Re: AW: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Competition heats up

  • Mathison Ott
    Message 1 of 25 , May 3 7:51 AM
      Power consumption ? no one is talking about power consumption. the Rpi only draws 700mah making it ideal for low power consumption Ive run on for over 24hr on a 12v car battery. whats the dog board got to say about that?

      Mathison

      On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 6:16 AM, siegfried jackstien <siegfried.jackstien@...> wrote:

      Hello kristoff

      Yes i also know the cubie board ...

      A nice add on is the baseboard for the cubie ... adds lcd, vga. touchpanel,
      2x8W speaker amp .... and best thing is adds a power regulator for 3.3v and
      5v that can hold loads up to 3 amps ...

      Booting up from nand flash or from sata should be real fast

      Powerful device for only a few bucks more than a raspi ...

      So now the question is not what board to take but what money is needed for
      xy application (how much power do I need and what connectors do I need for
      that app)

      Dg9bfc

      Sigi

    • Jeff Francis™
      Message 2 of 25 , May 3 8:24 AM
          Everything is a trade-off.  You want more computational power?  All other things being equal, it's going to cost you more amp-hours.  But that's a trade-off that may make perfect sense for many applications.  For many (most?) users, power consumption is irrelevant, at least up to a certain point.  A typical high-end home PC now consumes something like 300W.  Whether your Pi/Beagle/Whatever board consumes 2W vs. 3W vs. 10W has no meaning to most users.  Only if you're doing something very unusual will it matter.

        --
        -=jeff=-
      • Alex
        Message 3 of 25 , May 3 9:09 AM
          Actually, it seems the BeagleBone has slightly lower power consumption despite the higher computing power. Source (one of many): http://www.linux.com/news/embedded-mobile/mobile-linux/715298-45-beaglebone-black-keeps-eyes-on-raspberry-pi

          --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Francis™ <jeff@...> wrote:

          > Everything is a trade-off. You want more computational power? All other
          > things being equal, it's going to cost you more amp-hours. But that's a
          > trade-off that may make perfect sense for many applications. For many
          > (most?) users, power consumption is irrelevant, at least up to a certain
          > point. A typical high-end home PC now consumes something like 300W.
          > Whether your Pi/Beagle/Whatever board consumes 2W vs. 3W vs. 10W has no
          > meaning to most users. Only if you're doing something very unusual will it
          > matter.

        • Jeff Francis™
          Message 4 of 25 , May 3 2:29 PM
              Hence the phrase "all other things being equal". :D

            --
            -=jeff=-
            Message 5 of 25 , May 3 3:53 PM
              There is a general group for discussing different ARM based boards -- ArmedAmateurs, which may be a better place for advocacy and comparisons.

              This is a Raspberry Pi forum.

              On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 9:09 AM, Alex <alex@...> wrote:

              Actually, it seems the BeagleBone has slightly lower power consumption despite the higher computing power. Source (one of many): http://www.linux.com/news/embedded-mobile/mobile-linux/715298-45-beaglebone-black-keeps-eyes-on-raspberry-pi

            • Ray Wells
              Message 6 of 25 , May 3 4:50 PM
                On 04/05/13 08:53, John D. Hays wrote:

                There is a general group for discussing different ARM based boards -- ArmedAmateurs, which may be a better place for advocacy and comparisons.

                This is a Raspberry Pi forum.

                ARM_Boards_4_Ham_Radio@yahoogroups.com

                Ray vk2tv

              • siegfried jackstien
                Message 7 of 25 , May 5 1:15 PM
                  Cubieboard is in similar range as the raspi ...

                  Can be powered from 500ma usbport (if no harddisk drive connected and no
                  other power hungry device is added)

                  Cubie and raspi are nearly same thing

                  A real pc with 300 (or more!) watts of input power draws MUCH more from your
                  pocket (more bucks to pay for power company)

                  So ... if you search something like a small server (that runs 24h/day) then
                  a device like the raspi or cubie is the way to go

                  Dg9bfc

                  sigi