - W7CAT

            • Naqoyqatsi (aka the ICM)
              Message 6 of 10 , May 9 11:22 PM
                As other people have said some PCs are very iffy about their SD usage.
                My desktop PC (running Win 7)would see the card and appear to format it for windows use via it's on-board readers but Windiskimager couldn't do anything, not even see the card.
                Eventually I tried an external SD to usb card reader (An E-Blue ERD038BK) and it worked straight off.
                I've no idea why but someone suggested it was a mix of card type/size and pc reader drivers.

                Slim Haines

                --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Teton Amateur Radio Repeater Association <tarra@...> wrote:

                > Windows will show the SD card and let me format it and copy files to and
                > from. If I plug in a USB memory stick Win32DiskImager will see that one.
                > So I don't know. About to just give up on it since I can't make an image.
                >
                > Mick - W7CAT

              • Ray Wells
                Message 7 of 10 , May 10 4:02 PM
                  It's been suggested previously but here goes again.

                  Burn a Linux Live CD (Linux Mint is an excellent choice) image to disk and boot from the resulting disk.
                  Then use the Linux instructions to create the SD card. The Live CD doesn't make any changes to your existing Windoze installation.

                  The secondary benefit is you'll have a Linux installation to help learn about Linux while you're learning about the RPi.

                  Ray vk2tv

                  Message 8 of 10 , May 10 8:20 PM
                    I have tried the SD slot on my laptop and two external SD card read/writers and none of them worked. I did think about creating a bootable memory stick and try it. In my searching I came across "BerryBoot". It doesn't solve everything but it helps to get started. In Windows, format the SD card and then unzip the BerryBoot files to the formatted SD card. Then put the formatted SD card in the Raspberry Pi and boot it up. It will boot up and go through and format it for Linux and then it allows you to pick from some versions of Linux which it will download and install them. Once that is done it will boot with a start menu of which operating version you want to use. So for now and to get started, it works pretty good.

                    http://www.berryterminal.com/doku.php/berryboot

                    Mick - W7CAT

                    --
                    Untitled Document

                    Be sure to check out all the latest at our web site and look at our repeater sites!

                  • David Rowell
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 11 5:41 AM
                      There is a "dd" application for Windows. Install it and follow the
                      instructions for finding the drive ID. Then you could install following
                      (roughly) the Linux instructions.

                      --
                      Congres' motto - "Never put off today what you can put off tomorrow"
                    • Paul M
                      Message 10 of 10 , May 13 1:24 AM

                         Another utility (my apologies it it's already been mentioned, but I don't recall having seen it) is 'unetbootin' from  http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/ Runs on linux, Mac, Windows.

                        Coincidentally I'm just using dd at the moment to 'clone' netbook harddrive  to an external USB drive, in an attempt to recover data from it after using dd to install Raspbian to an SD card.  It would have saved a lot of hassle if I'd gone to bed instead, and typed  dd if=raspbian.img of=/dev/sdb when I got up. Instead of which I typed of=/dev/sda*X( angrySo take care, unless you fancy re-installing Windows AND Arch Linux.

                        So take care.

                        Disclaimers: I have entered into no agreements regarding mails erroneously sent to this address, and reserve the right to do as I wish with any such emails.