Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Re: Another aproach?

  • Jim Sheldon
    Message 1 of 16 , May 6, 2013
      John and others,
      The Gertboard has a whole bunch of I/O that can be configured just about any way you want it.  Somehow I wound up with 2 of these and am only going to use one of them.  If anyone is interested, I'll sell this one, complete with the required cable to connect with a Raspberry Pi (normally an extra cost option not included with the board).  It's a fully assembled & tested board and I'll also include a printed copy of the latest manual.    These sell for $45 and change plus shipping from Newark and other places.  I'll let this one go $45 shipped anywhere in the U.S.

      Please contact me off list if you want it.  First email gets first refusal (by date/time sent).  My email address is w0eb@..., callsign is W0EB and my address is good on QRZ.com

      Jim - W0EB

      From the manual, here's the list.
      The major building blocks are:
      12x buffered I/O
      3x push buttons
      6x open collector drivers (50V, 0.5A)
      48V, 4A motor controller
      28-pin dual in line ATmega microcontroller
      2-channel 8/10/12 bit Digital to Analogue converter
      2-channel 10 bit Analogue to Digital converter

      > Hi John
      > Everything except ANALOG interface should be doable on the Pi
      > directly..  The analog could most
      > likely be done with some add-on chips. Have you looked at the
      > GERTboard? It is an I/O expansion card
      > for the Pi, not sure what it's features are. I think the Pi can do
      > these tasks without the help of
      > the Arduino. I haven't experimented with the I/O yet, just
      > collected up some I/O expansion chips to
      > experiment with.
      >
      > -Jim- N1JMM, KB1YPL_B
      > Visit my Pi running ircddb, dvrptr, Apache & many other things:

    • Jim Sheldon
      Message 2 of 16 , May 6, 2013
        Gertboard has been spoken for!  Got a reply within 2 minutes of my post  - WOW.

        Jim - W0EB

        > John and others,
        > The Gertboard has a whole bunch of I/O that can be configured just
        > about any way you want it.  Somehow I wound up with 2 of these and

      • John Ferrell
        Message 3 of 16 , May 6, 2013
          The purpose of integrating the Arduino with the Pi is to support the
          Arduino, not the other way around. I have a couple of prototype
          plugboards mounted on a piece of plywood (6x8") with the Pi. The Arduino
          will just be the chip, xtal & caps.
          Another project is simply to implement a MCP3008 AD with the spi
          interface. I think this is well documented at ADAFRUIT. Think of it as a
          lab project.
          Also, I think I would feel more secure with opto-isolator coupling for
          any attached relays. I am using simple Fets to drive the rotator relays
          from a MicroChip 16Fxxx processor now.
          I have yet to explore the details of an I2C lab project.

          Your web page http://n1jmm.no-ip.org/linux/commands.html has been a big
          help. I suggest you add ". <myscript.sh>" to run a script in BASH. Then
          again, may be I was working too late!
          BTW, I am looking to try the KALI linux distro on a PC to further my
          Linux skills. I understand KALI has the same roots as RasPI which is the
          Wheezy Model.
          I think the Gertboard is a good buy but I want to try this way this time.
          73 de W8CCW John

          --
          John Ferrell W8CCW
          That which can be destroyed by the truth should be.
          Message 4 of 16 , May 6, 2013
            IMHO the purpose is to fry the Arduino rather than the Pi in the case of a bad mistake. The Arduino is the cheaper item to replace.

            Weirdly this got me thinking about the old school mainframes I used to work on. The folk history says that they only had one processor doing everything. In fact this was far from the truth, many of them had processors to manage I/O for the CPU...

            73s Steve