Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Re: USB dongle that WORKS with FLDIGI

  • Jim Sheldon
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 30, 2013
      Hi Paul,
      I  was going to say I couldn't.  I bought it from Star Tech (www.startech.com) for about $22 US around a year ago.  Their part # is ICUSBAUDIO and I should have included that in the post - My bad.  I just went back to the Star Tech website and looked it up again.  Much to my surprise, it is still available ($21.99 US)  and in the tech specs, they DO list the chipset.  C-Media - CM108AH  so there you go Paul.

      Jim - W0EB

      > Hi Jim,
      >
      > Could you tell me the chip set of the device please? Unfortunately
      > manufacturers have been known to change the chips during a
      > production run if they find a cheaper supplier.
      >
      > If you're new to linux you can find it by typing 'lsusb'.
      >
      > Might this sort of info be useful in a group file?
      >
      > TIA
      >
      > Paul
      > 5B8BA
      >
      > --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Jim Sheldon
      > <w0eb@...> wrote:
      >
      >> Folks,  after playing with a no-name USB sound dongle and getting
      >> poor results with FLDIGI unless I really overclocked the Pi
      >> (still got somewhat erratic decodes), I came across another
      >> little plug in that I had ordered last year sometime for another
      >> project.  That project got abandoned before I ever actually used
      >> the plug.  It's sold by a company called StarTech for around $22
      >> plus shipping.

      > <*> Your email settings:
      > Individual Email | Traditional
      >
      > <*> To change settings online go to:
      > ID required)
      >
      > <*> To change settings via email:
      > Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO-digest@yahoogroups.com Raspberry_Pi_4-
      > Ham_RADIO-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

    • pmooney22
      Message 2 of 11 , May 1, 2013
        --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Jim Sheldon <w0eb@...> wrote:

        > Hi Paul,
        > I was going to say I couldn't. I bought it from Star Tech (www.startech.com) for about $22 US around a year ago. Their part # is ICUSBAUDIO and I should have included that in the post - My bad. I just went back to the Star Tech website and looked it up again. Much to my surprise, it is still available ($21.99 US) and in the tech specs, they DO list the chipset. C-Media - CM108AH so there you go Paul.
        >
        > Jim - W0EB

        That's great Jim, I've got one of those in a drawer somewhere.

        Thanks for the info,

        Paul, 5B8BA
        Message 3 of 11 , May 1, 2013
          Alex,

          I haven't heard of a way to do this - The config program metiones GPIO, but it seems this refers to the GPIO pins on some usb sound dongles. I think you'd have to modify the soundmodem source - which would be pretty simple to do.

          Sorry if this has been asked before, I searched the group but haven't come up with anything useful yet. Anyway, has anyone gotten soundmodem to use one of the GPIO pins for PTT? I am working on a Raspberry Pi tracker program using soundmodem for the TNC and the only thing missing is a way to key the radio. I'd really like to stay away from VOX if at all possible. I have seen some references to using the RTS line from the onboard serial, but I will be using the serial data lines (hamlib rig control) and I'm not sure if hamlib and soundmodem can share the same serial port.

          Thanks!
          Alex (AB0TJ)

        • bob_g3wkw
          Message 4 of 11 , May 2, 2013
            http://dl8scu.wordpress.com/2013/02/10/are-you-lucky-no-usb-to-serial-converter-needed/

            Does this help?

            Bob

            G3WKW

            --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "John Wiseman" <john.wiseman@...> wrote:

            > Alex,
            >
            > I haven't heard of a way to do this - The config program metiones GPIO, but
            > it seems this refers to the GPIO pins on some usb sound dongles. I think
            > you'd have to modify the soundmodem source - which would be pretty simple to
            > do.
            >
            > 73,
            > John
            >

            > _____

          • Alex
            Message 5 of 11 , May 2, 2013
              That does help, thank you!

              --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "bob_g3wkw" <bob.thornton@...> wrote:

              > http://dl8scu.wordpress.com/2013/02/10/are-you-lucky-no-usb-to-serial-converter-needed/
              >
              > Does this help?
              >
              > Bob
              >
              > G3WKW
              >
              > --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "John Wiseman" <john.wiseman@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Alex,
              > >
              > > I haven't heard of a way to do this - The config program metiones GPIO, but
              > > it seems this refers to the GPIO pins on some usb sound dongles. I think
              > > you'd have to modify the soundmodem source - which would be pretty simple to
              > > do.
              > >
              > > 73,
              > > John
              > >

              > > _____

            • JUAN A. GRANADOS
              Message 6 of 11 , May 19, 2013
                This discussion group is for people interested in the state of the art
                of the development of SDR (Software defined Radio) and the commercial,
                open source and experimental options available to licensed radio
                amateurs worldwide.

                Its purpose is educational and informative.

                In this new forum important things can be discussed such as:

                What is DUC and DDC transceivers? Who is making them?

                Does Hermes or Mercury, mean anything to you? What about SDR-IQ or Perseus?

                Do they cost more or less to manufacture? Where are they manufactured?
                Who manufactures them? What is a FPGA? And an ADC? Where are these
                components engineered and/or manufactured?

                What are the differences between Open Source software and Propietary
                software? PowerSDR, SmartSDR, cuSDR, Ham-radio SDR, QTradio and many
                others…? Who is writing them? What is their history?

                What about Gigabit? What is it all about? And all this about sample
                rates and slices? How do these advances impact the cost of the SDR radio?

                Is SDR for everyone?

                And, what’s this about client servers?

                How much more am I purchasing for $9,000.00? If I already have a
                $900.00/ 100W transceiver that operates all bands from 160M to 432MHz
                (70cm)?

                How important are these extreme statistics being published by the ARRL
                and other independent labs?

                Join and start the discussion at
                http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sdr-users/join?

                73