Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Competition heats up

  • wb4jfi
    Message 1 of 25 , Apr 30, 2013
      --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Tim McDonough N9PUZ <tim.n9puz@...> wrote:

      > On 4/30/2013 10:34 AM, Kristoff Bonne wrote:
      >
      > > Concerning GPIO pins, I did see a video on device that showed a small
      > > board (IIRC made by TI) that provides some 20 or 30 I/O pins for IO for
      > > just a couple of dollars. (the board is connected via USB).
      >
      > A simple, straightforward way to add a lot of digital I/O to a R-Pi
      > would be to use some of the GPIO pins to connect up a string of
      > serial-to-parallel shift registers. You could have nearly as many inputs
      > and outputs as you would want. The main limitation is they would be
      > dedicated inputs or outputs, not bi-directional.
      >
      > Tim N9PUZ

      Another option is to use I2C port expander ICs. These can even be "turned around" rather quickly between inputs and outputs. Phillips, TI, NXP, and others sell parts that do 8 or 16 pins worth of I/O, with multiple I2C addresses possible. For example, PCF8574 has 8 bits of I/O. The PCA9555 does 16-bits of I/O. I've used both of these particular parts, but there are others as well.

      The I2C bus on the Pi can be shared between an Si570, RTC(DS1307), PCF8574, etc, all at the same time. You only need to worry about 3.3V vs 5V pull-ups on the two I2C signals (SCL and SDA).
      Terry, WB4JFI
    • siegfried jackstien
      Message 2 of 25 , May 3 6:16 AM
        Hello kristoff

        Yes i also know the cubie board ...

        A nice add on is the baseboard for the cubie ... adds lcd, vga. touchpanel,
        2x8W speaker amp .... and best thing is adds a power regulator for 3.3v and
        5v that can hold loads up to 3 amps ...

        Booting up from nand flash or from sata should be real fast

        Powerful device for only a few bucks more than a raspi ...

        So now the question is not what board to take but what money is needed for
        xy application (how much power do I need and what connectors do I need for
        that app)

        Dg9bfc

        Sigi

      • Mathison Ott
        Message 3 of 25 , May 3 7:51 AM
          Power consumption ? no one is talking about power consumption. the Rpi only draws 700mah making it ideal for low power consumption Ive run on for over 24hr on a 12v car battery. whats the dog board got to say about that?

          Mathison

          On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 6:16 AM, siegfried jackstien <siegfried.jackstien@...> wrote:

          Hello kristoff

          Yes i also know the cubie board ...

          A nice add on is the baseboard for the cubie ... adds lcd, vga. touchpanel,
          2x8W speaker amp .... and best thing is adds a power regulator for 3.3v and
          5v that can hold loads up to 3 amps ...

          Booting up from nand flash or from sata should be real fast

          Powerful device for only a few bucks more than a raspi ...

          So now the question is not what board to take but what money is needed for
          xy application (how much power do I need and what connectors do I need for
          that app)

          Dg9bfc

          Sigi

        • Jeff Francis™
          Message 4 of 25 , May 3 8:24 AM
              Everything is a trade-off.  You want more computational power?  All other things being equal, it's going to cost you more amp-hours.  But that's a trade-off that may make perfect sense for many applications.  For many (most?) users, power consumption is irrelevant, at least up to a certain point.  A typical high-end home PC now consumes something like 300W.  Whether your Pi/Beagle/Whatever board consumes 2W vs. 3W vs. 10W has no meaning to most users.  Only if you're doing something very unusual will it matter.

            --
            -=jeff=-
          • Alex
            Message 5 of 25 , May 3 9:09 AM
              Actually, it seems the BeagleBone has slightly lower power consumption despite the higher computing power. Source (one of many): http://www.linux.com/news/embedded-mobile/mobile-linux/715298-45-beaglebone-black-keeps-eyes-on-raspberry-pi

              --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Francis™ <jeff@...> wrote:

              > Everything is a trade-off. You want more computational power? All other
              > things being equal, it's going to cost you more amp-hours. But that's a
              > trade-off that may make perfect sense for many applications. For many
              > (most?) users, power consumption is irrelevant, at least up to a certain
              > point. A typical high-end home PC now consumes something like 300W.
              > Whether your Pi/Beagle/Whatever board consumes 2W vs. 3W vs. 10W has no
              > meaning to most users. Only if you're doing something very unusual will it
              > matter.

            • Jeff Francis™
              Message 6 of 25 , May 3 2:29 PM
                  Hence the phrase "all other things being equal". :D

                --
                -=jeff=-
                Message 7 of 25 , May 3 3:53 PM
                  There is a general group for discussing different ARM based boards -- ArmedAmateurs, which may be a better place for advocacy and comparisons.

                  This is a Raspberry Pi forum.

                  On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 9:09 AM, Alex <alex@...> wrote:

                  Actually, it seems the BeagleBone has slightly lower power consumption despite the higher computing power. Source (one of many): http://www.linux.com/news/embedded-mobile/mobile-linux/715298-45-beaglebone-black-keeps-eyes-on-raspberry-pi

                • Ray Wells
                  Message 8 of 25 , May 3 4:50 PM
                    On 04/05/13 08:53, John D. Hays wrote:

                    There is a general group for discussing different ARM based boards -- ArmedAmateurs, which may be a better place for advocacy and comparisons.

                    This is a Raspberry Pi forum.

                    ARM_Boards_4_Ham_Radio@yahoogroups.com

                    Ray vk2tv

                  • siegfried jackstien
                    Message 9 of 25 , May 5 1:15 PM
                      Cubieboard is in similar range as the raspi ...

                      Can be powered from 500ma usbport (if no harddisk drive connected and no
                      other power hungry device is added)

                      Cubie and raspi are nearly same thing

                      A real pc with 300 (or more!) watts of input power draws MUCH more from your
                      pocket (more bucks to pay for power company)

                      So ... if you search something like a small server (that runs 24h/day) then
                      a device like the raspi or cubie is the way to go

                      Dg9bfc

                      sigi