Installing Memory Stick

  • Donald
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 30 6:44 PM
      I am trying to install a memory stick on my raspberry pi. This memory stick was used with a Window 7 computer and it is fat formatted. I made a directory "storage" in the media directory. I did the following:
      Sudo mount /dev/sda1 /media/storage.
      This produce "ssh .odt" in the media/storage. I am assuming that the memory stick is mounted. Now I would like to know if I have to format it for Linux and how do I write to it or copy to it.
      Don
      VE3HOL
    • Clayton Brantley
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2013
        Don:  I have used a USB stick on my Pi.  It was generated with a Windows XP system.  I have simply pluged
        it into the USB port on the Pi, and another computer running Linux Mint.  On the Pi, I use the file manager
        under Xwindows.  The most interesting thing is I have Linux Mint and Windows on my laptop and Windows
        does not know Linux is there, Mint will read everything on the HD!  Program files will not work, but Linux
        sees them.

        Clayton N5EV

        Message 3 of 4 , May 1, 2013
          Hi Don

          your mount command might need some tweaking, by default it is expecting a linux formatted device,
          usually for non-linux formats you have to specify the format to use in the mount command line.

          do these as root:
          mkdir /media/storage
          chmode 777 /media/storage
          make sure the memory stick is plugged in before doing the next line
          mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /media/storage

          check my website to see how I did it.

          there is also an auto-mount utility available that can be very handy especially in the GUI world.

          -Jim- N1JMM, KB1YPL_B

          Message 4 of 4 , May 1, 2013
            The command

            df

            Will show you mounted disks, their capacity, and free space.

            df equals "disk free"