Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Installing Memory Stick

  • Clayton Brantley
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2013
      Don:  I have used a USB stick on my Pi.  It was generated with a Windows XP system.  I have simply pluged
      it into the USB port on the Pi, and another computer running Linux Mint.  On the Pi, I use the file manager
      under Xwindows.  The most interesting thing is I have Linux Mint and Windows on my laptop and Windows
      does not know Linux is there, Mint will read everything on the HD!  Program files will not work, but Linux
      sees them.

      Clayton N5EV

      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2013
        Hi Don

        your mount command might need some tweaking, by default it is expecting a linux formatted device,
        usually for non-linux formats you have to specify the format to use in the mount command line.

        do these as root:
        mkdir /media/storage
        chmode 777 /media/storage
        make sure the memory stick is plugged in before doing the next line
        mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /media/storage

        check my website to see how I did it.

        there is also an auto-mount utility available that can be very handy especially in the GUI world.

        -Jim- N1JMM, KB1YPL_B

        Message 3 of 4 , May 1, 2013
          The command

          df

          Will show you mounted disks, their capacity, and free space.

          df equals "disk free"