Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Competition heats up

  • wb4jfi
    Message 1 of 25 , Apr 30, 2013
      --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Tim McDonough N9PUZ <tim.n9puz@...> wrote:

      > On 4/30/2013 10:34 AM, Kristoff Bonne wrote:
      >
      > > Concerning GPIO pins, I did see a video on device that showed a small
      > > board (IIRC made by TI) that provides some 20 or 30 I/O pins for IO for
      > > just a couple of dollars. (the board is connected via USB).
      >
      > A simple, straightforward way to add a lot of digital I/O to a R-Pi
      > would be to use some of the GPIO pins to connect up a string of
      > serial-to-parallel shift registers. You could have nearly as many inputs
      > and outputs as you would want. The main limitation is they would be
      > dedicated inputs or outputs, not bi-directional.
      >
      > Tim N9PUZ

      Another option is to use I2C port expander ICs. These can even be "turned around" rather quickly between inputs and outputs. Phillips, TI, NXP, and others sell parts that do 8 or 16 pins worth of I/O, with multiple I2C addresses possible. For example, PCF8574 has 8 bits of I/O. The PCA9555 does 16-bits of I/O. I've used both of these particular parts, but there are others as well.

      The I2C bus on the Pi can be shared between an Si570, RTC(DS1307), PCF8574, etc, all at the same time. You only need to worry about 3.3V vs 5V pull-ups on the two I2C signals (SCL and SDA).
      Terry, WB4JFI
    • Tom Hoflich
      Message 2 of 25 , Apr 30, 2013
        If you want output ports and you lazy like me, you might take a tool at this

        73, Tom KM5H

        They also do a 10 channel analog to digital converter (which I've used)

        73, John

        On 4/30/2013 10:34 AM, Kristoff Bonne wrote:

        > Concerning GPIO pins, I did see a video on device that showed a small
        > board (IIRC made by TI) that provides some 20 or 30 I/O pins for IO for
        > just a couple of dollars. (the board is connected via USB).

        A simple, straightforward way to add a lot of digital I/O to a R-Pi
        would be to use some of the GPIO pins to connect up a string of
        serial-to-parallel shift registers. You could have nearly as many inputs
        and outputs as you would want. The main limitation is they would be
        dedicated inputs or outputs, not bi-directional.

        Tim N9PUZ

      • Kristoff Bonne
        Message 3 of 25 , May 1, 2013
          Hi,

          A video I saw mentioned this TI MSP430 launchpad:
          http://www.ti.com/tool/msp-exp430g2

          From what I understand, it can be used as USB device attached to a lnux device with a USB host port.

          My question is then how to interface this with existing software on the linux.

          You can find these things on ebay for less then 10 euro.

          73
          Kristoff - ON1ARF

          On 30-04-13 23:29, John Wiseman wrote:

          Or something like this

          They also do a 10 channel analog to digital converter (which I've used)

          73, John

          On 4/30/2013 10:34 AM, Kristoff Bonne wrote:

          > Concerning GPIO pins, I did see a video on device that showed a small
          > board (IIRC made by TI) that provides some 20 or 30 I/O pins for IO for
          > just a couple of dollars. (the board is connected via USB).

          A simple, straightforward way to add a lot of digital I/O to a R-Pi
          would be to use some of the GPIO pins to connect up a string of
          serial-to-parallel shift registers. You could have nearly as many inputs
          and outputs as you would want. The main limitation is they would be
          dedicated inputs or outputs, not bi-directional.

          Tim N9PUZ

        • siegfried jackstien
          Message 4 of 25 , May 3, 2013
            Hello kristoff

            Yes i also know the cubie board ...

            A nice add on is the baseboard for the cubie ... adds lcd, vga. touchpanel,
            2x8W speaker amp .... and best thing is adds a power regulator for 3.3v and
            5v that can hold loads up to 3 amps ...

            Booting up from nand flash or from sata should be real fast

            Powerful device for only a few bucks more than a raspi ...

            So now the question is not what board to take but what money is needed for
            xy application (how much power do I need and what connectors do I need for
            that app)

            Dg9bfc

            Sigi

          • Mathison Ott
            Message 5 of 25 , May 3, 2013
              Power consumption ? no one is talking about power consumption. the Rpi only draws 700mah making it ideal for low power consumption Ive run on for over 24hr on a 12v car battery. whats the dog board got to say about that?

              Mathison

              On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 6:16 AM, siegfried jackstien <siegfried.jackstien@...> wrote:

              Hello kristoff

              Yes i also know the cubie board ...

              A nice add on is the baseboard for the cubie ... adds lcd, vga. touchpanel,
              2x8W speaker amp .... and best thing is adds a power regulator for 3.3v and
              5v that can hold loads up to 3 amps ...

              Booting up from nand flash or from sata should be real fast

              Powerful device for only a few bucks more than a raspi ...

              So now the question is not what board to take but what money is needed for
              xy application (how much power do I need and what connectors do I need for
              that app)

              Dg9bfc

              Sigi

            • Jeff Francis™
              Message 6 of 25 , May 3, 2013
                  Everything is a trade-off.  You want more computational power?  All other things being equal, it's going to cost you more amp-hours.  But that's a trade-off that may make perfect sense for many applications.  For many (most?) users, power consumption is irrelevant, at least up to a certain point.  A typical high-end home PC now consumes something like 300W.  Whether your Pi/Beagle/Whatever board consumes 2W vs. 3W vs. 10W has no meaning to most users.  Only if you're doing something very unusual will it matter.

                --
                -=jeff=-
              • Alex
                Message 7 of 25 , May 3, 2013
                  Actually, it seems the BeagleBone has slightly lower power consumption despite the higher computing power. Source (one of many): http://www.linux.com/news/embedded-mobile/mobile-linux/715298-45-beaglebone-black-keeps-eyes-on-raspberry-pi

                  --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Francis™ <jeff@...> wrote:

                  > Everything is a trade-off. You want more computational power? All other
                  > things being equal, it's going to cost you more amp-hours. But that's a
                  > trade-off that may make perfect sense for many applications. For many
                  > (most?) users, power consumption is irrelevant, at least up to a certain
                  > point. A typical high-end home PC now consumes something like 300W.
                  > Whether your Pi/Beagle/Whatever board consumes 2W vs. 3W vs. 10W has no
                  > meaning to most users. Only if you're doing something very unusual will it
                  > matter.

                • Jeff Francis™
                  Message 8 of 25 , May 3, 2013
                      Hence the phrase "all other things being equal". :D

                    --
                    -=jeff=-
                    Message 9 of 25 , May 3, 2013
                      There is a general group for discussing different ARM based boards -- ArmedAmateurs, which may be a better place for advocacy and comparisons.

                      This is a Raspberry Pi forum.

                      On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 9:09 AM, Alex <alex@...> wrote:

                      Actually, it seems the BeagleBone has slightly lower power consumption despite the higher computing power. Source (one of many): http://www.linux.com/news/embedded-mobile/mobile-linux/715298-45-beaglebone-black-keeps-eyes-on-raspberry-pi

                    • Ray Wells
                      Message 10 of 25 , May 3, 2013
                        On 04/05/13 08:53, John D. Hays wrote:

                        There is a general group for discussing different ARM based boards -- ArmedAmateurs, which may be a better place for advocacy and comparisons.

                        This is a Raspberry Pi forum.

                        ARM_Boards_4_Ham_Radio@yahoogroups.com

                        Ray vk2tv

                      • siegfried jackstien
                        Message 11 of 25 , May 5, 2013
                          Cubieboard is in similar range as the raspi ...

                          Can be powered from 500ma usbport (if no harddisk drive connected and no
                          other power hungry device is added)

                          Cubie and raspi are nearly same thing

                          A real pc with 300 (or more!) watts of input power draws MUCH more from your
                          pocket (more bucks to pay for power company)

                          So ... if you search something like a small server (that runs 24h/day) then
                          a device like the raspi or cubie is the way to go

                          Dg9bfc

                          sigi